Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #21,931 of 48,562

I want play on PS3 (optical).

Okay, gotcha.  Well my last suggestion is maybe using a sound card with Optical in and out (like the Sound Blaster Z or whatever) to do the same type of thing.  You'd have to setup a PC within optical-cord-distance of your PS3 to act as the DSP, but I suspect it'd work.  You could have it double as an HTPC or something.  :-D

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #21,932 of 48,562
Okay, gotcha.  Well my last suggestion is maybe using a sound card with Optical in and out (like the Sound Blaster Z or whatever) to do the same type of thing.  You'd have to setup a PC within optical-cord-distance of your PS3 to act as the DSP, but I suspect it'd work.  You could have it double as an HTPC or something.  :-D

People have tried that sort of thing countless times already.

It doesn't work. Why? PC sound cards CANNOT DECODE Dolby Digital or DTS signals fed into their S/PDIF inputs, with few exceptions (those being old PCI cards I haven't tested yet). Apparently, Dolby and DTS don't like the thought of people being able to record such signals with PCs; I can't think of any other reason they wouldn't license out the tech for decoding on the inputs. (Do not confuse this with ENcoding the OUTputs with Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect; that's the inverse process.)

They can only take in stereo PCM or nothing at all. Processing a stereo signal (unless it's actually Dolby Pro Logic II-encoded, which only happens with PS2/GCN/Wii games) into virtual surround is pointless.

Using external DACs with pre-processed S/PDIF signals is easy with PC games, but console games? Yeah, the Smyth Realiser is your ONLY chance for that sort of thing, and you have to use LPCM over HDMI there. Better pinch your pennies!

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #21,933 of 48,562
Thanks, really helpful!

Does the PS4 let you use a USB DAC?  I don't have one, but I thought I read something about people using the USB port for sound...

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #21,935 of 48,562
Thanks, really helpful!

Does the PS4 let you use a USB DAC?  I don't have one, but I thought I read something about people using the USB port for sound...

Ummm... I think it supports USB for microphones, but IDK about general soundcards. I'd test it but I loaned my Omni to a friend, and I think typical DACs would just get stereo PCM.

If it does work though, I'll be sure to come back and say "Neeener-kneener-poo-poo!! :p "

Yep, this is it for me...

The clouds have parted, and You have achieved satisfaction/contentment?

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #21,936 of 48,562
All right question on a setup. I just got an Xbox one and the audio confuses me so tell me if this works. Optical cable from Xbox to turtle beach DSS. USB power from Xbox to DSS. Sennheiser PC 360 (has two audio connectors one for mic and one for audio) audio connector to DSS and mic connection to the chat adaptor from turtle beach on controller? So this would assume control game volume on DSS and chat volume on chat adaptor?

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #21,937 of 48,562
Sounds about right assuming you can get the chat adapter from Turtle Beach.  I thought only MS made em...

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #21,938 of 48,562
Sounds about right assuming you can get the chat adapter from Turtle Beach.  I thought only MS made em...

M$ makes a chat adapter, but basically he would need to connect an external mic to the chat adaptor and make chat audio play through the "speakers" (in this case passing chat audio through the optical cable and this DSS). The DSS only supports chat with Turtle Beach headsets, but it's overall pretty easy to work around.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #21,940 of 48,562
M$ makes a chat adapter, but basically he would need to connect an external mic to the chat adaptor and make chat audio play through the "speakers" (in this case passing chat audio through the optical cable and this DSS). The DSS only supports chat with Turtle Beach headsets, but it's overall pretty easy to work around.

I've had success with the Recon3D by plugging my headphones into the Recon and my mic into the chat adapter without doing anything in the settings.  I assume the TB works similarly, but I haven't used it so maybe not.  I wonder if the Xbone knows that only the mic is connected and routes accordingly...

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #21,941 of 48,562
I have a set of turtle beaches that I bought with the system that's why I have the adaptor. Now would using the chat through speakers method, can I still adjust chat volume on the chat adaptor?

Nope.  For me, I had to turn down the game's volume to achieve game/chat balance.  It kinda sucks for Titanfall since I want it to be loud for soundwhoring, but when **** hits the fan, I can't hear chat AT ALL.  lol

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #21,943 of 48,562
Damn : \ what if instead of a DSS I use an astro mixamp?

I haven't used that either, but I think that's one of the main selling points.  FYI, someone is selling a used one in the gear section today.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #21,945 of 48,562
Well on 360 I used one for that purpose, I just have to make sure it works with the one before I make that purchase

I pretty sure the only difference between the 360 and the One is that you need the chat adapter on the One.  Everything else should work the same.  I say this based on using the directions for the 360 to install my Recond3D and my PLYR1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back