Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 20, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #21,916 of 48,563
So something like the Mixamp that has a digital out for other dacs? Sounds like an AVR's job. Look for a used Marantz or Harman Kardon of old, that still had Dolby Headphone.

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #21,918 of 48,563
The Mixamp 5.8 has an optical passthrough. So you can use it for all your headphone gaming, and use the pass through to send to other dacs, though when you do that, you'll probably want to set your source to pcm/stereo only when using those devices, and switching back to Dolby Digital whwn using the Mixamp.

The 5.8 is sold on ebay and the microsoft store, and randomly elsewhere.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #21,919 of 48,563
Awwww man. FFX/X-2 HD gone all the way to re-master its soundtracks, but why in Yevon's name didn't the devs include proper mixing for Dolby Digital?! The game is still stuck in stereo. 
mad.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #21,920 of 48,563
@grzesmlodzian I've seen the Yamaha RX-V375, which has Silent Cinema (".... variation of CINEMA DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources ...." via headphones), refurbished at a local big box store for less than $150 and new from an online retailer for $180 (most sites have it for less than $250 normally).  Might be worth looking into.  It's also gotten good reviews as a solid no frills av receiver.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #21,921 of 48,563
The Mixamp 5.8 has an optical passthrough. So you can use it for all your headphone gaming, and use the pass through to send to other dacs, though when you do that, you'll probably want to set your source to pcm/stereo only when using those devices, and switching back to Dolby Digital whwn using the Mixamp.

And when you use the passthrough, it DOES NOT make it's Dolby Headphone mix, right?

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #21,922 of 48,563
How's that soundstage? The L2 is semi-open, isn't it?

And... pictures, please!

Soundstage is nice for a smaller portable can. It's bigger than you'd expect just by looking at it but certainly not the largest I've heard. It is semi-open which is great since I get partial isolation from the outside without the sound reverberating within the cups when I talk, meaning this could make on mean headset when combined with the BoomPro. Leakage is reasonable. It does let some sound out but not an obnoxious amount. And going back to isolation, the wife had to shout to get me to notice she was talking to me when I had music playing at a reasonable volume. But with no sound playing I could clearly hear and converse with her.

As for photos, those'll have to wait a bit. All my photo gear is packed and in storage until we move. The good news is that I'm going to have a better tabletop studio at the new place since we have the space for it. The wife also gets an art studio in that room to enjoy her hobby. It's going to be a nice setup.

Hopefully today I can get a little time with the T1, but I doubt that'll happen.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #21,924 of 48,563
And when you use the passthrough, it DOES NOT make it's Dolby Headphone mix, right?

Pass through is just that, passes through unfiltered. It sends exactly what it receives, so if it gets Dolby Digital it will send Dolby Digital, which is why you'll want to change the source to stereo/pcm if you plan on using that signal with an audiphile dac that can't process Dolby Digital, which is...most.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #21,925 of 48,563
Small question: whether exists "Virtual Surround Devices" with digital input (PS3) and digital output (DAC) ? Or bluetooth transmitter with surround support? I need something like that.

If you need a virtual surround processor that takes a digital surround signal, mixes it with virtual surround, and pipes it back out as a two-channel PCM S/PDIF stream for use with an audiophile DAC?

Smyth Realiser A8. I don't know of anything else that does that sort of thing without throwing in a DAC stage and only outputting analog; sorry about your wallet.

If you need the above with USB audio chat mixing for PS3 use? Good luck with that; your dream device doesn't exist. All I can suggest is my approach of connecting the mic to a separate USB audio device from the surround processor and telling the PS3 to output voice chat through the main audio output alongside your typical game audio.

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #21,926 of 48,563

If you need a virtual surround processor that takes a digital surround signal, mixes it with virtual surround, and pipes it back out as a two-channel PCM S/PDIF stream for use with an audiophile DAC?

Smyth Realiser A8. I don't know of anything else that does that sort of thing without throwing in a DAC stage and only outputting analog; sorry about your wallet.

If you need the above with USB audio chat mixing for PS3 use? Good luck with that; your dream device doesn't exist. All I can suggest is my approach of connecting the mic to a separate USB audio device from the surround processor and telling the PS3 to output voice chat through the main audio output alongside your typical game audio.

I agree..i remember the realiser thread a while ago when people used it with the ps audio dac and a woo audio wes with stax sr009!

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #21,928 of 48,563

Hm... this won't resolve my problem. I want in the same time use own dac/bt transmitter and virtual surround sound.

@grzesmlodzian I've seen the Yamaha RX-V375, which has Silent Cinema (".... variation of CINEMA DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources ...." via headphones), refurbished at a local big box store for less than $150 and new from an online retailer for $180 (most sites have it for less than $250 normally).  Might be worth looking into.  It's also gotten good reviews as a solid no frills av receiver.

The problem is that i want get digital virtual surround.

So something like the Mixamp that has a digital out for other dacs? Sounds like an AVR's job. Look for a used Marantz or Harman Kardon of old, that still had Dolby Headphone.

New question: Each AVR with digital output and virtual surround sound support will resolve my problem? I mean can be virtual surround sound restricted to, for example, headphone output only?

Quote:

Yes, that's it! Or possibly can be bluetooth transmitter with surround sound support.

Quote:

I put these words into ebay search. Thanks, but no. Just no :frowning2:

I don't think about headset yet. Now I only need virtual surround sound in my headphones over dac/bt transmitter without losing quality before that devices.

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #21,929 of 48,563
  Quote:

Yes, that's it! Or possibly can be bluetooth transmitter with surround sound support.

Wait, can't you just do this with a Creative Omni?  The Omni would use USB to grab the signal from a PC, DSP the virtual surround, and output via optical as a stereo signal.  Or do you want an optical-in also instead of USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back