Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #21,781 of 48,562
A little off topic, but what do you guys use for watching movies?  I current use:

I have a pair of Grado RS1 (Open style), which are really good on music. I am in the market for something to allow me to hear surround sound thru them. Primarily using a DirectTV Genie box that has optical coax out, HDMI and RCA stereo. I also have a Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 headphone amp I can use. So what are you using to accomplish this? Surround sound....  Astro Mixamp 2013?  Astro Mixamp 2011, 5.8? Recon 3D?

I may also be getting a PS4 here shortly to watch BluRay thru

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #21,783 of 48,562
So basically what I've taken from this thread is most actual "gaming" headsets are terrible for gaming? haha

Kinda... By comparison, we'd always recommend another option.

Some gaming headsets are decent, but you can always get better sound from a good regular headphone at a lower price. Add $3 lapel mic from Amazon and you'll have a flexible high quality system.

I'm picking up a PS4 tonight, any requests for streaming material? :D

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #21,784 of 48,562
  So basically what I've taken from this thread is most actual "gaming" headsets are terrible for gaming? haha

One of the reasons I found my way to this thread is because I was highly suspicious of paying $300 for the Astro A50 just because a bunch of gamers said it was the "best gaming headset on the market".  I'm very suspicious of hearsay when it comes to spending that much money.  It turns out my suspicions were well-founded.

That said, I've tried the PLYR1 and they're not bad.  Not in the same ballpark as my Q701, but decent for an all-in-one wireless solution.

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #21,785 of 48,562

In addition to what Evshrug and Stillhart have said, if you really want a headset you can easily make one. MLE has a list of headsets with detachable cables on the main page that work with the V-Moda BoomPro and Beyerdynamic COP microphones. Buy one of those mic cables and the headphones, use them together, and you have an instant headset. No messy additional cables. The most common pairing I've seen in this thread is the Philips X1 with the BoomPro. I'll be using the BoomPro with the Philips L2 later on this week to see how the combination is.

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #21,786 of 48,562

In addition to what Evshrug and Stillhart have said, if you really want a headset you can easily make one. MLE has a list of headsets with detachable cables on the main page that work with the V-Moda BoomPro and Beyerdynamic COP microphones. Buy one of those mic cables and the headphones, use them together, and you have an instant headset. No messy additional cables. The most common pairing I've seen in this thread is the Philips X1 with the BoomPro. I'll be using the BoomPro with the Philips L2 later on this week to see how the combination is.

Oh speaking of which, you lose the advantage of those if you want to use surround (Mixamp, etc) on the Xbone. You need to split the output anyways to have the headphone going to the Mixamp and the mic into the controller, so it's not as big of a deal to have the Boompro.

I'm discovering that manging the cables is easier with one long cable to my Recon and one short one from the mic to the controller (rather than one medium one with a splitter and then two more).

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #21,787 of 48,562
Kinda... By comparison, we'd always recommend another option.

Some gaming headsets are decent, but you can always get better sound from a good regular headphone at a lower price. Add $3 lapel mic from Amazon and you'll have a flexible high quality system.

I'm picking up a PS4 tonight, any requests for streaming material?
biggrin.gif

So pro gamers use and push gaming headsets cause of endorsements I'm guessing?

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #21,788 of 48,562

Well obviously. Or sponsorships. Or both.
Either way, it's a shame. It's just like the celebs wearing Beats.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #21,789 of 48,562

Well, of course.  You think LaDanian Tomlinson actually uses Visio TV's?  They're garbage.  Tiger and Peyton drive Buicks? Yeah RIGHT!  Always take professional endorsements with a large helping of salt (not just a grain).

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #21,790 of 48,562
Umm, Vizio tvs are garbage? Where do you come up with that conclusion? Just because you've seen their lower end models at Walmarts? Vizio makes excellent TVs as well. You can get mid-high tier performance for a mid-tier price, whereas other companies offer mid-tier performance for a higher price.

I have a high end Panasonic plasma (VT60), and that still doesn't keep me from seeing how good Vizio sets can be, especially their higher end offerings.

All brand name manufacturers all have crappy TVs too. You get hit and miss with all companies.

As for gaming headsets, why are they used? Simplicity? You get everything you will ever need with some headsets. It keeps setups from getting messy. It's convenience. Sure, they'll never be as good as a headphone and separate amps, mics, etc, but that adds clutter, more hassle, etc. Some people don't want to deal with all that. They just one the simplest solutions, and headsets tend to be just that.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #21,791 of 48,562
Umm, Vizio tvs are garbage? Where do you come up with that conclusion? Just because you've seen their lower end models at Walmarts? Vizio makes excellent TVs as well. You can get mid-high tier performance for a mid-tier price, whereas other companies offer mid-tier performance for a higher price.

I have a high end Panasonic plasma (VT60), and that still doesn't keep me from seeing how good Vizio sets can be, especially their higher end offerings.

All brand name manufacturers all have crappy TVs too. You get hit and miss with all companies.

This isn't the place to argue TV's.  If you don't think Vizio's are garbage, then I'm glad you can enjoy them and save a few bucks; more power to ya.  It doesn't change my point that LT probably doesn't personally use the cheapest (literally and figuratively) TV's on the market.

I definitely agree with you about your latter point though.  The PLYR1 is a great all-in-one solution and I've been using it on and off, even though I'm not going to keep it, just because it's so convenient and easy.  Like The Dude, I'm a lazy man.  Convenience is a great value.  But I also appreciate the finer things in life and if I have to run a few extra cords to get way better sound, then I'm okay with that.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #21,792 of 48,562

As for gaming headsets, why are they used? Simplicity? You get everything you will ever need with some headsets. It keeps setups from getting messy. It's convenience. Sure, they'll never be as good as a headphone and separate amps, mics, etc, but that adds clutter, more hassle, etc. Some people don't want to deal with all that. They just one the simplest solutions, and headsets tend to be just that.

Vizio holds that reputation from their early days when every single set they put to market was complete garbage. They've evolved a lot over the past 6 years and they've really improved their game. Back when I was selling TVs I wouldn't give a Vizio the time of day. They were worse than the cheap Westinghouse and RCA models. Today, though, I'd consider getting one. Of course they carry entry level stuff now, what brand doesn't, and their medium to higher end sets actually have a lot to offer.

[EDIT] I should clarify that I personally wouldn't use a Vizio as my primary television, but as a secondary tv within the house.

Oh speaking of which, you lose the advantage of those if you want to use surround (Mixamp, etc) on the Xbone. You need to split the output anyways to have the headphone going to the Mixamp and the mic into the controller, so it's not as big of a deal to have the Boompro.

I'm discovering that manging the cables is easier with one long cable to my Recon and one short one from the mic to the controller (rather than one medium one with a splitter and then two more).

I use the Recon3D with a Mac/PC so for me the BoomPro is an excellent solution if it sounds good. But you're right, when people need to connect the mic to a controller the situation changes.

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #21,793 of 48,562
Anyone have an opinion on which headphone surround processor to use for movies?

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #21,794 of 48,562
The thing is, a lot of popular YT channels use both a gaming headset and a quality dedicated condenser/dynamic mic... How do you justify that, other than by pay checks? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back