Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #21,646 of 48,562
I tok the pads off the a30 and there is a very thick piece of paper covering the driver. If you rub your fingers on the paper you will feel little holes. I poked out the holes and immediately could hear a much less veiled sound. Made it a much better headphone.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #21,649 of 48,562
I have been wondering that same thing, actually.

Maybe Mad just makes it super easy by posting his reviews separately in a post? They would just have to delete "Ok, here's my review, hope I didn't make many mistakes" and all the spoiler tags.

EDIT: Oh I see, they used code to jump straight to the section of his guide post with the DNA On-Ear. Clever. But maybe extra work? Lol.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #21,650 of 48,562
Maybe Mad just makes it super easy by posting his reviews separately in a post? They would just have to delete "Ok, here's my review, hope I didn't make many mistakes" and all the spoiler tags.

EDIT: Oh I see, they used code to jump straight to the section of his guide post with the DNA On-Ear. Clever. But maybe extra work? Lol.

I suspect the mods are going in and editing his post to add the anchors, then linking to the anchors.  The anchors have to be there to link to them and if MLE isn't doing it, it's gotta be the mods.

So I tested the DH (using DH:2) vs the THX yesterday and I like the THX significantly better.  Maybe it's just that I'm used to the THX from using it for a week now, but I found the DH2 to be not much better than just plain stereo.  This was using the Q701.

I'm curious if this may be a problem with my AVR because so many people swear by DH.  I have my PLYR1's coming in today and I'll test their DH tonight.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #21,651 of 48,562
Mar 13, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #21,654 of 48,562
Hello

I am new to the forum and new to headphones. I found Mad's guide, which is incredible, thank you so much for this break down.

I was hoping for a little advice to help choose my first set of headphones. I think I am currently torn between the M50's and DT770 80.

A little info about my situation: 
I have a pretty good 5.1 speaker system (Cambridge Soundworks, tower 300 mains) and an Onkyo receiver, which I have been using as my sole audio output for many years. I'm very satisfied with the sound and I live alone so I was never able to justify purchasing headphones. Recently I decided I wanted to add headphones for immersions sake, mainly when playing ps3/ps4 games (almost always single player campaign) but also for immersion in movies/tv at times also. On an impulse I bought the playstation gold headset but immediately realized the sound quality was not going to satisfy me, so I returned them. I'm now on a quest for proper headphones. I'm definitely on a budget as I never really intended to be doing this, but I quickly got a little ocd about getting the right pair. I realized that I will need a surround sound processor for the ps3/4, I will most likely be getting the mixamp pro. I posted a few questions in another thread re: the dss/mixamp here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/690663/ps4-with-3-5mm-x2-type-headset/210
As far as the headphones, I had all but settled on the M50's until I started to read about the soundstage (or lack thereof) even with the dolby headphone. That led me to the 770's which I think, I would enjoy but its really tough to know. I don't game competitively so, that is not really an issue. However, I do want to be able to pick out sounds I've never heard and also be able to have a good sense of direction. I just finished playing The last of us: left behind on on ps3. I definitely want to be able to hear where all the clickers are when they are surrounding me.
I guess my questions are essentially, will the m50's with a mixamp  be sufficient for me or will the lack of soundstage be too noticeable?  And re: the 770's, is the bass just too overpowering, will that be all I hear and become too frustrating?  I'm having a hard time choosing between these two situations. I also considered the the Mad Dog's. But I think between those and a mixamp it puts me too far over a price range I am comfortable with. I do want closed headphones. Also, I like the wire accessory situation of the m50x, that little detail makes me lean toward the m50's. I feel like due to the  extra short 3.5 cable I would actually use these at work sometimes as well, where the closed headphone, passive sound isolation would be so awesome. I do not believe I would do that with an attached long cable.

Thanks in advance for listening to to all this newb stuff for what I'm sure must be the 1000th time at least.

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #21,655 of 48,562
As it turns out, a revolution may be on its way to readdress the audio scene. This just in:
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/512496/first-graphene-audio-speaker-easily-outperforms-traditional-designs/
http://m.inhabitat.com/inhabitat/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F#!/entry/516a2765d7fc7b5670ae4249&origin=http%3A%2F%2Finhabitat.com%2Fberkeley-scientists-create-ultra-light-energy-efficient-graphene-earphones%2Fgraphene-earphone-diaphragm-640x353%2F&oswts=1394625070291

I've heard of this before.

It sounds like an electrostatic driver, just with a graphene diaphragm instead of a Mylar one. Old tech, new materials.

Makes me wonder if the next SR-009 or Orpheus HE/90 will have a graphene diaphragm...

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #21,656 of 48,562
Hey MLE, is the PLYR1 supposed to be on-ear or over-ear?  They're sort of right in the middle to where it feels weird to squeeze my ears in em, but they're sort of half on/half off when they're on ear.  Your review makes it seem like they're supposed to be over-ear.  I don't think I have particularly large ears, so not sure what's up.

As you mentioned, they are definitely on the tight side as well.

Compared to the Q701, they're hot (pleather pads and closed cans) and they don't have nearly the sound-stage (assuming I'm using the word right).  The directional cues are not bad, but it feels really... close by.  Like it was kinda claustrophobic after the Q's.

Sound was pretty decent though.  Obviously the Q's sound better overall, but can't complain about the sound in the PLYR1 for the price.

Based off my little testing, I think I have to agree with your conclusion:  if you want a well-priced all-in-one wireless solution, it's tough to beat.  Especially now that it's $130 on Amazon.  I can't imagine the A50 sounds good enough to warrant double the price...

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #21,657 of 48,562
My Plyr 1 had cloth pads, not pleather. And yes, its over ear, but barely. I have no doubt most people with find their ears touching much of the pads. Even mine. 3ven if you manage to get the ears inside, they will still touch the driver section.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #21,658 of 48,562
My Plyr 1 had cloth pads, not pleather. And yes, its over ear, but barely. I have no doubt most people with find their ears touching much of the pads. Even mine. 3ven if you manage to get the ears inside, they will still touch the driver section.

Okay I just double checked and you're right, cloth pads, not pleather.  Not sure what I was thinking there.  I will play some more tonight with my ears tucked in and see how that changes the sound.  Probably a lot. 
redface.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #21,660 of 48,562
Hi, please I need some help. I already own a recon3d card with a pair of CAL to use with my ps4. I want to upgrade to a decent pair of Sennheisers, but I have my doubts between:

1.- Recon3d + PC 360. So connected to the ps4 through usb. I would sell the CAL

2.- PC 363D (dolby headphone). So connected to the 3.5mm Jack on the game controller (that shortens its battery life....). I would sell the CAL & Recon3d

What do your recommend? PC 360 is 50 ohms and PC 363D 32 ohms. So does the latter need an amplifier (I don't see how to connect it to the ps4...)? Is it worthwhile moving from the Dolby from Creative to Dolby Headphone?

Thks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back