Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #21,572 of 48,562
Glad you're still enjoying those K612's, Change. What made you buy the IEMs, just curious?

Thanks! I think I've come up with a nickname for em, actually. "The Overachiever"

As for the Sony IEMs... they were on my radar since day one. I just never pulled the trigger because of their bulk... till now. I said fuggit... sold my SM64 IEMs... and ordered them. No regrets...

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #21,573 of 48,562
Juuuust out of curiosity has anyone tried the th900 with DH?

Of course. 

Is there something specific you want to know?  The TH900s should work very well with it.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #21,574 of 48,562
Thing is, ps3 has a lot of good games coming out this year. Almost all my anticipated games are on ps3, not ps4. Thats why I personally wouldn't trade off a ps3 for a ps4 just yet

Not only that, but the PS4 isn't backwards-compatible at all right now. Doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you want to play PS3 games that don't also have PS4 releases.

For that matter, half the reason I bought my PS3 was to play PS2 games! PCSX2 wasn't always working out for me, I never owned a PS2 for all of 6th-gen, and I generally preferred to have one console instead of two taking up space.

As for the PS4's current library, I see very few things, if anything, that I couldn't just play on my PC instead. At least the PS3 had some exclusives going for it.

Eep! Didn't mean to say that! Originally I was saying I slightly prefer high framerates for both, but then I changed my mind that higher movie framerates are better in certain circumstances but can be off-putting other times, and forgot to delete the games part... I always like higher framerates in games XD

Ah, the perils of stream-of-consciousness posting...it's bitten me a few times.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #21,575 of 48,562
I only used TH-900+DH with the Mixamp (no amp in the chain yet), as I don't have DH on my PC. Recently playing through Infamous 2 and now I am in the middle of God of War: Ascension. The latter unfortunately still has audio issues but due to being a Sony title it has better samples than most games and when the audio mixing works (usually well done by Sony 1st party and in this case it is often really good but akwardly dies off or cuts off (not signal-wise but within the mixing process) the Fostex proves to be my most immersive can. Thanks to low distortion, fast decay and very good soundstage it's a ******* good experience. Don't worry about the bass woofering your ears. It's really "quick" (decay) and very detailed.  

HD 800 is another reference for gaming but forget it with the Mixamp, only use it with the PC or a better signal than the Mixamp. This is why I appreciate more headphones that are higher up but still sensitive enough to run good from mobile and transportable devices. Very few TOTL can do it. TH-900 can. Use them on your receiver, smartphone, Mixamp, create a transportable setup. Not easy to do with the HD 800. My future will be with cans that are more flexible. I'm done with hard to amp stuff that glues me on my desk (yes, I could use long cables throughout the room, but really?). 

K812 is another good option with very good separation, imaging/soundstage and balance (albeit being on the sharper side) and its ability to also shine from low powered devices actually saves it a bit in its competing range (still too expensive imo).

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #21,577 of 48,562
I just had two questions.

1.- If you're using a desktop amplifier with the astro mixamp or (any dolby mixamp), is that dual amplifying the audio signal?

and second, i was really leaning towards the hd 598 but with the crack issues (and I owned an hd 555 for years), and my current living situation I really think i want to invest in a a pair of closed headphones.

So would the mad dogs by mr. speakers be the best closed headphone at or under $300? (I want to use the v moda boom pro mic too, and the OP confirms it's compatible) in terms of gaming....

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #21,578 of 48,562

Not only that, but the PS4 isn't backwards-compatible at all right now. Doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you want to play PS3 games that don't also have PS4 releases.

For that matter, half the reason I bought my PS3 was to play PS2 games! PCSX2 wasn't always working out for me, I never owned a PS2 for all of 6th-gen, and I generally preferred to have one console instead of two taking up space.

As for the PS4's current library, I see very few things, if anything, that I couldn't just play on my PC instead. At least the PS3 had some exclusives going for it.

Ah, the perils of stream-of-consciousness posting...it's bitten me a few times.

I'm kinda in the same situation too in terms of what to do for next gen.
I play my 360 a ton, but I think I'm going to be going the ps4 route-However, I really have space for one console at a time (I guess i could make it work, but it wouldn't be ideal to have two.
I just can't justify right now moving up to Next gen stuff, all the best titles on the ps4 and xbox 1 are all games that are already available on the 360/ps3. and the fact that backwards compatibility isn't available on either one just makes it harder-

I'm guessing I'll wait until fall to see if I want to go into next gen yet.

a few years ago i probably wouldn't have hesitated, but thanks to this head fi hobby-I'd much rather get a LYR or something than a ps4 or xbox one. (especially since ps+ and xbl gold are mandatory for next gen for online multiplayer)

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #21,579 of 48,562
  @prankies: Also I hear the Tiamat's are very very heavy (as you'd expect).

Thing is though, a lot of these 'true' 5.1 or 7.1 headsets get very good reviews with exclamations of 'fantastic bass, clear punchy mids and euphoric uplifting highs'...... repeat to fade. I simply cannot believe that in stereo mode (if indeed these 'journalists' actually switch to it) that 6 or 8 little speakers can sound as good as quality 50mm drivers. Plus, as you've pointed out (ouch).. there's so many more components in the mix that can go wrong.

I bought a pair of true 5.1 Medusa's absolutely ages ago (stupid me) before getting a quality stereo pair (closed - ATH A700 - not that good, but were far better than the Medusa).

@nissen ... what's your thoughts on the Tiamat (and sorry, don't mean to rubbish them by any means)?

Oh im totally with you guys on thinking they got extremely bad SQ, cause they do. I replaced them with my HE-400 (love them), but i could clearly hear all around me when playing games like CS:GO, Arma 2, battlefield and stuff like that! :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #21,580 of 48,562
Chicolom Thanks for the response. I actually started to write asking certain things but then I stopped and told myself the people that would know about them would just tell me the main attributes. I figured it'd be a good headphone for DH just wondering if there was any bad attributes or how well the detail retreival was for foot steps

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #21,581 of 48,562
  I just had two questions.

1.- If you're using a desktop amplifier with the astro mixamp or (any dolby mixamp), is that dual amplifying the audio signal?

and second, i was really leaning towards the hd 598 but with the crack issues (and I owned an hd 555 for years), and my current living situation I really think i want to invest in a a pair of closed headphones.

So would the mad dogs by mr. speakers be the best closed headphone at or under $300? (I want to use the v moda boom pro mic too, and the OP confirms it's compatible) in terms of gaming....

1)  Yes, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

2)  The cracking issue on HD598s was fixed years ago.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #21,582 of 48,562
I'm nearing the final phases on the DNA On Ear review. Just trying to eek out the finishing touches and corrections, and trying to word certain things properly. I'll probably take a break for a day or two.

Please do let me know when you are ready for the K612. I'm going to send them out on a gaming tour, throughout the regulars on this thread... and I'm pretty much waiting on you. I'll be sending to you, first, since you're right next door and it will cost me less. These deserve some recognition among the favorites, here... and it pretty much will not happen until you review it...

As far as the tour goes... I wanted no more than five people that I am familiar with. So here is who I came up with...

MLE
Chico
Evs
Axel (if you're interested)
Nameless

I'll be sending them with both sets of pads (stock and angled).

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #21,583 of 48,562
Hi so I finally made an account here. Great thread here...always a good read. Ive been lurkin for quite some time.

Im very interested in the x1s I see so many of u talking about. I currently use a pair of hd 558s with a dss1 and e11. I know the dss is probably plenty for the 558's but the e11 just seems to add a little more fullness, even at a very low level. Also have a 2011 mixamp...

I play console games some battlefield for fps's and then all sorts of other types of games.

My question is if the x1s are worth the upgrade? I enjoy the hd558s but maybe the x1s will sound more "fun" or immersive? And if so am I going to lose a great deal of my soundstage and positioning?

Just curious to hear from anyone who has heard both sets of these cans.
Thank you!

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #21,584 of 48,562

Please do let me know when you are ready for the K612. I'm going to send them out on a gaming tour, throughout the regulars on this thread... and I'm pretty much waiting on you. I'll be sending to you, first, since you're right next door and it will cost me less. These deserve some recognition among the favorites, here... and it pretty much will not happen until you review it...

As far as the tour goes... I wanted no more than five people that I am familiar with. So here is who I came up with...

MLE
Chico
Evs
Axel (if you're interested)
Nameless

I'll be sending them with both sets of pads (stock and angled).

Of course I'm interested. I've enjoy the AKG sound of every unit I've head with exception to the K550. When my new toy comes in I may do a short tour myself since I'm packing to move at the end of the month and then I'm traveling most of April. I'm sure many want to hear the flagship goodness. :wink:

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #21,585 of 48,562

When my new toy comes in I may do a short tour myself since I'm packing to move at the end of the month and then I'm traveling most of April.

I'm sure many want to hear the flagship goodness. :wink:

Hmmmm???

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back