Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #21,422 of 48,562
I can not emphasize enough that people are sleeping on these K612 Pros...

If you can spare the extra ~$165, I suggest you snatch them up... seriously...

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #21,425 of 48,562

I'd love to pick up a pair, but with both the T1s and Alpha Dogs coming I doubt I'll be doing so any time soon. Maybe sometime down the road.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #21,426 of 48,562

$179 on Amazon right now vs $199 for the Q701.  How do the two compare?

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #21,427 of 48,562
After a good while I managed to have a long gaming run yesterday and finished Infamous 2 on the PS3. 

As usual for Sony 1st Party titles sound samples are better than multiplatform games (see Far Cry 3 and the lack of detail in any sample, smeared and washed out in general) so the Mixamp kinda "shined" 
wink.gif
. Infamous 2 lacks believable ambience unfortunately (sometimes it's dead silent) but has great music accompanying you throughout the game with big focus on bass and drums and ambience is forgotten during massive battles. In general the sound design is better than the usual multiplat. 

I'm still in search for an (mobile) amping device to add to the Mixamp. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #21,428 of 48,562
Well I got the Astro Mixamp Pro yesterday, I think it's great value for money but I think Dolby Headphone is awful.  The difference in sound quality between stereo and that was huge when playing Tomb Raider.  I can certainly see an advantage in FPS games (which I don't play) but overall, give me stereo any day.   Got to decide now if I send it back or keep it, it does have the advantage of allowing me to use a mic in future although this is unlikely, and after looking around I don't see many alternatives for the same price or less (£116).  Most DAC/AMP combos I see don't have optical in or are some dodgy make nobody has ever heard of.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #21,429 of 48,562
People keep comparing a headphone stereo to a dsp that mimics a room full lf speakers. Of course there is gonna be a huge difference and DH isn't gonna sound as 'nautral' to a headphone as plain stereo.

Once you get over the shock of it not being a STEREO HEADPHONE sound, you'd see that DH can be quite good, and im not just talking about it's positional cues. People really needtk stop comparing the two, as it's night and day.

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #21,430 of 48,562
The trade-off in SQ between Stereo and room-based HRTF for immersion and believability is worth it. Pure stereo gaming and blind spotting or surround feel is a lie. The brain can only "correct" so much but never "create" the feeling of a 3D soundfield out of "simple" stereo. I understand not wanting to give up SQ at all times (as we don't for music) but I personally can "shut it off" for games and movies.

Additionally: Dolby Headphone over an STX or fed to a good DAC/Amp (from a soundcard/device) is a huge difference in SQ over a Mixamp, it's night and day. I remember purely testing SQ in BF3 PC@Xonar STX vs. DD5.1 -> Mixamp, it was shocking, no hyperbole. The Mixamp is just the best we can work with with consoles unless we drop a lot money for a Headzone.

The less the SQ is affected the better of course. Best compromise right now is SBX (Headzone is even a bit better and Realizer the reference) but it's not for consoles. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #21,431 of 48,562
I felt less immersed using the DS on Tomb Raider.  Suddenly, those thundering gunshots being fired at me had lost all punch and weight, then there was the intricate sound of water that had now become faint and shallow.  Yet I could just as easily tell the direction with the DS turned off.  I'm personally going down the route now of thinking that there is no substitute for having 5 physical speakers placed around you and stereo is simply the way forward for headphones.  I need to try some different games I think but certainly on that one I wasn't feeling it.  Will spend a good few hours with it on tonight and see if I can learn to appreciate it more.
I thought the Mixamp contained a DAC anyway?  I'm going to look into this Headzone thing and see if I can tell the difference ifI order it.
This Head Zone seems very old and hard to find.  Direct is like £700, not sure I'm willing to part with that tbh.

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #21,432 of 48,562
Of course it has a DAC, else you wouldn't be able to hear anything. 
evil_smiley.gif

I worded it lazy and actually meant Xonar Essence STX or "DHP soundcard/device --> digital out --> good DAC/AMP" > Mixamp (world's apart in quality).

The Headzone might be old in graphics card cycle terms but it's room HRTF is still better than all that are priced below it. 700 bucks is too much though.
Tomb Raider is more of a game whose sound design relies on ambience, shock/tension rather than listenning for positions/directions. Kinda like Dead Space. 
Still, your problem is the Mixamp.

Would be easier for you to get a gaming PC with a good soundcard.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #21,433 of 48,562
I have both but I tend to play more games on consoles these days.  I wonder if I'd be happier if I got a decent DAc/AMp like The Mav Audio Tube Magic and just forget about the DS as I've gamed just fine without it for 20 years.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #21,434 of 48,562
Could need some advice with what headphones to buy. Appreciate all the help.

So i mostly play games on ps3, xbox and a few pc games and i am going to start playing ps4 games later this year also. I have never had any headphones for gaming before so i am not sure what would be good for the consoles. I have looked at ATH-M50, Sony MA900, ATH-AD700x, AKG K701, AKG K702, Sennheiser Momentum and Sennheiser HD598. I really liked ATH-M50 but they didnt do very well in positional audio and i am not sure if they would get better at that with the mixamp pro. The ATH-AD700x, AKG K701, AKG K702 and the Sony MA900 are very good at that i read in this forum and they are about the same price in my country except the MA900 which are 50 dollars cheaper. So i really cant decide what would be the best for me and need some advice. And my budget is around 320-350 dollars.

And since i am playing on consoles a mixamp is a must for good sound?

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #21,435 of 48,562
Ok so I am guessing the amp on the 2011 mixamp is different than the 2013 right? The reason I ask is on my X1's I am having to pump up the volume quite a lot higher than I did with the 2013s. 

Can the 2011 run the same types of cans as the 2013 and just as well? Kind of surprised how high I have to crank the volume...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back