Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 27, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #21,316 of 48,562
Is x1 naticable upgrade over astro a40.....mainly soundstage and directional cues

The X1 is the best in its own price range as well, no chance for the A40 at all. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #21,317 of 48,562
Ple

Please leave your feedback when you have your opinion done about it :)

Played last night BF4/PS4 and watch a movie.

A M A Z I N G !

All MLE said is true.

Bass is on my point and engagement, for gaming I don't want lower or higher, punch is strong when it's called, great mids and fantastic soundstage.

Playing BF4 engage another level.

Very pleasured and surprised with this set.

Zalman mic is mehr, I'm waiting modmic V4 mute.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #21,318 of 48,562
So, I have read here and elsewhere that if you run a mic with the mixamp then you may have trouble driving the headphones properly without an amp. 

Is this only for harder to drive cans or does this apply to the HD 598 and the X1's as well as those are the two I will be playing around with.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #21,319 of 48,562
  So, I have read here and elsewhere that if you run a mic with the mixamp then you may have trouble driving the headphones properly without an amp. 

Is this only for harder to drive cans or does this apply to the HD 598 and the X1's as well as those are the two I will be playing around with.

My X1 with the BoomPro mic sounds great when connected to my Astro wireless mixamp.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #21,320 of 48,562

Mainly harder to drive headphones.  The X1 and HD598 will be fine in terms of volume.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #21,321 of 48,562
Well, since MS announced that they're not going to have virtual surround through the controller in the Titanfall patch, I'm considering running a long cable across the room to my AVR for DH.  Should I be worried about sound degradation if I get a 15' extension cable from Monoprice?

This will be used to run my (incoming) X1's through my HK AVR340.  Alternatively, I was thinking about grabbing a wireless Mixamp, but I strongly suspect the wireless will degrade sound quality more than a long cable.  Also it's like $100 more.

On a side note, if this works out well, I may buy a Q701 to see how it compares to the X1.  Since I'll be running it through my AVR, the Q's need amplification shouldn't be a problem.  I'd then sell off the one I like less.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #21,322 of 48,562
Thanks for the replies guys. Mostly used these on a PC gaming rig but since I got a PS4 decided to get a mixamp pro :) So far so good, boompro is coming today :p

Now to sort out an amp/dac for music and movies since my xonar died and the x-fi I have been using sounds pretty bad. Any suggestions? Was looking at the magni/modi setup. Any suggestions for something cheaper? Been spending enough lately and girlfriend may stab me soon :D

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #21,324 of 48,562
I currently have DT990 Pro's 250ohm and I'm looking to get another headset that's easier to drive and sounds just as good or better. What would you all recommend?

I don't like being tethered to an amp all the time if you know what I mean.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #21,326 of 48,562
  Well, since MS announced that they're not going to have virtual surround through the controller in the Titanfall patch, I'm considering running a long cable across the room to my AVR for DH.  Should I be worried about sound degradation if I get a 15' extension cable from Monoprice?

This will be used to run my (incoming) X1's through my HK AVR340.  Alternatively, I was thinking about grabbing a wireless Mixamp, but I strongly suspect the wireless will degrade sound quality more than a long cable.  Also it's like $100 more.

On a side note, if this works out well, I may buy a Q701 to see how it compares to the X1.  Since I'll be running it through my AVR, the Q's need amplification shouldn't be a problem.  I'd then sell off the one I like less.

I have a Marantz AVR with DH and use long cable runs.  I have 3 monoprice "designed for mobile" cables; a 10' M/M, a 6' F/M ext, and a 12' F/M ext.  I've used both extension lengths on the X1 and the Annies and haven't noticed any difference in quality.  I remember asking about cable length when I got my AVR last year and I believe MLE told me the increase in length shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps!

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #21,328 of 48,562

I have a Marantz AVR with DH and use long cable runs.  I have 3 monoprice "designed for mobile" cables; a 10' M/M, a 6' F/M ext, and a 12' F/M ext.  I've used both extension lengths on the X1 and the Annies and haven't noticed any difference in quality.  I remember asking about cable length when I got my AVR last year and I believe MLE told me the increase in length shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps!

That helps a lot, thanks!  Does your Marantz drive the Annies well without any additional amping?

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #21,329 of 48,562

They significantly widen the soundstage, allowing the added bass/warmth ample room to excel. And... did I mention it improves the detail and clarity, as well? 

I have the K702 pads on the K612s and I just can't agree with that...
To my ears, it did add bass but it threw the imaging out of place and the clarity deteriorated...
I wish it had the same effect as it had on you cause they were incredibly comfy...
My ears must be malfunctioning 
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #21,330 of 48,562
  That helps a lot, thanks!  Does your Marantz drive the Annies well without any additional amping?

Yeah, to me it does fine.  I don't have a lot of experience with headphone amps (I've only owned a Magni, which I used to double-amp the Annies off the Mixamp).  But MLE owned a Marantz AVR for a while back when he had his Annies and he felt they were adequately driven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back