Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 26, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #21,271 of 48,562
I wanted to give a quick update on my Astro wireless mixamp, X1 + BoomPro setup. I installed a rechargeable battery about 2 weeks ago and charged it to max capacity. I've been gaming on my PS4 at least an hour a day and the battery has yet to die. Amazing battery life compared to 3 AAA batteries which lasted almost 3 hours max! Wow! BTW, X1 + BoomPro + Astro wireless mixamp = amazing. If Sony releases a firmware update that raises the chat volume when using the USB PS3/PC chat cable, this setup will be perfect. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #21,272 of 48,562
Hi all I have just started on headphone journey I have just purchased as set of astro a40's second hand (around 2 months old) to get the mixamp (2013 mix amp pro).
I am trying to decide if I should I dive in a buy a set of ad700 straight up and sell the astro headset as they line up with my budget or wait and see how the astros sound? I mainly play FPS games.
I will be using them on a xbox one via a hdmi audio extractor so I can get 5.1 until Microsoft sort themselves out.
Any thoughts?

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #21,273 of 48,562
REceived today my new toys for gaming, Mixamp PRO 2013 + MA900 + zalman mic, can't wait to play BF4.

Listing music with then is quite impressive, very happy at moment.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #21,277 of 48,562
It has detachable cable, the mic is in the cable i think. so I am wondering if it is compatible with Boompro ? is CAL!2 significantly better than CAL!1 ?

and how about HD598, is it compatible with boompro ?

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #21,278 of 48,562
The original CAL! (designed by Fostex) sounds better than the CAL2!, though I haven't seen any reviews on their new gold and platinum offerings.

The HD598 has a special connector, FWIR not compatible with a BoomPro

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #21,279 of 48,562
Just got my K612s back....

Put some K702 pads on em that I ordered while they were gone... and man...

DAT BASS!!!

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #21,281 of 48,562
Nothing too fancy, just a cheap retermination for a detachable cable. The hanging entry is longer than I anticipated, but its best so it won't always be rubbing against the cup....

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #21,282 of 48,562
Pretty...

On another note, I've hooked up my Yamaha again. First, the amp in this is pretty nice... Not detecting any treble fatigue in my k712's (with Q701 pads) and power delivery is smooth. Well, sometimes it seems like the bass is clipping a little... But that could just be the downloadable Guardians of Light. Halo: Reach is as good as I remembered this way, with my now-knowledge of Dolby Headphone it does indeed sound very similar, though the "standard" movie DSP has a bit more reverb and basically is what I'd imagine DH mode 3 to be like. You can adjust the strength of Silent Cinema's surround effect, so it's like a more granular adjustment between DH Mode 1, 2, and 3. Very much a "Dolby headphone" clone. Haven't fiddled with every single setting yet. For example, I wonder what happens if I apply Dolby Pro llz to a 5.1 DDL signal?

The most evident thing, however, was getting used to the TV here... It's a 55" LED 3D "Smart TV" by Panasonic, I turned on game mode and as many enhancements as I could to "off;" I can't actually "see" a delay, I just can't pull off the super-fast aim adjustments as frequently as I could using a VGA cable to my monitor. It's also hard to understate the effect of going from sitting in front of a 20" monitor to trying to find the optimal distance (sitting on a table, lol) to take in a 55" screen and not be overwhelmed by the sheer scale of what you're taking in. It definitely has intensely good picture quality though. Call me weird... but I may have to switch to my smaller 42" plasma, once I get that set up (somewhere).

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #21,283 of 48,562
  Just got my K612s back....

Put some K702 pads on em that I ordered while they were gone... and man...

DAT BASS!!!

Really? Does it screw with anything else? plus, what material are they?

Gingo's, the 612 with more bass would be orgasmic.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #21,284 of 48,562
  Really? Does it screw with anything else? plus, what material are they?

Gingo's, the 612 with more bass would be orgasmic.

The soundstage is significantly wider, which is a plus considering the enhanced bass. The K702 pads are made of the same material, just thicker and angled.

I was going to go for the memory foam pads of the K712/Annie, but am glad I didn't. They may end up TOO bassy/warm with those... since they add more bass to the signature and reduce the soundstage when compared to the angled pads.

Edit: And oh, by the way, to those MA900 owners who would like they're cable reterminated for a detachable 3.5mm option (for the BoomPro)... @Zombie_X said he'd be willing to do it for a reasonable price.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #21,285 of 48,562
Pretty...

On another note, I've hooked up my Yamaha again. First, the amp in this is pretty nice... Not detecting any treble fatigue in my k712's (with Q701 pads) and power delivery is smooth. Well, sometimes it seems like the bass is clipping a little... But that could just be the downloadable Guardians of Light. Halo: Reach is as good as I remembered this way, with my now-knowledge of Dolby Headphone it does indeed sound very similar, though the "standard" movie DSP has a bit more reverb and basically is what I'd imagine DH mode 3 to be like. You can adjust the strength of Silent Cinema's surround effect, so it's like a more granular adjustment between DH Mode 1, 2, and 3. Very much a "Dolby headphone" clone. Haven't fiddled with every single setting yet. For example, I wonder what happens if I apply Dolby Pro llz to a 5.1 DDL signal?

The most evident thing, however, was getting used to the TV here... It's a 55" LED 3D "Smart TV" by Panasonic, I turned on game mode and as many enhancements as I could to "off;" I can't actually "see" a delay, I just can't pull off the super-fast aim adjustments as frequently as I could using a VGA cable to my monitor. It's also hard to understate the effect of going from sitting in front of a 20" monitor to trying to find the optimal distance (sitting on a table, lol) to take in a 55" screen and not be overwhelmed by the sheer scale of what you're taking in. It definitely has intensely good picture quality though. Call me weird... but I may have to switch to my smaller 42" plasma, once I get that set up (somewhere).

I used to play on a 47'' tv. (Cod) I was like a 1.2 player. I bought a 24'' gaming monitor and I'm a 2 k/d player. When you stretch 1080p over 30'',it creates input lag. Your better off on a monitor. Something that's 5ms or lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back