Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 24, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #21,226 of 48,562
I haven't reviewed those headphones. Since I haven't heard/reviewed them, no way will I say whether they're good or not. As closed, isolating headphones, I don't think I'd like them that much for gaming. Open is the way to go for me, save for a few exceptions like the Alpha Dog (which won't even work with the BoomPro). I have NOT confirmed the Ultrasones, and calpis has told me the jacks are recessed, so it may NOT work for those Ultrasones.

That list is just a list stating what the BoomPro WOULD connect to. It is not a recommendations list. I bolded the X1, because that IS a recommended headphone for gaming.

If I get someone else ask me the same thing about those headphones off that list, I will be removing the list (nothing against you, just I don't want the same question asked about headphones I haven't tested) and changing it to a list of headphones I recommend with the BoomPro. Since I have not owned/tested almost ANY good headphones with a detachable 3.5mm cable that would be good for gaming, the list would be quite miniscule.

BoomPro does improve sound quality compared to a aux line with a mic / controller. I have one but barely use it, only good for stationary listening.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #21,227 of 48,562
The point of the boompro wasn't to improve the sound quality. It's to have a boom mic on your headphones. I'm not a firm believer of cable-fi in general. As long as the cable isn't complete crap or have high resistance, anything will do.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post. :frowning2:

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #21,228 of 48,562

Hi Mad Lust Envy, could you give me some of your time and try giving me a opinion here? As you tried them, I guess you are a good person to talk a little more about. Thanks in advance,

Lucas Bezerra.

Hi guys, I hope I get some good advice here =). Let's say it, I need the "best headphones" (I know this word doesn't exist in therms of audio, but...) that I can get for competitive first person shooter gaming sessions that also MUST fit a rock lover requirements for a outstanding eargasm. As I'm a starter, my budget for the HP is something like $250 (the less, the better). The HP will be paired with a Creative Soundblaster Z as I need a good 3D view of my enemies/mates location and, IF needed, a Schiit Magni Amplifier can be also put in the cart (you can also make your point here). Maybe I use it on my guitar amp too. I'm gonna use it for something like 8h/day at the vacations, so it needs to be very comfortable and pleasant (my Porta Pro bends my hair almost permanently and this makes me very, very angry). I'm not going to say the music-to-gaming using time ratio because I really think I need something good at both, but if you want cut anything out, I prefer the music quality over the gaming (not too much). Said that statements and after read this Guide, I think these are my options: AKG Q701 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 vs Philips Fidelio X1 vs Sony MA900 vs HiFiMAN HE-400. What do you think? If I forgot anything that can make your recommendation easier just tell me and I will add it. A little help from the thread starter would be also very appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you and sorry for any English Grammar murdering,

Lucas Bezerra.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #21,231 of 48,562
Hi mad lust envy
Would you call the following a good middle of the road setup as on a budget

Akg k451
beyerdynamic Custom ONE PRO mic
DSS2 Dolby Processor by Turtle Beach

1. Would you guess they work together
2. I can pick it up for 130£ off amazon.co.uk
3. Should I save for the astro mixamp pro 2013 or wait for 2014 model
4. It's for the ps4 and for listening to music on he go

Thanks

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #21,232 of 48,562
I havent reviewed any of these, and I just finished saying I won't recommend something I haven't tested.

As for either DSS, they do NOT work with a mic, unless you have a turtle beach headset or if you have a generic usb soundcard to use with the ps3/4 (dss2). I wouldn't recommend the DSS2 if because it uses a generic virtual surround, not dolby headphone.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #21,234 of 48,562
Just finished building my rig. I noticed that the xonar DGX performs worse than U3 on dolby headphone.
The surround sound on u3 is better imo than DGX. Maybe its just my feeling, but I can't get the surround feeling from U3 with the DGX.
Xonar DGX optic-->Aune X1 mk2 dac-->fidelio X1/swans D1010-IV

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #21,235 of 48,562
You make sure everything was set up the same? Also, do a speaker test in the devices menu. Sometimes it likes to stick to a messed up 2 channel even when you chose multiple.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #21,236 of 48,562
You can't go wrong with the X1.

Thanks for the feedback. I made a more carefully and accurate reading at your reviews and now I'm "just" between the Fidelio X1, the MA900 and the Q701 (remember I can have all for almost the same price). But, by what you said at the reviews, I really loved the Fidelio X1. But, as I live at a pretty warm place, I'm pretty afraid their earpads can wear out quickly and, as they aren't replaceable, this could be a big issue for me (unless another HP's earpads can fit them well or Philips sell spares)... This is the only thing that is making me afraid from buying the Fidelio X1. Could you give me your point here (I'm not asking only for Mad Lust Envy, anyone that feels comfortable to speak about please do it)? Thank you very much,

Lucas Bezerra.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #21,237 of 48,562

The mic won't work with the DSS for the same reason most mics won't work with it; The DSS only supports USB headset mics.  The Auvio mic terminates into two 3.5mm jacks (audio and mic).

What if I plug an USB Stereo Audio Adapter to the DSS?

or

Should work, right?

I can't get the V-Moda, but the Auvio is relatively cheap here too.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #21,240 of 48,562
I don't have experience with the mix amp since the seven controller is the only one I have experience with. So far it's worked with the ps4/Xbox as far as audio is concern.....voice chat we will have to see. I think Microsoft will have the adapter at the beginning of March so I'll about it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back