Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #21,166 of 48,562
Hi all.  I currently have the AD700 and Antlion Modmic 1.0 setup, and game on the Xbox One.  The extra cable of the modmic and the length of the AD700's cable will be a nusaince with the upcoming Xbox One's headset  adapter.  I will have two 9' cables running from the headphones to the controller.  Herein lies my dilemna:

Is is cost-effective to modify the AD700 so that the cable is detachable (allowing my to use the BoomMic Pro)?  If it is cost-effective, who does such mods?  I am in the US.
Would I be better off to just buy the Fidelio X1 than to spend money modding the AD700?

Perhaps off topic or better mentioned elsewhere, but I am concerned that the audio quality running through a wireless gaming controller will be poor.  However the Xbox One's digital out is "stereo only" and my Denon AVR can't extract audio from HDMI and convert to a digital output.  I don't know of any alternative to relying on the controller other than a purchase something to extract audio from an HDMI cable and output in digital form.  Any I missing something?

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #21,168 of 48,562
Okay, thanks. I was half asleep when I wrote that, so I was really talking about the M50's with the detachable cable, haha.

Actually, if you bought one of the pre-detachable cable modded older M50's from soundprofessionals.com then the BoomPro would work with it.

Is is cost-effective to modify the AD700 so that the cable is detachable (allowing my to use the BoomMic Pro)?  If it is cost-effective, who does such mods?  I am in the US.
Would I be better off to just buy the Fidelio X1 than to spend money modding the AD700?

You mean like this?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-2-20-2014-boompro-list-chicoloms-faq-added/16470#post_9777946

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #21,169 of 48,562

You mean like this?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-2-20-2014-boompro-list-chicoloms-faq-added/16470#post_9777946

Indeed, that is a picture of what I am considering.  I have watched videos of the modification process and don't trust my skills enough to do it myself.  Can someone recommend a person/shop to do the modification?

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #21,171 of 48,562
Hi all, 

Thank you Mad Lust Envy for writing this guide. I had gone to Best Buy to get a gaming headset for Titanfall on Xbox One, and cringed when I checked out their "top of the line" turtle beach and astro sets sets. I knew there had to be a better way, and you provided it. 

So here's what I was planning on doing. I got a Turtle Beach DSS (original version), and a Modmic. 

Audio - Xbox One > Optical DSS > Headphones
Voice Modmic > 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter > Xbox One Chat Adapter > Xbox One Controller

The only unknown right now is headphones. I have a few choices, because I am ridiculous.

Audio Technica EW9 clipons
Beyerdynamic T50p
Beyerdynamic T70
Beyerdynamic T1
Audio Technica ATH-W11r

Which one should I use? I'm more interested in competitiveness, then fun, then comfort. I feel like the T1 and T70 would be hard to drive. 

Any ideas on which headphones I should choose would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Prepare for Titanfall!

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #21,172 of 48,562
  Hi all, 

Thank you Mad Lust Envy for writing this guide. I had gone to Best Buy to get a gaming headset for Titanfall on Xbox One, and cringed when I checked out their "top of the line" turtle beach and astro sets sets. I knew there had to be a better way, and you provided it. 

So here's what I was planning on doing. I got a Turtle Beach DSS (original version), and a Modmic. 

Audio - Xbox One > Optical DSS > Headphones
Voice Modmic > 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter > Xbox One Chat Adapter > Xbox One Controller

The only unknown right now is headphones. I have a few choices, because I am ridiculous.

Audio Technica EW9 clipons
Beyerdynamic T50p
Beyerdynamic T70
Beyerdynamic T1
Audio Technica ATH-W11r

Which one should I use? I'm more interested in competitiveness, then fun, then comfort. I feel like the T1 and T70 would be hard to drive. 

Any ideas on which headphones I should choose would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Prepare for Titanfall!

You have some pretty high priced options on there. Is this strictly for gaming on an Xbox One or are their plans beyond that? If so, what are they?

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #21,173 of 48,562
This is for gaming on my Xbox One. Those are my surplus headphones.

My home setup is CAPS Media Server > Audio-Gd Master 7 > Audio-Gd Master 6 > LCD-2 R1s
My work setup is RWAK100-S > Apex Glacier > Edition 8s

I'm pretty much played out on those setups, and want to put my headphones that are just lying around to good use, before I buy anymore. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #21,174 of 48,562
Perhaps off topic or better mentioned elsewhere, but I am concerned that the audio quality running through a wireless gaming controller will be poor.  However the Xbox One's digital out is "stereo only" and my Denon AVR can't extract audio from HDMI and convert to a digital output.  I don't know of any alternative to relying on the controller other than a purchase something to extract audio from an HDMI cable and output in digital form.  Any I missing something?

Why would you want to take the HDMI audio path and cram that into S/PDIF to output to another DAC instead of just directly working with the HDMI audio signal?

In other words, what you really want is a headphone surround processor that has HDMI. Unfortunately, your wallet isn't going to like the choices:

1. Replace your Denon AVR with a different AVR that has built-in Dolby Headphone mixing and HDMI inputs, like some older triple-digit Harmon/Kardon models and the Marantz SR5001/SR5002.
  2. Pay up the big bucks for a Smyth Realiser A8, which accepts LPCM over HDMI.

I'm still wishing that the console surround processor manufacturers would wise up and make their devices with HDMI inputs and passthroughs for the video. There's no other way to get a discrete-channel surround sound signal out of the Wii U, and I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 and Xbox One are the last consoles of their lineups to bear S/PDIF outputs.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #21,175 of 48,562

Why would you want to take the HDMI audio path and cram that into S/PDIF to output to another DAC instead of just directly working with the HDMI audio signal?

In other words, what you really want is a headphone surround processor that has HDMI. Unfortunately, your wallet isn't going to like the choices:

1. Replace your Denon AVR with a different AVR that has built-in Dolby Headphone mixing and HDMI inputs, like some older triple-digit Harmon/Kardon models and the Marantz SR5001/SR5002.
  2. Pay up the big bucks for a Smyth Realiser A8, which accepts LPCM over HDMI.

Somehow, I knew my wallet wouldn't be happy!  My Denon 1909 doesn't have Dolby Headphone, but has Denon's version.  (don't know what they call it, nor do I know how well it compares to actual Dolby Headphone.)  I currently run my AD700s through the headphone jack, but all chat functionality is lost.

Sorry to stray from headphone discussion.  Trying to figure out a fully functional, acoustically acceptable, console gaming setup shouldn't be so tough!

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #21,176 of 48,562
Seriously...All this boom mic talk is just no good...I've gamed for donkeys years since 1978 when the first space invaders machines came out and I've tried and tried to get a great mic setup throught a soundcard with various sound cards ZXR XFi STX blar blar blar and pre that even.

Guess what fixed it all?

I silly Logitech webcam...out of the way, not plugged into a card..NOT BUZZING..not having my mates say "sounds like you're talking in the toilet".. I now have a Logitech HD C270 doing hte voice and it is CRYSTAL CLEAR from 3 feet away, it sits on my second screen out. of the way.

Just sayin...do yourselves a favour..get one of these puppies..even if you don;t need the webcam (which I don't)

Cheers

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #21,177 of 48,562
Pretty sure a lot us game from couches/beds from on our big screens. Unless the webcam can pick up JUST voice from 9 feet away... I doubt that would be a viable solution.

Not to mention being able abke to control volume and mute the mic at any given moment.

Also, fwih, the new Kinect is used a lot for the Xbox One for voice chat, and everyone is in agreement that it's a horrible solution and is a quick way to get muted.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #21,178 of 48,562

Somehow, I knew my wallet wouldn't be happy!  My Denon 1909 doesn't have Dolby Headphone, but has Denon's version.  (don't know what they call it, nor do I know how well it compares to actual Dolby Headphone.)  I currently run my AD700s through the headphone jack, but all chat functionality is lost.

Sorry to stray from headphone discussion.  Trying to figure out a fully functional, acoustically acceptable, console gaming setup shouldn't be so tough!

If is says "Dolby Headphone" then it will sound the same no matter what device its used on (technically). Its a Licensed technology from Dolby.

That being said, theres a lot of AVRs that have Dolby Headphone built in to the headphone jack. Denon being one of them. Another is Marantz. Yamaha has their own version called "Silent Cinema"

If you search around, you can find them. I have an older Marantz SR6005 that has Dolby Headphone and accepts 7.1 LPCM via HDMI. Picked it up pretty cheap since its discontinued.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #21,179 of 48,562
Harman Kardon as well. But like Marantz, and Denon, it's only on the older models.

Can someone please upload some gameplay with Silent Cinema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back