Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #20,896 of 48,562

Okay, sorry for the delay...

The 1540 falls more in line with the 440 and 840, rather than the much brighter 940, 1440, and 1840. i've only owned the 840 and 1840, but FWIR about the others I believe my assumptions to be somewhat accurate about the other Shures. I know you tend to prefer brighter headphones, so the 1540 may not be quite in line for you. That's not not a knock on the 1540's treble, it's still extremely detailed... it just doesn't have that spike up top like its predecessors.

The mids are linear... pretty much dead even, though not recessed... but to those who are used to forward mids of AKGs, Mad Dogs, MA900 and the like might find the 1540's vocals to be a bit pushed back.

And then there's the bass. Man, DAT BASS! It's not basshead material, but pretty borderline if you ask me. It's punchy, extends deep, and does not bleed into the mids at all (to my ears, at least). Now, remember, I'm used to forward mids and lean bass myself... so try to believe me when I make that statement.

Oh, soundstage! Not the ideal choice for competitive gaming... but yes, the soundstage is above average for a closed headphone. I've tried quite a few, and it has one of the largest soundstages I've heard in a closed headphone. Definitely larger than the 840, and almost on par with the Soundmagic HP100. I would like to add, though, that the K545 might be THE BEST soundstage I heard in a closed headphone (judging from the one driver that worked).

Disclaimer: These brief impressions are solely based on the 1540 with alpha pads on. While the alcantaras are much more comfortable, the alpha pads refine the 1540's sound signature to the point where I much prefer that over comfort.

Good impressions. Considering the initial praise everyone is giving these and who it's coming from, I think I'm going to try them out. I've also heard of people extending the treble by throwing on the SRH940 pads onto them, so I might try that later down the line.

Personal note: I might be in a slight transition with preferences right now towards something warmer. Surprisingly enough, the HD 600 (a can I originally didn't like for being too warm) has been getting a workout lately. Nothing like my HD 700, but it's definitely not collecting dust how it was before. Those two really compliment each other well. We'll see how that works out. Still, I'm a soundstage and detail retrieval whore.

That being the case and considering your comments, can't wait until you get a working K545.

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #20,898 of 48,562

The Vmoda Boom Pro works like a dream. The DNA on ear is pretty competent, even if they are tilted towards bass. Nothing like the HP800 which was veiled and too bassy. Gotta say, these are reallh good, though not on the level of the DNA Pro.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #20,899 of 48,562
  short question..... is it justifiable to buy a q701 even if I already have a Fidelio X1? 

Pondered that myself.... thing is though: with a PC you can EQ out the bass and tickle the mids to get a good gaming/fps profile on the Fidelio. Knucklehead console users, with their 2001: A Space Odyssey opening scene's Mixamp's don't get those options. PC's for the win!!!!!!!!!

Cheekily runs away as fast as he can
smile.gif
  byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #20,901 of 48,562

The Vmoda Boom Pro works like a dream. The DNA on ear is pretty competent, even if they are tilted towards bass. Nothing like the HP800 which was veiled and too bassy. Gotta say, these are reallh good, though not on the level of the DNA Pro.

Isn't it lovely? I really didn't think I'd be able to turn my Philips X1 into a headset. I figured I'd have to have two wires attached to me for game sound and voice chat. Loving this combo and I'm sure your combo is also awesome. It sure looks like it.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #20,902 of 48,562
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgJ5zA2VYLU[/VIDEO]

I've been slacking on Youtube uploads, so here...

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #20,904 of 48,562
Damn the K612s imaging is sublime. It's so easy to pinpoint where things are, while keeping the immersion great too...
I am sure it'd get around 9 for competitive and around 8 for immersion.
The soundstage is circular too rather than wide which helps with front/rear cues.
They get more comfy as the pads soften up. Around an 8 for me but possibly more for others.
I really hope MLE will get hold of them sometime.
I'd send him a loaner myself but they are my go-to cans right now ;/
Perhaps later or someone else can?

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #20,905 of 48,562
Hi guys
First of all I want to thank Mad Lust for this phenomenal thread that helps me a lot.
I’m currently exchanging my “normal” Gaming Headset equipment (Sharkoon XTatic-SR) with something which is more “mature”.
The equipment will be used with my Xbox One.
I already bought my Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition (250 OHM) and I’m pretty happy with the stereo sound when it’s connected to my AVR (Onkyo 818).
Next step is to buy the Mixamp 2013 + external mic in order to receive digital surround (DH) again and to be able to use voice chat with volume balancing.
So far so good…
But now comes the point where I’m getting nervy – the headphone amp:

I’m not sure whether to buy a stationary or portable amp. Current favorite is the FiiO e12.
As I’m using it only at home I don’t know if it makes sense to choose a portable one also because of the battery charging. Otherwise I could imagine that it is annoying to stand up and walk to the TV rack for volume control. Then again you would have lots of cables messing up the room if you would position the MixAmp and the FiiO next to your seating. How do you guys fix this issue? What is your compromise? What is your cable management?

Thanks for your support!

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #20,907 of 48,562
Get on my twitch feed. I'll play some CoD. So you can see how well it works. Its on my sig.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #20,909 of 48,562
What headphones should I get if I want very well controlled and texture, deep, hard hitting bass that is good with hiphop and dubstep, with very good mids, forward vocals with a lot air in them, and relaxing, but realistic treble?

My price range is 400 euro's.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #20,910 of 48,562
You basically want everything. Not gonna happen. You basically asked for every single bullet point. Hard, controlled bass, forward mids, air do not mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back