Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #20,746 of 48,566
Oki :D
Just bought the 10 pieces of mics for 6£. For that amount, it doesn't matter much ,if it's crap.
But as i can see, they look pretty much EXACTLY the same. Just different pictures.
I just hope it won't catch that much background noise :p

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #20,747 of 48,566
If you have a fan in your vicinity, the clip on mic will pick it up. Otherwise just keep it a little away from your mouth as to not pick up breathing.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #20,749 of 48,566
Axel, when do you get your Alphas? I jus saw Dan's post of the matte black Alpha... jizz

Mad, maybe you should steal a pic and update it on your review....

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #20,750 of 48,566
Axel, when do you get your Alphas? I jus saw Dan's post of the matte black Alpha... jizz

I haven't received my upgrade email yet. And now I'm torn between the black and red finishes. If I go black, I'll have to wait a bit longer to get them. But I love that all stealth look. That said, the red cups accent the black finish on everything else even more. Decisions decisions...

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #20,751 of 48,566

I haven't received my upgrade email yet. And now I'm torn between the black and red finishes. If I go black, I'll have to wait a bit longer to get them. But I love that all stealth look. That said, the red cups accent the black finish on everything else even more. Decisions decisions...

Go stealth! 
ph34r.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #20,753 of 48,566
First, great thread!  Can't believe I read through hundreds of pages over the past month .... OK, actually I can.  My mind has become mush and over saturated with all the information! :D

Second, looking for input / recommendation on headphone(s), dac, and amp.

I currently use a laptop for gaming (50%), music (40%), and movies (10%).

The laptop is a Clevo P157SM based system with the following features:
 * SOUND BLASTER X-FI MB3
 * External 7.1CH audio output supported by headphone, microphone, Line-in, and S/PDIF jack
 * 1 x USB 2.0 port
 * 2 x USB 3.0 ports (1 x powered USB port, AC/DC)
 * 1 x eSATA / USB 3.0 combo port
 * 1 x Mini IEEE 1394a port
 * 1 x Display port 1.2
 * 1 x Mini Display port 1.2
 * 1 x HDMI output port (with HDCP)   
 * 1 x Headphone jack
 * 1 x Microphone jack
 * 1 x S/PDIF output jack

Gaming usage is primarily fps (60%), mmo (30%), and other (10%). I especially like positional cues (surround sound), details, and the fun of a good explosion or two within games :D

Music I primarily listen to scottish fiddle & cello, rock, alternative rock, classical, indie pop, hip hop, folk rock, & r&b.  Female vocals are a personal favorite as well.  For local / home network music listening I use flac and mp3 @320.  And for streaming I use Spotify.

Movies is a combination of Netflix streaming and blu-ray / dvd based content.  Genres are usually sci-fi, action, thriller, horror, and all other.  As with gaming, I like positional cues (surround sound), details, and the fun of a good explosion or two.

While gaming (or even on it's own) I use communication applications such as Teamspeak, Ventrilo, game supported voice, and Skype.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 590 that have seen better days (headband pad is non-existent, ear pads are splitting, and the cat knocked a glass of water off my desk into one of the ear cups) and a pair of Sennheiser 280 pro that I merely find OK, but allow me to game / listen without disturbing the wife late at night.

After reading through the posts within this thread and others, I'm leaning towards the AKG K712 Pro for my open headphones and the Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs for my closed set.  However, I wanted to get input from those that have similar tastes as I listed above and have listened to the two and can weigh in.

Or, if someone has similar taste and has a strong recommendation other than these two.

And of course, what I need in between my laptop and the headphones?  Mixamp?  Xonar U7?  Yamaha receiver with Silent Cinema?  Amp?

And, Alpha Dog is the top of the budget for any single item.

Phew ... hope that gave enough info to get the ball rolling!

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #20,754 of 48,566
Hello guys, i need a quick advise please.
My Rabbit (that little ******* :wink: ) bit my AKG K702 AE cable...
Which one is the right to buy? I've only found one cable at AKG : http://www.akg.com/EK300-1280.html?pid=56
I'm going to repair the ruined one, but with such an expensive Headphone i want a flawless cable..

Thx for your help :)

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #20,755 of 48,566
Iamstumper,
I actually have lots of similar interests, tho substitute Scottish strings for classical and folk strings and Van Morrison (on reflection, I probably WOULD like Scottish strings). I do much enjoy my k712, they really are something special for sound that seems to not be from headphones, but they're not the only choice.

I've been through a lot of those virtual surround DSPs, a good place to start is reading my post linked in my signature (if I knew then...") cuz I've collected a lot of samples, updating more along the way as I find.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #20,756 of 48,566
Can anyone do a quick comparison between the K612 and the Sony Ma900? In terms of sound and comfort? Ive been trying hard to decide between these. I have a CAL and wanted something open, just bought an HD 558 2 days ago, and I like it, but was thinking I could get something a little better. I can still return this easily and buy something else. The Sony's attract me because of their apparently insanely good comfort, which is vital because I spend a lot of time with my headphones on. The comfort of the 558 is pretty good, if a little clampy (it got more loose after a day), but I definitely prefer the velour to pleather. I havent heard a single bad thing about the K612, and have seen some people regard them as better in every way in terms of sound compared to the MA900. I will driving the headphones from a Fiio E10. 

Ive heard that the position of your ears in the MA900 can change the sound a lot, is it annoying to get your ears in the right position? And do the headphones move around? Or is it easy to put them on and get them in the right spot. 

Thanks

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #20,757 of 48,566
  Can anyone do a quick comparison between the K612 and the Sony Ma900? In terms of sound and comfort? Ive been trying hard to decide between these. I have a CAL and wanted something open, just bought an HD 558 2 days ago, and I like it, but was thinking I could get something a little better. I can still return this easily and buy something else. The Sony's attract me because of their apparently insanely good comfort, which is vital because I spent a lot of time with my headphones on. The comfort of the 558 is pretty good, if a little clampy (it got more loose after a day), but I definitely prefer the velour to pleather. I havent heard a single bad thing about the K612, and have seen some people regard them as better in every way in terms of sound compared to the MA900. I will driving the headphones from a Fiio E10. 

Ive heard that the position of your ears in the MA900 can change the sound a lot, is it annoying to get your ears in the right position? And do the headphones move around? Or is it easy to put them on and get them in the right spot. 

Thanks

'tis not enough? - http://www.head-fi.org/t/691053/review-and-comparison-of-the-200-open-back-underdogs-the-akg-k612-pro-and-the-sony-mdr-ma900

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #20,758 of 48,566
  'tis not enough? - http://www.head-fi.org/t/691053/review-and-comparison-of-the-200-open-back-underdogs-the-akg-k612-pro-and-the-sony-mdr-ma900

Yes I have read that review, and everyone in the thread seems to think that the K612 is superior in all aspects expect soundstage. Not that many people commented on the comfort, and it seems to be pretty power hungry, and im not sure if the Fiio E10 drives it well. Was just looking for more opinions. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #20,759 of 48,566
  Yes I have read that review, and everyone in the thread seems to think that the K612 is superior in all aspects expect soundstage. Not that many people commented on the comfort, and it seems to be pretty power hungry, and im not sure if the Fiio E10 drives it well. Was just looking for more opinions. 

I own both, so what in particular you need to know? 
Fetch me a PM and I'll try to help :] [No need to post it here me thinks]

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #20,760 of 48,566

The MA900 is the safer choice IMO.
More musical, easier on the ears and also easier to drive.
They are not inferior to one another, just different. The K612 being more neutral/analytic, MA-900 more fun/mid-centric.
K612 wins in imaging, MA-900 wins in soundstage size.

I like both and oyu can't really go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back