Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 1, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #20,581 of 48,562
The Mixamp 5.8 never came with the ps3 usb to 3.5mm cable. It has always been an accessory you have to pay extra for, and Astro doesnt have it for sale anymore.

So I submitted a ticket for my A30....

Anyone see this?

http://www.astrogaming.com/a38-bluetooth-headset/3AH38-HBW9W-100.html

Doesn't seem to be gaming oriented....

I figured out what's wrong with the A30s. The drivers are mismatched. The bass is leaning considerably towards one side. The sound is also quite diffused... and incoherent. I do hear some potential of satisfying SQ, but just not in this pair. I can HEAR how the A30 is considered to have quite an open sound despite it's closed back design. It's a double edged sword, because it's unfocused...

One thing I will say, the A30s are pretty damn comfy. Even as an on ear, it's easily one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. I guess being so used to my clip ons, having something rest on my ear doesn't bother me unless it's pleather or overly clampy.

Also, in true man form, I didn't read the instructions, and was using the in-line mic instead of the boom mic, since I had the switch on 'B' instead of 'A'. :rolleyes:

The inline mic sounded horrible... boom mic should be MUCH better.

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #20,582 of 48,562
MLE, interesting that the cable never came with yours. Also interesting that some folks got chat working with that particular cable.

I submitted a ticket to Astro but since I already had the cable without knowing it, their reply won't matter much.

Update: Astro wants $20 for the PS3/PC chat cable. Good thing I already own it...

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #20,583 of 48,562
Well after reading your post above I tried pushing the 3.5mm jack into the socket harder and 'voila' . There is about a mm of play you have to really force it in but anyhows chat now works. Bit too late to cancel the Tb cable of ebay but at least I will have backup,Again thanks for your help.

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #20,584 of 48,562
Well after reading your post above I tried pushing the 3.5mm jack into the socket harder and 'voila' . There is about a mm of play you have to really force it in but anyhows chat now works. Bit too late to cancel the Tb cable of ebay but at least I will have backup,Again thanks for your help.
Glad to help. I thought something was up when I noticed it wasn't entirely flush against the TX unit but I was a little paranoid about pushing it in even harder at the time. Glad you got it working. Happy gaming!

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #20,585 of 48,562
Does onyone have owned both mixamp and dss?
I have mixamp but i'm wondering if the dss has a better sound quality and does it handle the headphones better like the k702?
The mixer and chat functions doesn't matter.
So would you recommend buying dss over mixamp?
thanks in advance.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #20,586 of 48,562
Wow, incredible thread.  It's almost hard to sort through the massive amounts of information, which is why I'm posting in that hopes someone will help me out.  I'll try to go in detail...

I purchased a pair of Turtle Beach X41 a few years ago and loved them but they are basically broken now.  Sound crappy, hiss, mic doesn't work, etc.  Since then I've also graduated college and gotten a real job so I have many more options to explore like getting a nicer set but I'd like the same convenience.  I loved that the X41's were wireless and when I played COD I got COUNTLESS kills just for hearing footsteps.  I'd like the same thing, but *better* I guess.  Better quality, better directionality (sound whoring) lol.  I'm sure that the TB X41 are garbage compared to much of what's in here, but there's so much it's a bit overwhelming.  As of right now I am considering the Astro A50, but I wish that the Sennheiser PC360 were wireless.

Is there a better wireless headset than the Astro A50?  Maybe the PLYR 1?  Is there anything better than that?  I would say "money is not an option" but I'd like to spend less than $350-450.

Edit:

I'd also like to clarify that the only part I care about being wireless is the headset to the system/amp, not sure if that matters.  I will also be playing on Xbox One/PS4/Xbox 360

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #20,589 of 48,562
Mad Lust Envy, I desperately need your help as you are the only person who has had all these headphones on your head.

I bought the Phillips X1 thinking it was the one for me, a good mix between bass and gaming quality. However, I ended up having to return them, I have a large head and there were far from a proper fit, with the outer band smashed against my head there were large gaps between the lower part of the ear cup and my head due to them being unable to wrap around my melon.

To put things in perspective, my previous headset was a PC360 which fit fine extended all the way out, what bassy gaming headphone would work for me? If you have a normal sized head I guess I'm asking, what fit you with lots of room to spare?

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #20,593 of 48,562

hi , i need a pair of wireless headphones. i am between logitech g930 and sennshaiser rs160 (they are at the same price at argentina).

You're here, so I'm assuming this is primarily for gaming and positional accuracy?

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #20,595 of 48,562
The Mixamp 5.8 never came with the ps3 usb to 3.5mm cable. It has always been an accessory you have to pay extra for, and Astro doesnt have it for sale anymore.

So I submitted a ticket for my A30....

Anyone see this?

http://www.astrogaming.com/a38-bluetooth-headset/3AH38-HBW9W-100.html

Doesn't seem to be gaming oriented....

I figured out what's wrong with the A30s. The drivers are mismatched. The bass is leaning considerably towards one side. The sound is also quite diffused... and incoherent. I do hear some potential of satisfying SQ, but just not in this pair. I can HEAR how the A30 is considered to have quite an open sound despite it's closed back design. It's a double edged sword, because it's unfocused...

One thing I will say, the A30s are pretty damn comfy. Even as an on ear, it's easily one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. I guess being so used to my clip ons, having something rest on my ear doesn't bother me unless it's pleather or overly clampy.

Also, in true man form, I didn't read the instructions, and was using the in-line mic instead of the boom mic, since I had the switch on 'B' instead of 'A'. :rolleyes:

The inline mic sounded horrible... boom mic should be MUCH better.

Talk me OUT of buying one Mad, lol. Kinda wanna try a 5.8, just because I've basically tried everything else. Someday, it might be nice to be "wireless" between me and the screen. Can you plug the chat audio into the Astro from the PS4 controller like an Xbox, or do you have to scour the net for one of those pre-2013 USB cables?

Side note, I'm pretty sure this second Recon3D USB (the one you heard) sounds different than my first one... though I don't know why. Even with the same settings, it sounds more stereo-y than surround, and I prefer the DSS. But my old one (which I sold) was easily preferred over this same DSS. I've been testing it a lot (with CoD Ghosts, CoD4, and Reach mostly), trying to hear if it was just something about my ear health or which headphone I'm using, but I hear surround better with the DSS right now with either AKG headphone. It's just weird to me... but then, I think you felt that the built-in THX that came with your laptop had a better surround effect than you remembered when you borrowed this Recon3D USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back