Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #20,551 of 48,562
  The X1 is excellent for the price. Kind of a zero brainer really. Honestly just get one ....... with a PC you can EQ out the bass to make it more competitive if that's your thong.

I was toying with getting a K712, but seeing as it appears to be a side grade, I'd far prefer to spend a bit more....... thing is:  if I spend $600 fat one's on a gaming grade open headphone, basically there's not a lot to choose from. I don't want to go ape ... Open / $600 / good for games and musak: what's a guy to do?

Try to win these and hope you've got money left over for a Pro bias amp, perhaps? Or maybe this setup, if you've got a speaker amp on hand and shipping from Australia doesn't murder your budget. Or, just maybe, $600 will be just enough to get you an ESP/950 somewhere.

If anything, the headphones are the easy part. The amps, on the other hand...

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #20,552 of 48,562
Nameless:  know you're a huge fan.. wish I could be there for those Stax - they also sound so 70's!!! In all likelihood I'll never ever ever get to hear those *****ers. Just kind of want to "get there" without having to get LCD's which have a closed and intimate but non gaming friendly soundstage. Can't $600 buy you the ear-hookers of your dreams?

Just been playing some DayZ: SA on my X1's (su- ****ingperb).... the sound engine's essentially pretty crap (baked in sounds with no direction), however the crucial positional moments when you can hear those bandits lurking around the corner are absolutely heart stopping. They've got the crack of a bullet down pat too. Duck ASAP and **** yourself. Early alpha though.......

BTW: it's an intense game, mainly because you actually have to work for your gear and losing it is too much for your average teen gamer. (no offence teen gamers). It's also far better in first person - just like in Battlefield, COD and every other 1st person shooter as you can't peek over walls and stuff..... I know 3rd person is good for WoW and other games, but try it in 1st...........your pulse will go through the roof. Do it.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #20,554 of 48,562
You may want to ask MLE to differentiate the two for you. FWIR, you may find the Alpha Dog's bass to be underwhelming when compared to the X1.

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #20,555 of 48,562
I'd really like to know what is a distinct upgrade (open of course) from the AKG 7 series, the Beyer 7,8 and 9's and the X1; all without breaking the bank. Do you really have to spend a **** tonne more to go up a grade.... and is it truly worth it? Nebulous stuff this headphones thing.

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #20,556 of 48,562
Guys I have to say after getting about 20 hours on the SoundMAGIC HP100s I am really, really starting to enjoy them.  Not only are they extremely light (and extremely durable), but they sound awesome.  Definitely the best sounding headphones I have put on my head except for the $900 Denons my brother owns.  The funny thing is my brother has been using his Marantz 2500 to push them and when I brought over my Aune T1 and hooked it up to his 8+ year old Dell he was blown away by the sound difference and now he is of course looking at $500+ DAC/Amps.... 

Big Brothers, always have to show you up
deadhorse.gif

I would recommend the SoundMAGIC HP100s to anyone looking in the sub $200 category that want good over the ear closed headphones for everything from Movies to Music to Competitive Gaming.  I wouldn't say they are "Competitive Gaming" headphones in terms of other offerings specific to that category, but for the price it is hard to beat them if you also value Movies/Music.

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #20,557 of 48,562
  I'd really like to know what is a distinct upgrade (open of course) from the AKG 7 series, the Beyer 7,8 and 9's and the X1; all without breaking the bank. Do you really have to spend a **** tonne more to go up a grade.... and is it truly worth it? Nebulous stuff this headphones thing.

Well the AKG 6xx/7xx, Beyer DT 7/8/9, Senn HD 6xx, etc. is where you hit the point of diminishing returns in headphones and is also the point where the system becomes very important, upgrades after that will cost a good chunk more unless you get lucky and find a good deal. Real upgrades are likely going to cost at least $700 in the form of lower-end electrostats and some of the better orthos, this is when it's generally not worth spending money on dynamics with a few exceptions. Sadly I find most of the totl dynamics mixed bags due to treble grain issues, some being worse than others. I've only heard one dynamic headphone that truly compares with the best of the electrostats and orthos but it's a relic of the past.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #20,558 of 48,562
Thanks for the reply Kman... diminishing returns indeed, Still though...............
smile.gif
 Highly tempted to get the K712's at the very least. I've now realised that I'm personally not that into gobs of bass after all (not that the X1 is bass heavy).

An open gaming headset at the 6-700 bucks mark, with a wide soundstage...........................

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #20,559 of 48,562
Thanks for the reply Kman... diminishing returns indeed, Still though...............:smile:  Highly tempted to get the K712's at the very least. I've now realised that I'm personally not that into gobs of bass after all (not that the X1 is bass heavy).

An open gaming headset at the 6-700 bucks mark, with a wide soundstage...........................

You might wanna wait till March/Ap when HFM releases their new headphones.
I am definitely buying one of them :wink:

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #20,560 of 48,562
Jan 31, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #20,561 of 48,562
Absolutely superb writeup conquerator... http://www.head-fi.org/t/650912/hifiman-he-6-re-400-iem-and-ultrasone-pro-900-ultimate-reviews. Keep writing more stuff please.

Particularly interested in your thoughts on the Audio_gd's.

Ow, thank you man :wink:
I'll probably add the Pro900 in tomorrow and will start working on the K612, MA900 and X1.
I enjoy writing these, though it requires a good dead of concentration to write things that make sense xD

I gave my impressions on the Audio-GDs, didn't I? I like the brand a lot, though I went for an Mstage this time around (will add that one up too :wink:)

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #20,562 of 48,562
K612, MA900 and X1 comparison reviews I will look forward to. You will very probably get a very heated discussion when you go to press.

The K612's look like a huge bargain from all the reports. Wish MLE could get his greasy mitts on them given his broad experience.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #20,563 of 48,562
K612, MA900 and X1 comparison reviews I will look forward to. You will very probably get a very heated discussion when you go to press.

The K612's look like a huge bargain from all the reports. Wish MLE could get his greasy mitts on them given his broad experience.

So do I. I do like them a lot but I'd love to read his opinion and rankings on it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back