Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #20,521 of 48,562
  I got the Q701 right when I finished the other post. I didn't need to try them for very long, and my wife said they're both hideous, so I'll pick the one with the sound and comfort that I prefer: the HE-400.

I was surprised at how much volume I got out of the Q701 without an amp on my PC. But I did try them with the FiiO E10, and it was better. I liked the soundstage on the Q701 a lot, and if I were just a gamer, I actually might pick them over the Hifis. But generally I'm working on my PC, and I listen to music probably more than I can game, and I prefer how music sounds from the Hifi. 

The other thing that made the decision easy, even though I didn't think would bug me, was the bumps on the bottom of the Q701 headband. Even if I liked the sound better overall, I probably would have sent the Q701 back and gone for the Annies or even the K702, because those bumps were really uncomfortable. I have a completely shaved head, so perhaps if I had some "extra hair padding", it would have been fine. 

I was amazed at how much lighter the Q701 was over the HE400, but the HE400 is still by far more comfortable. So I'm keeping the HE400, thanks for all the advice everyone. 
beyersmile.png

Good job, man. Now, granted, I totally disagree with you and this particularly biased thread with the HE-400, but who cares? You asked, you tried, and you came to your own conclusions. This whole community would be better off just going for it like you did because no forum is going to be able to answer all of your questions. It's all about the journey and the only god around here are your own ears.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #20,522 of 48,562
  Besides the MixAmp and Turtle Beach DSS1, there is another way to get Dolby Headphone for you headphones. Some AVRs have Dolby Headphone built in to their headphone jack. You just need to do some research to find the ones that have it.

For me, it kills two birds with one stone. I have an AVR for normal movies etc...but I can also plug my headphones in and get Dolby Headphone with any source, ie; gaming console.

Yamaha has its own Dolby Headphone processing called "Silent Cinema", but Ive seen very little reviews on it.

I was skeptical at first, but my Marantz SR6005 does everything, I no longer need a DSS or Mixamp.

Silent Cinema does not impress me at all (I have a Yamaha receiver), almost no 3D positioning as far as I can tell.

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #20,523 of 48,562
The Plyr1 is still on sale at BestBuy & Amazon for $130. It appears the product from Amazon comes with a stand while the one from BestBuy does not, at least it looks like that in the image. The stand should be require for 7.1 surround on the computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Surround-SMPYFY-003-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00C2B2Y9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391034105&sr=8-1&keywords=plyr1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/plyr1-gaming-wireless-headset-for-xbox-360-and-playstation-3/8828355.p

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #20,524 of 48,562
Thanks, roguegeek! I appreciate your comment, and your honesty.

I looked at this forum for a few weeks, and it was definitely hard to choose. I spent several nights staying up until 3AM, scouring hundreds of reviews and comments. I was frustrated—too much information was making the choice harder. But, I finally bought two pairs and and decided that I would keep my favorite—otherwise I would just keep looking and guessing.

I saw another post where some guy bought 5 pairs and was planning on sending them back. I feel bad enough for just returning one pair, haha. If there were a local place to buy or try headphones, it wouldn't be an issue, but the only shop that's within 3 hours of me has some high-end Sennheisers and not much else. 

You've nailed the point that I reached after reading too much: people have different ears, different tastes, different requirements and there is no "holy grail" headphone that will satisfy everyone. You can't hear the perfect headphones in a forum, so I'm happy I stopped reading so much and just ordered a couple pairs to try.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #20,525 of 48,562
....so I'm happy I stopped reading so much and just ordered a couple pairs to try.

I did the same thing. I was reading review after review, page after page, and thread after thread and I got nowhere. But I did learned a lot. Although I was no where near buying anything. However I finally decided to get a pair because it was $50 dollars off and I have been waiting for so long.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #20,529 of 48,562
  Have anyone tried k612? I'm really wondering the difference between q701? 

I got the 612 yesterday, I haven't used the Q701 but I can certainly recommend the K612s. Especially in the UK where they're essentially half the price.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #20,532 of 48,562

This is going cheap on xbox360 and ps3 this week only!

Rented it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Where is it on sale at?

Also, just purchased the Skullcandy Plyr1 from Sonic Electronix and price matched it at amazon for 130. Two day free shipping from Sonic Electronix, it's nice if you don't have the prime account from Amazon. :D

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #20,534 of 48,562
They sold for $250 back in August when I bought mine. I wouldn't necessarily say its dropping in price at that range. I've even see in it at $225 around the holidays, I believe.

Once it CONSISTENTLY reaches sub $200 (not just a one-time sale for $150), we can conclude its price is dropping... and possibly assume there will be a new model to be released. (X2?)

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #20,535 of 48,562
The X1s price seems to always fluctuate. Especially in these past 2 months, Iv seen them be at 299 then 275, 250...But the best price was 150 :)....yeah, I bought them at that price about 2 weeks ago lol.

Even if they were to release an updated version or X2, i dont think there would be a big improvement.

Nothing big as to ditch the X1s....

2 more days till i get back to LA from my trip in Mexico, and then I will finally try the X1s and MA900s that i ordered and see which ones i will keep..or probobly keep both...Errgghh i want to be back already lol even ordered a Recon3D for my gaming needs lol and some games

Users who are viewing this thread

Back