Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 27, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #20,491 of 48,562
*Evsrhug
Thank. Any more elaborative answers?
 Ad700 & k712 which sounds more intimate, has forward mids and better sounding overall. 
And is the difference in price worth the money? I can get ad700 for 130$ and k702 for 200$.
Thanks in advance.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #20,493 of 48,562

You'll buy headphones that cost as much as your entire computer?

If kept they last longer than a computer that costs the same. Most likely people upgrade their computer as well, after 2 years even (graphics for instance) and then the comparison gets even worse.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #20,494 of 48,562
Contacted Frank from AKG parts about the K712 pads, and was informed that it's the same part number for the Anniversary as well. Real skeptical about pulling the trigger... because would much I prefer the thicker pads, and there is no refund available after purchase. Grrrrr.... 
angry_face.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #20,495 of 48,562
I just ordered the AKG Q701 with Fiio E10 (might upgrade the amp later, it seems a lot of people here don't like FiiO) and the HiFiMan-400 on Amazon. There's no place I can find locally that would let me try these out, so I figure I'll return whichever one I like less.

And just so people know, the HiFis are $100 off ($299) today. It's not available via Amazon directly, but there are still some 3rd party sellers with fulfillment via Amazon selling them. It's possible that it's the new price, and they'll be releasing new models soon.

The nicest headphones I own right now are the ATH M50's, so I'm not sure what to expect really of $200-300 pair of headphones. Thanks for putting together this guide, Mad Lust! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #20,498 of 48,562
  I just ordered the AKG Q701 with Fiio E10 (might upgrade the amp later, it seems a lot of people here don't like FiiO) and the HiFiMan-400 on Amazon. There's no place I can find locally that would let me try these out, so I figure I'll return whichever one I like less.

And just so people know, the HiFis are $100 off ($299) today. It's not available via Amazon directly, but there are still some 3rd party sellers with fulfillment via Amazon selling them. It's possible that it's the new price, and they'll be releasing new models soon.

The nicest headphones I own right now are the ATH M50's, so I'm not sure what to expect really of $200-300 pair of headphones. Thanks for putting together this guide, Mad Lust! 
smily_headphones1.gif

The Q701 is a good upgrade over an M50. Don't worry about the FiiO products, either. No, they aren't the best, but they aren't expected to be at their price. There is a purpose out there that they serve and they do it pretty well. Consider them a gateway drug to bigger and better things.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #20,500 of 48,562
For those who are interested, you can get the K612 for lower than the $175 at Razor Dog Audio. Do some Googling and you can find them for $159 shipped to the US.

I paid 165 (not 175)... so I aint mad... though six bucks coulda bought be a burger n fries :)

I could have searched elsewhere, but roughly 160 is what I read was the lowest they've gone for brand new. Razordog's discount of 165 was close enough for me... shipped within the US.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #20,501 of 48,562

Well I'm not doing speakers at the current time. I don't want to piss off my neighbors as I'm in an apartment. The problem with something like the mixamp for me is it doesn't decode dts audio. So when I hook it up to something like my wdtv it can't play the dts tracks my movies are encoded in. Would there be an amp that would work with PS4 that can also do dts? Something that can do both is the perfect solution for me.

Same boat but i got a laptop to add to the setup. More headache.

I got a riddle for you guys,

Some thing like (or near) the Beyerdynamic Headzone in functionality (minus the head tracking nonsense)
but 700 bucks cheaper.

Can you guide me to such thing?

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #20,502 of 48,562
  Same boat but i got a laptop to add to the setup. More headache.

I got a riddle for you guys,

Some thing like (or near) the Beyerdynamic Headzone in functionality (minus the head tracking nonsense)
but 700 bucks cheaper.

Can you guide me to such thing?

The best thing could be the thing out of the FiiO petition some day if FiiO really's interested. Until then it's the Astrogaming Mixamp. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #20,504 of 48,562
I Was wondering about something....my x1 and ma900 have arrived at home but im in mexico and wont try them out till this Sunday morning when I arrive in LA (just in time for super bowl)....

But ive been reading up on the AkG Annies and the k702....

If i bought the K702 and put on the earpads from the Annies onto the K702, will the sound signiture be almost equal to the Annies but for less money? Either way, i wouldnt mind spending the 400 bucks for the Annies because they dam look nice and im pretty sure they sound really good compared to the ma900 and X1s

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #20,505 of 48,562
Is there any way to loosen up the clamping on the X1's? They are fairly uncomfortable compared to the Annies. In fact the comfort is fairly awful to me so far, but I suppose I have a large head and large ears to go with it.

They are heavier and clamp like a Mofo to me. They sound great and I love the bass they can produce but the comfort is like night and day for me. The earpads themselves are fine but the clamping force is crazy.

Speaking of bass I'm quite surprised at how well they can handle bass boosting through my sound card. The X1 was able to handle +12db with no distortion at all and the Annies can handle maybe +3db. Granted I don't use the bass boost for practical everyday use but it was fun to see just how much/deep they could go.

So yeah, Comfort wise the Annies blow the X1 away, I'm hoping there is a way to fix this. Perhaps they will loosen up over time with normal use. I have probably 15-20 or so hours with them so far over multiple sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back