Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 25, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #20,416 of 48,562
It works... except, it's useless.

The issue is that there is a very discernible audio lag when the PS4 sends the Vita a  Dolby Digital (more specifically, DH). This is why the PS4 attemps to always just send a pure 2.0 PCM audio to the Vita.
Then the other issue is that Remote Play isn't 1:1 between the Vita and PS4 like the Wii U (heh I know). Lots of instance where dropouts in audio occurs, which basically makes DH useless.

Thanks for the info. I didn't even think about the separation of sound and video. Been wanting a vita since long before launch. Too bad it looks like I was rightback then about it being doa.

Amazing job on the article Envy.:beerchug:
I knew nothing about the mix amp pro before reading through it.

Now on to my setup and questions! :tongue_smile:

I game mainly on the ps3 and ps4. My headphone setup is the V-Moda Crossfade LP2 (saving for the M100's) with the boompro mic.

Now, for best sound quality, and still having mic capabilities, I assume I'd use one of the amps mentioned (likely the mix amp pro), hooked up to either in the way outlined in astro's instructions?
Now, is there any possible way to connect the ps3 and ps4 both to the mix amp pro while retaining functionality? I'd rather not have to constantly swap cables, but I'd also rather not have to buy two mix amp pros...

I currently have my whole setup hooked up through my receiver and home theater system, so when I'm not using the mix amp setup, I just change the sound output back to hdmi in the ps3/4 menus to output through the receiver, correct?

Thanks in advance.

You would need to get a powered switcher. Far as I know all the toggle switchers he has tried failed.

I don't own this one but it is the one recommended to me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003C15798/ref=aw_ls__1?colid=2A1RDJDXR4V3Z&coliid=I2X45UE2NK87UW

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #20,417 of 48,562
You would need to get a powered switcher. Far as I know all the toggle switchers he has tried failed.

I don't own this one but it is the one recommended to me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003C15798/ref=aw_ls__1?colid=2A1RDJDXR4V3Z&coliid=I2X45UE2NK87UW

I figured out I'd need a powered switcher from doing a web search.
I came across that one, but this one seems to fit my needs perfectly. It's not too expensive, and as a bonus, it's actually listed in my harmony remote software, so I can set the remote to turn it to the correct input when starting up the play ps3/4 activities.

Wait a minute...
My TV has an optical out; so I can just connect the astro mixamp to that rather than use a switcher. Then everything comes through the astro along with the receiver, and I can just mute the receiver late at nite when playing or watching tv or movies.
This video confirms it (though he uses a mixamp 5.8 the same thing applies).
So that takes care of the optical problem... I think...

Now one more hurdle remains.
If I understand correctly, chat goes through the usb cable. So I'd either need to switch the usb cable depending on which system I'm playing, or maybe a double ended usb cable would work to connect to both?

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #20,419 of 48,562
I just checked my tv's audio setup and the optical output can be either dolby digital or pcm, so I'm good there.

Never mind; I think I'll be using the switcher. From what I read online, most tvs won't pass dolby digital over hdmi because of copyright rules. I'll have to test it out on mine. But realistically, I'll probably be better off going direct from the systems anyway.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #20,420 of 48,562
Went looking around for a switcher. There are not that many options with a reasonable price tag. Here is the only other one I have found so far. Comes with a remote also and a good price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270488

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #20,422 of 48,562
God, these A30s are so garbage... I'm wondering if mine is faulty.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #20,423 of 48,562
God, these A30s are so garbage... I'm wondering if mine is faulty.
I think so. Unless your ears are incredibly sensitive. I noticed that if if plug my a30s all the way into my ZXR's control pod that the sound comes out distorted so I make sure to plug it in almost all the way. I haven't tried my new a30's that came with my 5.8 mixamp so I can't comment on that pair.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #20,424 of 48,562
What do you guys think of the new Sennheiser G4ME series? As in the G4ME One and the Zero.

What are the differences between them?

Also I have heard that the PC 360 is the same as the G4ME One.

What do you think of the Steelseries Siberia Elite as well? In comparison to Sennheiser?

I am trying to find a really nice headset which I can use for gaming as well as music listening and editing music. 

I currently own a Sennheiser PC 141 and am looking at upgrading to a better headset. 

Thank you for your help!

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #20,425 of 48,562
Mad, after all the level of clarity headphones you've reviewed as of late... I'm pretty positive nothing is defective on the a30. You are, more than likely, correct with your impression.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #20,426 of 48,562
With the Turtle Beach DSS what do I set the audio settings on the PS4 to? Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) or Bitstream (DTS)? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: According to MLE from some posts back
Primary Output Port : DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)
Audio format (Priority): Bitstream (Dolby)

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #20,427 of 48,562
What do you guys think of the new Sennheiser G4ME series? As in the G4ME One and the Zero.

What are the differences between them?

Also I have heard that the PC 360 is the same as the G4ME One.

What do you think of the Steelseries Siberia Elite as well? In comparison to Sennheiser?

I am trying to find a really nice headset which I can use for gaming as well as music listening and editing music. 

I currently own a Sennheiser PC 141 and am looking at upgrading to a better headset. 

Thank you for your help!

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #20,428 of 48,562
  With the Turtle Beach DSS what do I set the audio settings on the PS4 to? Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) or Bitstream (DTS)? Thanks for the help.

Linear PCM probably

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #20,429 of 48,562

Pretty sure it's bitstream DTS or Dolby :]
That's basically what you use on the PS3.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #20,430 of 48,562
  Pretty sure it's bitstream DTS or Dolby :]
That's basically what you use on the PS3.

It's not going to make a difference. All that setting does is determine if the codec is uncompressed by the PS3 or the next device down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back