Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 23, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #20,386 of 48,562
I've read great things about the SoundMagic HP200 for $250... but never came around to buying them. Its open, but the pads are pleather. Some Shure pads should fit, but I'm scared to a blind risk. Who knows if it would have a positive effect on the sound or not...

I've read its bass is slightly above neutral, so velours might even it some... and add soundstage depth.

I was tempted, but chose the K612 when I was emailed that coupon.

I know it's probably a bit too early to ask, but how do you think they compare sonically to the K712?

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #20,387 of 48,562
I've read great things about the SoundMagic HP200 for $250... but never came around to buying them. Its open, but the pads are pleather. Some Shure pads should fit, but I'm scared to a blind risk. Who knows if it would have a positive effect on the sound or not...

I've read its bass is slightly above neutral, so velours might even it some... and add soundstage depth.

I was tempted, but chose the K612 when I was emailed that coupon.

Thanks for the recommendation.
I'll probably stick to the X1 for now then.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #20,388 of 48,562
Just wanted to say that the Philips X1 + V-MODA BoomPro + 5.8 wireless mixamp = AMAZING! That is all.
dt880smile.png

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #20,395 of 48,562
  so it sounds great on pc? that wireless mixamp  got me curious

There's almost no point in using the mixamps on a PC. Get yourself a good audio card like an X-Fi Titanium HD or Xonar, get CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphone set up properly, and you're solid.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #20,396 of 48,562
After reading this guide and The Nameless PC Gaming Audio guide I have come to the conclusion that I do really want to invest in a good gaming headphone and I at least have a decent clue where to start.  I have about $300 dollars to spend (350 max) and don't really want to go over.  I also don't have a sound card and I don't have room for one either (PCI-E slot blocked by 2nd GPU).  I was at first leaning towards external sound cards like Asus Xonar U7 but I think that I can do better for cheaper with a decent DAC/AMP like FiiO E10 and virtual surround sound software (i.e. Razer Synapse 2.0). Im a huge gamer and split time better FPS and MMOs.  Ive been stalking this website for about 3 weeks and see that the members are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. 

[Edit]: From what I can discern I am leaning towards the AKG Q701 ($200) with a FiiO E10 or a Sennheiser PC 360 ($166) with an additional DAC/AMP.  Again, as much as I would love a sound card at this point, I don't have any room in the case.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #20,397 of 48,562
Mixamp Pro 2011, put up on head-fi for $55 total. Looking for US buyers first, so hit me up if interested. never been used, just opened the box to take the A30s (a disappointment anyways).

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #20,398 of 48,562
  After reading this guide and The Nameless PC Gaming Audio guide I have come to the conclusion that I do really want to invest in a good gaming headphone and I at least have a decent clue where to start.  I have about $300 dollars to spend (350 max) and don't really want to go over.  I also don't have a sound card and I don't have room for one either (PCI-E slot blocked by 2nd GPU).  I was at first leaning towards external sound cards like Asus Xonar U7 but I think that I can do better for cheaper with a decent DAC/AMP like FiiO E10 and virtual surround sound software (i.e. Razer Synapse 2.0). Im a huge gamer and split time better FPS and MMOs.  Ive been stalking this website for about 3 weeks and see that the members are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. 

[Edit]: From what I can discern I am leaning towards the AKG Q701 ($200) with a FiiO E10 or a Sennheiser PC 360 ($166) with an additional DAC/AMP.  Again, as much as I would love a sound card at this point, I don't have any room in the case.

You could get a Sound Blaster Omni or a Xonar U3.

I wouldn't get the E10 for gaming, as it has to be the first device in the chain (no line-in).  I would rather spend that money on an amp with a line-in, in case you ever get an external surround sound device in the future.  I haven't used Razer's surround (Razer Synapse is something else BTW), so I can't comment on it.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #20,399 of 48,562
The X1 is probably not your cup of tea though, Nameless. I'd say it's a contrast compared to what you like. A bit muffled sounding in the general scheme of things compared to the more recent things I believe you have tried. The X1 isn't muffled overall, but the slight bass bloat makes it less clear than what I've compared lately.

I'm starting to think that two things are frequently at play here:

-Flavor Of The Month. (This does NOT necessarily mean a bad headphone, but FOTM sets tend to have overblown hype.)

-My tastes are simply not in line with most people's tastes here. Seems like most people like a V-shaped signature while I prefer a slight arch in the mids. (On top of that, I saw someone call the MA900 "too bright" recently, while I just don't find it bright and sparkly enough...)

Well, maybe three if I've been forever spoiled by vintage Stax. All in all, just trying to figure out where I stand relative to everyone else here, and that takes an audition. I mean, I STILL haven't heard a single AKG or Sennheiser set, and my Beyerdynamic experience is limited to that MMX 300. It's still kind of weird to realize that I have a tad more familiarity with Stax compared to anything else.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #20,400 of 48,562

I'm starting to think that two things are frequently at play here:

-Flavor Of The Month. (This does NOT necessarily mean a bad headphone, but FOTM sets tend to have overblown hype.)

-My tastes are simply not in line with most people's tastes here. Seems like most people like a V-shaped signature while I prefer a slight arch in the mids. (On top of that, I saw someone call the MA900 "too bright" recently, while I just don't find it bright and sparkly enough...)

Well, maybe three if I've been forever spoiled by vintage Stax. All in all, just trying to figure out where I stand relative to everyone else here, and that takes an audition. I mean, I STILL haven't heard a single AKG or Sennheiser set, and my Beyerdynamic experience is limited to that MMX 300. It's still kind of weird to realize that I have a tad more familiarity with Stax compared to anything else.

I think the it depends on which price bracket your in. I generally like a flat sound signature, but my tastes actually change depending on the price bracket as I think the cheaper price brackets just can not do details well enough. I prefer the V Shaped signature at the cheaper brackets as they might as well be fun if they are not going to do details well.

I also think it can rely heavily on your gear. I picked up the V Moda M80s for $45 and hated it on most of my daps. The bass was just too overpowering for nearly everything, but I hooked it up to my DX100 and it made it perform in the $150-$200 bracket easily imo. The bass was cleaned up, it had very minimal sibilance, and the details were decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back