Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 20, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #20,236 of 48,566
  omg guys!! check this out:

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_U7_Echelon_Edition

Meh. 

I prefer my audio gear look sleek and elegant, not hardcore and uber leet.  I can see a controller looking alright with a camo skin, but not a headphone amplifier.

Noob question. I had seen the picture of how to connect a mixamp to a head phone amp, just curious do u still get surround sound in your headphones from the amp even you connect 2 rca cables meaning only 2 channels of audio.

While the mixamp needs a 5.1 DD source to work correctly, it's Dolby Headphone output is only 2 channels (which is why it works with your stereo headphones).  The surround sound effect comes from the HRTF cues that are processed into the sound. 

So RCA cables are perfectly fine.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #20,237 of 48,566
  Question for anyone that has owned both the Astro Mixamp 2011 and Astro wireless 5.8 mixamp. How much more does the 5.8 wireless hiss compared to the Mixamp 2011? Other than the bass boost in the 5.8 wireless, are there any other differences sonically? Thinking about purchasing the a30's + 5.8 wireless. I think it would be wise for me to purchase it since there are no other wireless mixamps that are compatible with any headphones and I'm sure once they are all gone, I'll be out of luck.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hiss.  Unless you pause the game and listen for it it shouldn't really be an issue.  The 5.8 sounds the same apart from the bass boost toggle. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #20,239 of 48,566
"I prefer my audio gear look sleek and elegant, not hardcore and uber leet.  I can see a controller looking alright with a camo skin, but not a headphone amplifier."

The Sonic Radar caught my attention. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #20,241 of 48,566

I wouldn't worry too much about the hiss.  Unless you pause the game and listen for it it shouldn't really be an issue.  The 5.8 sounds the same apart from the bass boost toggle.

Well, certain games have quiet moments. I don't  want to be distracted by hiss. I wouldn't mind if the hissing is only prominent at ear bursting volume levels though.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #20,242 of 48,566

I would go with the X1s.  They are a very good buy at their current sale price of $249 this month.

Still trying to decided and reading more reviews and opinions on the X1 isn't making this easy. I guess right now it would have to be which one is better for the type of music I listen to (electronic, synthpop, and indie to name a few) as I feel both would be good for gaming. Also between the MA900 and X1, does one perform better than the other when both are without a soundcard/amp? Thanks for the help.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #20,243 of 48,566

Still trying to decided and reading more reviews and opinions on the X1 isn't making this easy. I guess right now it would have to be which one is better for the type of music I listen to (electronic, synthpop, and indie to name a few) as I feel both would be good for gaming. Also between the MA900 and X1, does one perform better without a soundcard/amp? Thanks for the help.

I owned both headphones. X1 FTW.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #20,244 of 48,566
  I owned both headphones. X1 FTW.

Very elaborate response! 
tongue.gif

I just checked and the X1 wants me to pay $20 for taxes with a total of about $272 so about $52 more than the MA900. So I ask you this, is the X1 $52 FTW better than the MA900? (You can elaborate on this question if you'd like hehe). Thanks!

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #20,245 of 48,566
Very elaborate response! :p  

I just checked and the X1 wants me to pay $20 for taxes with a total of about $272 so about $52 more than the MA900. So I ask you this, is the X1 $52 FTW better than the MA900? (You can elaborate on this question if you'd like hehe). Thanks!
Yes it's $52 better than THE MA900. The X1 is more fun. Basically a notch above THE MA900 sonically. There's plenty of posts on here to determine that yourself. If you would rather save $52 and settle for THE MA900, you would still be makinga nice choice. If you need extra bass and a more fun sounding headphone, go for the X1. You're welcome.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #20,246 of 48,566

Still trying to decided and reading more reviews and opinions on the X1 isn't making this easy. I guess right now it would have to be which one is better for the type of music I listen to (electronic, synthpop, and indie to name a few) as I feel both would be good for gaming. Also between the MA900 and X1, does one perform better than the other when both are without a soundcard/amp? Thanks for the help.

Both are fine for those genres, although the X1 has a healthier dose of bass which probably bring more fun for those genres.  Both are easy to drive and sound good off the more modest devices, so I wouldn't worry about either one there. 

The MA900 is a very good choice in the under ~$200 bracket, and the X1 is very good choice in the under ~$350 bracket.  So the X1 is a tier up from the MA900.

Keep in mind the X1 will go back up to its regular $299 price after January 31st.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #20,247 of 48,566

Both are fine for those genres, although the X1 has a healthier dose of bass which probably bring more fun for those genres.  Both are easy to drive and sound good off the more modest devices, so I wouldn't worry about either one there. 

The MA900 is a very good choice in the under ~$200 bracket, and the X1 is very good choice in the under ~$350 bracket.  So the X1 is a tier up from the MA900.

Keep in mind the X1 will go back up to its regular $299 price after January 31st.

Well I just ordered the X1. These will be the first real headphones that I've bought. Thanks for pushing me to spend more money! 
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #20,248 of 48,566
Asus Xonar Essence STX -> V-Moda M-100 (w/ XL earpads + boompro mic)

How would this set-up suffice for PC gaming? Would it give me positional audio for competitive games like Counterstrike, battlefield, etc.?  I chose this set-up because I want great PC sound, music sound, and I want a portable headset.  I am also really digging the aesthetics.  How would the headset work for gaming?

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #20,249 of 48,566

How would this set-up suffice for PC gaming? Would it give me positional audio for competitive games like Counterstrike, battlefield, etc.?  I chose this set-up because I want great PC sound, music sound, and I want a portable headset.  I am also really digging the aesthetics.  How would the headset work for gaming?

No many of us, here, have tried the M100... but @Evshrug currently owns them and may help you in this matter.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #20,250 of 48,566
  Well I just ordered the X1. These will be the first real headphones that I've bought. Thanks for pushing me to spend more money! 
tongue.gif

You're welcome. 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Closed portable headphones wouldn't be my first choice for competitive gaming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back