Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #20,221 of 48,566

Oh man am I eyeing that R290, and I don't even have a desktop built currently. I'm really interested in seeing the how the AMD TrueAudio is going to be worked into games. This has the potential to be somewhat of a game changer in the PC gaming sector. Hell, it may even flood over into console gaming since it's in the PS4.

I have two radeon AMD7990s..they have a coil wine..i had to get a case with soundproofing to get rid of the noise!

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #20,222 of 48,566
For anyone in the know, would raising the gain level on my Creative ZXR to high gain (600 ohm) damage my Philips X1's? That's the level I had it on when I used my no-name headphones simply because I was curious and didn't care if they were damaged. No damage was done after about 3 months of use. Thoughts?

Another question, why is it that my TB DSS (noticeable amount and Astro Mixamp (slight hiss at max) have hissing but the amp in my ZXR has none even at max volume?

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #20,223 of 48,566
For anyone in the know, would raising the gain level on my Creative ZXR to high gain (600 ohm) damage my Philips X1's? That's the level I had it on when I used my no-name headphones simply because I was curious and didn't care if they were damaged. No damage was done after about 3 months of use. Thoughts?

Another question, why is it that my TB DSS (noticeable amount and Astro Mixamp (slight hiss at max) have hissing but the amp in my ZXR has none even at max volume?

No setting the gain to high won't damage your X1 as long as you have them on and don't max out the volume. Rule of thumb is to always adjust the volume with the headphones on :wink:

As for the DSS hiss I believe it's due to the higher output impedance. The higher the headphones impedance the less hiss, except for orthodynamics.
Though I rarely get any hiss with just a few HPs.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #20,224 of 48,566
No setting the gain to high won't damage your X1 as long as you have them on and don't max out the volume. Rule of thumb is to always adjust the volume with the headphones on :wink:

As for the DSS hiss I believe it's due to the higher output impedance. The higher the headphones impedance the less hiss, except for orthodynamics.
Though I rarely get any hiss with just a few HPs.
Makea sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #20,226 of 48,566
Considering the recent spike in price of the MA900s would getting the X1 for about $30 more be worth it? I've been having trouble deciding which headphone to get and the MA900s being discontinued doesn't help! I'd be using the headphones for PS4 gaming and would probably pair it with the Turtle Beach DSS. I'd also use the headphones with my PC using my on board audio to listen music (electro, synthpop, indie, and much more!) and PC games. I wouldn't be getting an amp or sound card for quite some time. So I have a few choices, get the MA900s from djdeals for around $182 although many people have had troubles with the site, buy it off Amazon for $220, or spend a bit more and get the X1 off Amazon for $250. What do you all think?

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #20,227 of 48,566
  Considering the recent spike in price of the MA900s would getting the X1 for about $30 more be worth it? I've been having trouble deciding which headphone to get and the MA900s being discontinued doesn't help! I'd be using the headphones for PS4 gaming and would probably pair it with the Turtle Beach DSS. I'd also use the headphones with my PC using my on board audio to listen music (electro, synthpop, indie, and much more!) and PC games. I wouldn't be getting an amp or sound card for quite some time. So I have a few choices, get the MA900s from djdeals for around $182 although many people have had troubles with the site, buy it off Amazon for $220, or spend a bit more and get the X1 off Amazon for $250. What do you all think?

I would go with the X1s.  They are a very good buy at their current sale price of $249 this month.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #20,229 of 48,566
Well, Change Is Good, I got the Sony's refunded and I got the SoundMagic HP100 for $189.93 w/ Free Shipping, from the reviews I have read I am really excited to try these out.

They may not look as cool as the Sony MDR-1Rs, but they are supposed to have absolutely amazing sound.

Thanks again for your recommendation for a comfortable pair of over the ear closed headphones.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #20,230 of 48,566
  Well, Change Is Good, I got the Sony's refunded and I got the SoundMagic HP100 for $189.93 w/ Free Shipping, from the reviews I have read I am really excited to try these out.

They may not look as cool as the Sony MDR-1Rs, but they are supposed to have absolutely amazing sound.

Thanks again for your recommendation for a comfortable pair of over the ear closed headphones.

Make sure you report back and let us know how you like them! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #20,231 of 48,566
Sorry for a noon uestion. But I had seeing the picture of how to connect the xbox through a mixamp to a headphone amp etc. Questions if the amp is connected by rca and they show only right and left channel can the sound on the headphones through the amp can be surround. Thanks

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #20,232 of 48,566
Noob question. I had seen the picture of how to connect a mixamp to a head phone amp, just curious do u still get surround sound in your headphones from the amp even you connect 2 rca cables meaning only 2 channels of audio.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #20,233 of 48,566
Sorry for a noon uestion. But I had seeing the picture of how to connect the xbox through a mixamp to a headphone amp etc. Questions if the amp is connected by rca and they show only right and left channel can the sound on the headphones through the amp can be surround. Thanks

Mixamp > Y Splitter > 3.5mm to RCA > Headphone amp > Headphone

You will still get surround as you just amplify the output of the mixamp

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #20,235 of 48,566
Question for anyone that has owned both the Astro Mixamp 2011 and Astro wireless 5.8 mixamp. How much more does the 5.8 wireless hiss compared to the Mixamp 2011? Other than the bass boost in the 5.8 wireless, are there any other differences sonically? Thinking about purchasing the a30's + 5.8 wireless. I think it would be wise for me to purchase it since there are no other wireless mixamps that are compatible with any headphones and I'm sure once they are all gone, I'll be out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back