Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 14, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #20,026 of 48,562
Not a good idea, because if you do, it would have a turtle beach... because only those headsets are compatible with the DSS's chat functionality.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #20,029 of 48,562

So, 250 + tax for the X1, $30 + tax for the BoomPro and last of all, a mixamp for $130 + tax.  That's about $446 for some better clarity and sound stage. Not sure if it's worth it. X1's sound great but they aren't blowing me away for the money. I might have to go back to the drawing board.

Sorry if I sound bitter. I know these toys aren't cheap. I guess I didn't do enough research and I was hoping to own noobs tonight without any issues.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #20,030 of 48,562
^that's why we first recommend for consoles getting a separate mic and headphone. The BoomPro is more for smartphones, tablets, and PC.

X1 ($250) + lapel mic ($3.50, [plus a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for Xbox360, $2 or so]) + Turtle Beach DSS (~$25/$30 on eBay) = about $280 plus tax for a great PS4 setup. If the PS4's included mic is fine, maybe the best solution for you is to just return the BoomPro and use a normal audio cable with the X1.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #20,031 of 48,562
Yes, but I think he's trying to avoid all the extra wires... hence why I said avoid the DSS period. He can't have the best of both worlds and not expect to pay for it... plain and simple.

If he couphed up the extra change it wouldnt be by much more. He can easily find a used mixamp for 60-75 bucks. Then, he'd have exactly what his heart really desires.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #20,032 of 48,562
Yes, but I think he's trying to avoid all the extra wires... hence why I said avoid the DSS period. He can't have the best of both worlds and not expect to pay for it... plain and simple.

If he couphed up the extra change it wouldnt be by much more. He can easily find a used mixamp for 60-75 bucks. Then, he'd have exactly what his heart really desires.

Yes, I'm trying to avoid having a bunch of wires. I'm thinking of purchasing a mixamp or maybe using my USB Logitech desktop mic with my PS4. Would that be possible?

BTW, would my X1 + BoomPro + Mixamp work with my PS4 + Xbox One? I don't want extra cables and connections. I'm thinking I'll need 2 extension cables. One for audio and one for the mic?

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #20,033 of 48,562
I have been using the astro a40 and a30 for the past 2 yrs with the wireless mixamp. I just purchased the Sony MDR-MA900 and I was wondering should I get the newer mixamp pro or should I just stick with the wireless mixamp. Also I game on PS3 and PS4. Also watch a ton of Netflix and anime Blu-rays.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #20,036 of 48,562
Jan 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #20,037 of 48,562
Thanks for that!

I also want to share my appreciation for this thread in general it opened my eyes to hi end headphones and getting great positional audio in games.

So far I've owned:
Some crappy turtle beaches
AKG Q701
DT-990 Pro 250
Sony MA900
AKG K712Pro

I've settled on the 712 Pro it has surprisingly better rear positioning to me then the sony and much smoother bass. I heard a bit of distortion in the sony's.

My dumbo ears touch the divers on all of these cans. It doesn't seem like I'll get any long term comfort without stepping up to a 2x the price set of headphones :frowning2:

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #20,038 of 48,562
  Thanks for that!

I also want to share my appreciation for this thread in general it opened my eyes to hi end headphones and getting great positional audio in games.

So far I've owned:
Some crappy turtle beaches
AKG Q701
DT-990 Pro 250
Sony MDR500
AKG K712Pro

I've settled on the 712 Pro it has surprisingly better rear positioning to me then the sony and much smoother bass. I heard a bit of distortion in the sony's.

My dumbo ears touch the divers on all of these cans. It doesn't seem like I'll get any long term comfort without stepping up to a 2x the price set of headphones :frowning2:

I wanna chime in too.
AKG K612 Pro [not in the guide, but for the price is my #1, if you have the amp for it]
Sony MDR-MA900
Philips Fidelio X1
Audio Technica ATH-W1000X [likes amping too, though for the price, not recommended]
[see sig..]

I have big ears too!
My ears touch the Sony MA900 [not terribad though], K612s [surprisingly comfortable although they touch my ears], and W1000X [stock pads]
The Fidelio X1 and W1000X [HiFiMAN pleather pads] don't touch my ears.
The X1 might be worth a shot, really. Mighty comfy!

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #20,039 of 48,562
Seems like your impressions of the K612 are made up of a bunch of different AKG headphone impressions. The K612 mids may be a bit more forward than average, but they still have the very common dip below line-level dB, and midbass rises above line-level and doesn't sharply drop off the dB as bass extends into the sub region – overall the K612 has the smooth shallow v-shape common in high-fi headphones. The older K701, K702, and Q701 headphones had bumps in the headband that were pretty firm and caused some people discomfort (me too, in longer listening sessions), BUT the K612 has no bumps to it's headband, so it should shape to your head and feel more comfortable than most headphones.

From what I've read and my AKG experience, I'd recommend the K612 over the HD598. While they both have a decent Frequency Range balance, the K612 is more "fun" and energetic while the HD598 is more "laid-back," perhaps feeling oddly "removed" from the energy of Metal. The K612 wins in comfort unless you like more clamp, the HD598 headband is also more rigid and hard. Some people really love the Sennheiser experience, they do make great headphones, but I would recommend AKG.

I bet you're like me, you research things for a looong time before you settle on a choice, but once you make that choice you are very satisfied with it. I waited a few years to get my first AKG, and Let's not talk about how long I waited to get my first car that wasn't a hand me down... But take it from experience and do yourself a favor, wait a few weeks to make sure a desire isn't an impulse, but if you take too long and research turns into stalling tactics, you'll make your head spin. Eventually you have to be decisive, and you'll be glad you did :)

Sounds exactly like me! Get too many different thoughts/opinions in my head and it makes the decision extremely hard!

DJ found me a place where I can get the k612s shipped for $224 or so. Can't really beat that price. The HD598s I found used for $180-220 used.

Any negative to not being having a removable cable? I know with the more costly headphones people like to change them out for better quality cables which I don't see me doing. But is there ever any worry of cables failing?

Lastly what would be a recommended amp/DAC combo to add to my SB Z to make the 612 sound best? won't be right away so I will have to deal with SB z for a while.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #20,040 of 48,562
Sounds exactly like me! Get too many different thoughts/opinions in my head and it makes the decision extremely hard!

DJ found me a place where I can get the k612s shipped for $224 or so. Can't really beat that price. The HD598s I found used for $180-220 used.

Any negative to not being having a removable cable? I know with the more costly headphones people like to change them out for better quality cables which I don't see me doing. But is there ever any worry of cables failing?

Lastly what would be a recommended amp/DAC combo to add to my SB Z to make the 612 sound best? won't be right away so I will have to deal with SB z for a while.

No, the K612 cable feels pretty solid. Only pretty much what you said - can't replace it, though I believe you can send them for recabling somewhere, should you want.
Audio GD DAC/amps are pretty good, Matrix M-Stage with the DAC module is pretty good too [my current setup for the K612s]
Or EHP-O2/Xonar DX, being the cheapest good setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back