Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #19,982 of 48,563
  Hello everyone, I'll be buying my first audiophile grade headphones and I need advice.
I narrowed my options down to the X1 and the MA900. They are at a similar price range where I'm getting them from since I have to import them. I'll be getting either a Soundblaster Z or a Xonar DG(X) with them. I'll mostly be using it for gaming (%50), movies and music (%25 and %25 each). I listen to a very wide range of music and while I enjoy a good amount of bass, I wouldn't consider myself a basshead. I like to have good directional audio as I play FPS games quite often however I'm also into single player RPG games so immersion is a big factor as well.
Additional notes: MA900's build quality is a bit of a put off for me but if they are as comfortable as everybody claims they are then that's a fair compromise. X1's look really sexy however the non-replaceable ear pads  concern me as I don't know how long they're going to last.
So which headphone would be the best for me?

Guys, I realize this may have been asked before but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I know it's really subjective, but given my considerations and the similar prices, can anybody help out? (I bought the SBZ)

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #19,983 of 48,563
Hey, just wondering if anyone would review the upcoming audio technica ATH-ADG1 and AG1, the latter being the closed version. 

They've only been released in Australia so far I believe, and there are precious few reviews of them from down under. Wait till the global release.

Guys, I realize this may have been asked before but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I know it's really subjective, but given my considerations and the similar prices, can anybody help out? (I bought the SBZ)

I have the SBZ with the X1 and they pair really well. I've not heard the MA900, but as you'll have read here, you can't go wrong with them. Don't worry about the non-replaceable pads on the X1- keep it on a headstand and they'll last a long time.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #19,984 of 48,563
I got a little too spoiler tag happy, and forgot to end the last one o the 1840 review, which is why everything is hidden in the last 1840 spoiler tag.

I'll fix it asap.

My phone keeps crashing before I edit, so... should be fixed soonish.

If any of you own the MA900 and want more bass... just get the 1840 pads. The MA900 rumbles like a closed headphone. Still sounds good for competitive gaming, though obviously not as good as the stock pads. Still, the comfort boost is amazing. I could see me using the pads for everything except music.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #19,985 of 48,563
Hey guys I just bought the beyerdynamic dt990 pro's and am looking to hook it up to my ps4.  I have a yamaha receiver with silent cinema but I am thinking that I will need more power to have them sound like I would like them to.  Is there an amp that allows me to get dolby 5.1(7.1) to my headphones from the ps4?  I know the Astro mixamp is popular but I don't think it's going to have enough power for them.  Any suggestions?

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #19,986 of 48,563
  Hey guys I just bought the beyerdynamic dt990 pro's and am looking to hook it up to my ps4.  I have a yamaha receiver with silent cinema but I am thinking that I will need more power to have them sound like I would like them to.  Is there an amp that allows me to get dolby 5.1(7.1) to my headphones from the ps4?  I know the Astro mixamp is popular but I don't think it's going to have enough power for them.  Any suggestions?

I'd recommend trying them with your receiver first, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #19,988 of 48,563
Thanks for the reply.   Yes that would be awesome if the receiver will work for them.  It will definitely save me some money.  I don't mind spending the money to make them sound good but if I don't have to then that's fine by me as well.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #19,989 of 48,563

It all depends on which kind of surround sound you prefer. The mixamp has Dolby Headphone while the Recon 3D has THX TruStudio Pro. Check the videos provided on the front of the guide and make your choice based on that. Don't let one of us make the decision for you...

By the way, Mad, I see (as others have mentioned) that the surround sound processors section is missing/deleted... in case you didn't notice that when they mentioned it. And also, thanks for returning everything safe and sound :)

Thanks for the post! I think the Dolby Headphone sounds better, MixAmp it is then! Wondering which amp to throw into the mix now with the Beyerdynamic 990 Pro's + MixAmp, the Fiio E12 or the Schiit Magni. The E12's nice and portable but the Magni can be very easily paired up with the Modi to offer a nice AMP/DAC for non gaming use.... hmmm.... Although Ill probably have to setup an additional ac adapter at my desk so the Magni can easily travel between my PS3 and desktop area.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #19,990 of 48,563
FiiO probably could NOT use CMSS-3D or SBX ProStudio, I doubt Creative would license this to a competitor... But who knows? DH isn't my personal 1st place favourite, but I do like it and use it, pretty much everyone here would be happy with DH2 processing. A few of us here thought FiiO was already doing this when your company announced the D5 DAC, but it wasn't what we had hoped (5.1 to 2.0 headphone virtual surround processor and DAC).

I would have to say, (subjective) that if FiiO was to use DH as it's 3D model going forward, their product would soon be left behind as inferior. I have used all of the above plus others over the last 25 years extensively in the FPS gaming environment via headphones, and in my opinion HD would come last every time out of the current up to date offerings and as you say "isn't my personal favorite". It is not broken, it's just not anywhere near the best and people are wanting better. That being said, I understand there are competitive licensing issues that my stop them using something else, but who knows, times are a changing.

A competitive sound environment is going to require more than DH.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #19,991 of 48,563
About to buy creative aurvana live 1! or skullcandy slyr, mic dependent. Just before i do, can i ask why the Creative aurvana live! 2 are not reviewed or recommended as much? They look more sturdy than the CAL 1.

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #19,992 of 48,563

I would have to say, (subjective) that if FiiO was to use DH as it's 3D model going forward, their product would soon be left behind as inferior. I have used all of the above plus others over the last 25 years extensively in the FPS gaming environment via headphones, and in my opinion HD would come last every time out of the current up to date offerings and as you say "isn't my personal favorite". It is not broken, it's just not anywhere near the best and people are wanting better. That being said, I understand there are competitive licensing issues that my stop them using something else, but who knows, times are a changing.

What's your suggestion then?

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #19,993 of 48,563

What would you suggest instead (keeping in mind potential license issues)?

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #19,995 of 48,563
I have yet to hear any virtual surround give the sense of space that DH does. Yes, it's the one to sound LEAST like a headphone, and more like sounds are coming from everywhere, especially when it comes to rear positional cues. SBX would be my second choice.

The only one I personally felt to do it better was Beyerdynamic's Headzone, which sounded just as open, and less processed. That baby doesn't come cheap.

SBX, THX TS, etc all have very good surround emulation, but they sound like headphones being expanded. I'm still aware of what I'm wearing when I listen to those demos. DH's effect is quite different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back