Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #19,786 of 48,562
  Hey Chico, thanks.

Yes, I had one and a half day to compare. The HD 800 I received was just how I experienced it in 1k hours.

Tradeoff sounds negative in a way (I know you don't mean it), don't interpret it that way. The K812 is still very neutral and extremely accurate/detailed. To me it wins with midrange and bass making it more universal for more genres (EDM for instance is much better than on the HD 800) but its speciality really shines with anything that is acoustic (or let's say real instruments) and needs accurate reproduction to sound "life-like" (I hate that term, you know what I mean). You'll love it. Drums are mighty impressive with the AKG. 

btw: Hifiman HE-560 did get lighter and easier to amp just as Dr.Fang promised at the High End 2013 when I asked him personally so the "next gen" remarks of others are spot on. 

I'm still a little on the fence regarding K812 vs HD800. 

I see people preferring one over the other on both sides.  When Tyll dropped the "tizzy" bomb, people got quite riled up.  Jude still hasn't posted anything on them apart form his initial impressions, which were very positive (he also mentioned that he didn't notice any tizziness).

There seems to be a consensus forming that the HD800 is still more detailed and resolving, and has the larger soundstage (areas where it beats most headphones apart from perhaps things like the SR-009, etc.).  If the K812 makes up for it in other areas, I guess I'm OK with that.  The K812 doesn't seem to measure quite as well, but than again most headphones don't measure as well as the HD800 (detail/resolution and measuring well are sort what the HD800 is known for), so I'm not overly concerned with that.

It sounds like between bass/mids/treble you feel the K812 wins 2/3, with the HD800 still edging ahead with soundstage.  Do you notice any upper mid peakiness/resonance on the K812?  The graphs almost looked like it shared some of the infamous 2 khz bump found on the x70x drivers.

I know you sort of already said this, but am I correct in assuming that if you could only live with one...you'd choose the K812?

I won't be able to pick either of them up for a while, as I spent those funds on a much-needed PC upgrade.  So that gives me time to wait for more reviews/impressions to surface. 
popcorn.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #19,788 of 48,562
  Saw this on the web. It's the opening for a PS Vita cooking game called Deka Mori Senran Kagura. I'm so confused, and the opening is definitely out there. But boy does it make me want to pick up a Vita. :p

I call anime cross hentai intro!

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #19,789 of 48,562
  Sorry to bump, but really curious if anyone has any thoughts on the ability of a Marantz receiver's headphone out powering the AKG Annies vs. a desktop amp per my question earlier: 
Hey guys, I have the AKG K702 Annies and they are driven from a Marantz receiver (SR-5005) with Dolby Headphone. Does anyone know how the output power and sound quality of a receiver like this on the headphone jack compares to say the few suggestions most people make for lower budget desktop amps here to drive the notoriously power-hungry AKGs in the $100-250 range? 

My $500 Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver seems to do a fairly decent job of driving my headphones.
I would assume you would spend a lot more then you would like, for a DAC/amp, to be able to make a noticeable improvement, over the Marantz SR-5005.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #19,790 of 48,562
  Saw this on the web. It's the opening for a PS Vita cooking game called Deka Mori Senran Kagura. I'm so confused, and the opening is definitely out there. But boy does it make me want to pick up a Vita. :p

Delicious.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #19,791 of 48,562
ph34r.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #19,794 of 48,562
What a pervy game.  Makes me hate anybody who likes or creates that stuff.

Likewise...that's just disturbing. It's bad enough with the Oculus stuff I've seen around. :/

I want to try Mirror's Edge on the Oculus though.

Wait, I just watched that. What in the serious f did I just watch? D:
*puke*

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #19,795 of 48,562
Extreme jiggle physics.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #19,796 of 48,562
I much prefer the stereo over the dolby in the examples you linked. Using the dt770 80ohms paired with a fiio e10. Maybe it's because they are closed and don't have enough soundstage to take advantage of the features.

Ah well, will know soon as I am about to order an open pair. Can't decide between beyer 880s, beyer 990s, fidelio x1 or senn hd598's. I would love a pair that both fitted my music and gaming, though it seems to be difficult. Heavy melodic metal and gaming are far apart I guess.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #19,797 of 48,562
i know how you feel i love metal and i love gaming XD i cant decided between the 770 and 990 both 250 ohms much less if i should get a e17 for the dac or just get the e12 not sure i game on my alienware 18 dunno if i need a dac or not

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #19,799 of 48,562
  Has anybody here played with a creative sound blaster omni surround 5.1? looks good.. wonder if its better than the u3.. it also has optical out..

I believe @Evshrug has the Omni currently, if I'm not mistaken. If you're going optical out to another DAC then all you care about is getting the Dolby Headphone from the U3, and if it does that portion just as well as the Omni then there's no reason to spend the extra. But if you're using the DAC in the Omni, it's better than the one in the U3, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back