Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #19,698 of 48,562
Makes me wanna rebuy the X1 and Boompro. I grow tired of the cable clutter that is the the clip on mic + headphones. The DX clip on cable is VERY easy to tangle too. GAH. Why, oh why couldn't my ears do well with some mid bass, god?

After more use with the 1840 with gaming, I went back to my MA900 (since the 1840 isn't efficient enough when using voice chat, and I was playing with my friend), the MA900 truly showcases how bassy it can actually get. I called in several helicopters in CoD Ghosts's multiplayer, and boy... DAT RUMBLE.

Also, using the 1840 pads on the MA900 later on reinforced my belief that the MA900's drivers are just repurposed XB1000 drivers, with mitigated bass due to design differences everywhere else. Now that's just an assumption, but the MA900 even with fully breathable velour like the 1840's pads is super potent in bass, even with that cavity.

I read from Innerfidelity that the CAL2 is inferior to the CAL. Stated by Tyll himself. I trust his judgement.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #19,699 of 48,562
Okay, new input desired: I've now read that it's possible to power the DT990 Pro 80s acceptably with a Xonar DG, leaving me the option to upgrade the amp later. The other options are the AD700[x] and AKG K612, which I haven't seen a great deal about in terms of competitive FPS use. Can anyone here comment on their quality for that as opposed to the Beyer/ATs?

Cheers

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #19,700 of 48,562
I assume you meant 770 pro 80s. The Pro 80s are efficient (as far as the 770/880/990 goes, it's the most efficient, even moreso than the 32ohm), but they STILL desire proper amping. The DG seems to be an internal soundcard version of the U3, which I can easily tell you is a VERY weak source. I don't recommend it on anything but the most sensitive of headphones. It has a crappy internal amp.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #19,701 of 48,562
Original CAL better than the CAL 2? Sucks but I guess that's a good thing for me since the CAL is going for $79.99 right now @ Amazon.

Seems like I'm down to either X1 or the original CAL then. I'm guessing the X1 has superior sound but the CAL still sounds good and are also closed cans which are a plus for me when I game at night. Hmmm....

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #19,702 of 48,562
The X1 is a noticeable step above the CAL, but for the price range, not much that compares to the CAL.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #19,703 of 48,562
The X1 is a noticeable step above the CAL, but for the price range, not much that compares to the CAL.

Would I need an amp for the CAL or X1? I have the ZXR sound card for my PC so I'm good there. I don't have another amp to use for my PS4/XB1 though. I only have the original DSS.

Last question. would you recommend the PLYR1 over the CAL or X1 for console gaming at all? I like that they are wireless.

Just noticed the original CAL just dropped to $75 on Amazon.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #19,704 of 48,562
I assume you meant 770 pro 80s. The Pro 80s are efficient (as far as the 770/880/990 goes, it's the most efficient, even moreso than the 32ohm), but they STILL desire proper amping. The DG seems to be an internal soundcard version of the U3, which I can easily tell you is a VERY weak source. I don't recommend it on anything but the most sensitive of headphones. It has a crappy internal amp.

Wow, this reply made me realise that this listing was wrong. I was wondering why I couldn't find any comparisons of the 80 ohm model with the others :v

So, K612 or AD700[x] it is. Do you have any experience/know anyone I might pester for information about K612s for comp?

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #19,705 of 48,562
Both the X1 and CAL are efficient headphones, the CAL even more so. I suggest at least a portable amp for both, though for gaming purposes, it's not completely necessary. I dunno about the ZXR's output impedance which may alter the balance of the headphones negatively. may not be an issue overall, but it's possible. If you're gonna spend that much for an X1, don't do it a disservice by attaching it to underwhelming sources. The CAL is a safe bet for minimal amping, output impedance mismatch aside.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #19,706 of 48,562
Both the X1 and CAL are efficient headphones, the CAL even more so. I suggest at least a portable amp for both, though for gaming purposes, it's not completely necessary. I dunno about the ZXR's output impedance which may alter the balance of the headphones negatively. may not be an issue overall, but it's possible. If you're gonna spend that much for an X1, don't do it a disservice by attaching it to underwhelming sources. The CAL is a safe bet for minimal amping, output impedance mismatch aside.

I just ordered the CAL. I'll look into buying the X1 at a later when when I can afford a proper amp.

I don't think you saw my last question in regards to the PLYR1. Would you recommend that over the CAL for console gaming or should I stick with the cheaper CAL?

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #19,707 of 48,562
The CAL is a better sounding headphone. The PLYR1 is good with the extra benefit of being wireless. The CAL is GREAT, sounds better, and is more comfortable.

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #19,709 of 48,562
So i guess my question was answered about the Beyer COPs not being a headphone suitable for gaming..?

Im still not sure wther to buy them or not. Some say they are good, some say not good. I like them because they dont require amping, since i dont want to buy an amp yet and just want to get a mix amp pro.

Plus i like that the COPs can detach the cable and i could buy the boom mic from v moda, which is 30 bucks cheaper than beyers gooseneck mic.

Plus i wont be using it for just gaming but for music as well. more of a versitile headset i guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back