Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #19,535 of 48,562
From a technical standpoint chicolom (and I've soaked up a lot of info on this): you've never ever said one outclasses the other - basically is the K712 pro/K702 Annie in a completely different league from the X1, or are the AKG's just slightly better in the mids.... and that's it? If I put one or the other on my grandmother ,which one would she tell you is the best.,.. then die happy?

I may just have to spend considerably more for the "holy grail" of headphones, or something..........

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #19,536 of 48,562
  From a technical standpoint chicolom (and I've soaked up a lot of info on this): you've never ever said one outclasses the other - basically is the K712 pro/K702 Annie in a completely different league from the X1, or are the AKG's just slightly better in the mids.... and that's it? If I put one or the other on my grandmother ,which one would she tell you is the best.,.. then die happy?

I may just have to spend considerably more for the "holy grail" of headphones, or something..........

"As for the inevitable question of "which headphone is better" between the Anniversary and X1?  I really don't think you can generalize that one is "better" than the other, because they both go in two different directions (I feel that statement holds true for many other headphones as well)."

On a technical level, the K712 is a slightly better headphone, meaning it has little extra bit of detail and refinement.  It's not a huge difference though.  It is NOT in a "completely different league".  In terms of signatures it's going to be a draw based on personal preference since one is a little more balanced and the other is a little more fun.

If you're looking for a complete upgrade from the X1 though, I don't really think the K712 is it.   The K712 is basically more of a sidegrade than an true upgrade, since they're both very nearly on the same level in many respects.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #19,537 of 48,562

"As for the inevitable question of "which headphone is better" between the Anniversary and X1?  I really don't think you can generalize that one is "better" than the other, because they both go in two different directions (I feel that statement holds true for many other headphones as well)."

On a technical level, the K712 is a slightly better headphone, meaning it has little extra bit of detail and refinement.  It's not a huge difference though.  It is NOT in a "completely different league".  In terms of signatures it's going to be a draw based on personal preference since one is a little more balanced and the other is a little more fun.

If you're looking for a complete upgrade from the X1 though, I don't really think the K712 is it.   The K712 is basically more of a sidegrade than an true upgrade, since they're both very nearly on the same level in many respects.

The two are rather great compliments to each other if you ask me.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #19,538 of 48,562

The two are rather great compliments to each other if you ask me.

Yep.

From the "Conclusion" in my review:

"I can't fault the Anniversaries for being more balanced and I can't fault the X1s for being more fun.  That's why they compliment each other....and that's why I've kept them both."

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #19,539 of 48,562
Alan Wake for PC is heavily discounted on Steam for anyone who hasn't played it. 
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15407/

Great price for a great game.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #19,540 of 48,562
Hi Envy and entourage, 

So I am one step further in my sound-whoring quest ^_^. Bought a K612 and it is an awesome headphone. Not really allot of experience with headphones in general, so I have no idea if it is actually better than x or y, but I am very pleased with it. Comfort is great, and sound-whoring works better than my Igrado's did. Music sounds allot better via my receiver compared to HTC phone / computer though, so it is not recommended for users without an amp.

Now I have a question left, what Dolby headphones settings are you using? There is DH 1, 2 and 3.... I have been using 1 until now (just figured out there were more...). There is little information, especially regarding gaming (see (not really interesting) links below), and once again it seems to be a case of personal preference. After doing some reading I think 1 or 2 will be the best for me, but the differences sound marginal to me, what do you guys use? I am sitting roughly 3 meters from my TV if that really matters (6x4 room, i'm sitting right in the middle). 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/74301/which-one-is-better-dh1-or-dh2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/51032/dolby-headphone-dh1-dh2-dh3
http://www.overclock.net/t/214536/dolby-dh1-dh2-dh3-and-regular-cans

Thanks again for the help

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #19,541 of 48,562
Most people use DH2, and DH2 is the default on devices that don't let you choose.  DH2 usually gives the best soundstage size / to amount of reverb ratio. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #19,542 of 48,562
Yeah, DH2 is the common setting, and what most external devices use. Don't bother with DH3, and if you feel like DH2 sounds too processex, try DH1. Dh1 is the most technical, but also with the least soundstage and depth.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #19,543 of 48,562
Portal 2, Alan wake, and LA Noire for $17. God I love holiday sales. I cant wait to try Alan Wake, everybody has said how great of a game it is. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #19,544 of 48,562
by the way Envy can you comment on how the HD 598s are for your taste (dnb, liquid, chill, trap, trance) ? we listen to mostly the same genres and I was gonna pick those up. i heard theyre not very bass-y and i have the XB500's now and was wondering how severe the change will be

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #19,545 of 48,562
  Portal 2, Alan wake, and LA Noire for $17. God I love holiday sales. I cant wait to try Alan Wake, everybody has said how great of a game it is. 

Alan Wake is great. I think you are gonna like it. Felt very original the first time I played and the atmosphere is very eerie :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back