Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #19,142 of 48,562
Others have mentioned jus plugging it straight into the PS4 controller with a Y-cable. I, however, just plug it into the mixamp...

The PS4 is extremely picky with reading the mixamp, properly, for the chat function to work. You must first turn on your controller, pick the user for the controller, plug in the mixamp, turn it on, and then pick the user for the headset. You must make sure you do it in that order for it to work.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #19,143 of 48,562
I'm getting the AudioTecnica ATH-A900X Headphones with the Creative Sound Blaster Z soundcard.
I was recommended this soundcard since I honestly don't know much about them. I'v posted enormous essay sized threads about my very specific needs for a gaming headset and finally decided on the A900X's and to just get a seperate mic. Now they are just basic stereo as far as I know but I need very precise surround sound for gaming. I'm specifically looking for 7.1 surround sound for gaming but i'v heard the Creative Sound Blaster Z soundcard only outputs in 5.1. Now are there really any good soundcards out there that can put out real sounding 7.1 surround sound for my A900X's? Is it possible  or should I just get a Sound Blaster Z? My price range is $100 and below for a soundcard. I could go higher if needed though.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #19,144 of 48,562
  Others have mentioned jus plugging it straight into the PS4 controller with a Y-cable. I, however, just plug it into the mixamp...

The PS4 is extremely picky with reading the mixamp, properly, for the chat function to work. You must first turn on your controller, pick the user for the controller, plug in the mixamp, turn it on, and then pick the user for the headset. You must make sure you do it in that order for it to work.

Are you using a mod mic as well?  Or do you have a gaming headset?

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #19,148 of 48,562
Is it the AntLion one?  How is it and is it worth $34?

The modmic is worth it if you want a boom. I used to own one. That said I've been playing with the cheap DX clip on mic with my 650s lately and Evshrug hasn't had any issues hearing me. I'm impressed with it for a cheap mic.

For my boom mic now I use the V-Moda BoomPro on my headphones with a removable cable. I like the all in one design more for roughly the same price.

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #19,149 of 48,562
IMO the older version of the modmic was excellent. The new version is too long, and makes for akward placing. It is still better than a clip on IMO. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #19,150 of 48,562
I have tested sound levels of gaming microphones using Window's "listen to this device" feature of inputs. I found that a cheap desktop mic wasn't very good and picked up a lot of background noise. The Zalman was louder but picked up my clothes and keyboard noise quite a bit. Then I got the Modmic and personally found it wonderful. Loud and clear with the best signal to noise ratio.

If you find the Modmic too long you can always make a loop in the boom to shorten it.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #19,151 of 48,562
It's all subjective, but I think most in here prefer Dolby Headphone over virtual surround. I've had both, and slightly preferred the mixamp because of DH...

Dolby Headphone IS virtual surround, at least one particular implementation of it.

Anything that provides surround sound over stereo headphones using HRTF or similar techniques is virtual surround. It doesn't specifically mean DH or SBX or CMSS-3D or anything else that's a particular implementation of the technique.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #19,152 of 48,562
Dolby Headphone IS virtual surround, at least one particular implementation of it.

Anything that provides surround sound over stereo headphones using HRTF or similar techniques is virtual surround. It doesn't specifically mean DH or SBX or CMSS-3D or anything else that's a particular implementation of the technique.

Sorry, forgot to type "other" after "over." Thanks for clarifying...

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #19,153 of 48,562
Random Thought: You know what headphone would probably benefit the most from the alcantara pads? The 940...........
ph34r.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #19,154 of 48,562
I'm not quite sure what that Alcantara stuff is, but Fanatec made a selling point of it on their Porsche-branded racing wheels. That stuff must feel particularly nice.

As for the general preference for Dolby Headphone in this thread compared to other tech, I can think of a few reasons:

-This is mostly console gaming-centric, which already means CMSS-3D, SBX and Razer Surround, among others, are automatically not an option due to being PC-only.

-Of the remaining ones for which there are devices designed for console use or at least general home theater use, Dolby Headphone is indeed among the better ones. Any significant upgrades require a vast price jump into the $1,000+ range, namely the Beyerdynamic Headzone and Smyth Realiser systems, and those still won't handle voice chat mixing.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #19,155 of 48,562
I really wanna test SBX extensively. I really liked the short demos of it, and I feel is the next upgrade from Dolby Headphone. Creative needs to hurry up with an external spdif version.

Whenever work is dead, I play, and I use THX tru studio. Much too lazy to detach my Xonar U3 from my usb hub at home. THX TS works fine the vast majoroty of the time. There are a few games that don't mesh with it, but they probably don't do well with DH either.

Change, as for how often the bass distorts on the 1840, I haven't tested at length (been gaming mostly), though since I've been very cautious of the AD being delivered, I listened to music on the 1840 at low volumes. It's a very enjoyable low volume headphone due to it's clarity and neutral sound.

Nameless, the alcantara is... the best thing. Seriously, better than pure velour. I feel the 1540 pads are amazing, over the 1840 pads. But it recesses the mids a bit for me, on the 1840 and MA900.

If it hadnt, id have asked Change for the 1540 pads for the MA900 instead, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back