Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #19,096 of 48,562
They're AMD FirePro cards.

And no, you can't perform internal upgrades, but the computer is ridiculously powerful, and thunderbolt 2 ports on the outside allow for new external upgrade options... already they got external PCIe graphics cards working with the first version of Thunderbolt, albeit slowly, I think each thunderbolt 2 port gets like PCIe 8x bandwidth. It's possible that the Xeon processors inside may not be overclockable, so... the aluminum core (very big heatsink!!) probably was tested to be over-adequate to manage temperatures, and the point of that huge heatsink and huge fan is low rpms high efficiency cooling, so it'll probably stay cool enough while staying quieter (with lower maintenance?) than a liquid cooler pump and system.

Pretty sure you don't have an interest in actually using OS X anyway... Kind of like I don't want to use Windows, it's just that for some games I HAVE to (hopefully Steambox removes that requirement?), most of the productivity and creativity apps I want to use I own for OS X. You'd probably only use OS X out of curiosity (which is fine, but I don't think you have a need for what Mac offers).

All that said, the power of it is waaaaaay overkill for my needs... it would just be the second kind of cool for me to own :D
I probably should just get a 27" iMac instead, dual boot it with Steam or Windows.

I know what GPUs are being used on those cards, but honestly, do those look like cards that would fit in a typical PC case? They're not exactly off-the-shelf hardware, especially given the cooling system used. At least with the old Mac Pro and the Power Macs that preceded them, you could use whatever PCI/AGP/PCI-Express cards you wanted. And while there are external Thunderbolt PCI-Express bays, I'd be left feeling like the internal FirePro GPUs are just dead weight if I needed the external PCIe bays for graphics upgrade.

Keep in mind that today's "powerful" is tomorrow's "hopelessly obsolete", hence my being in favor of upgradability. The Apple answer to that question seems to be "buy a new computer"...though they're honestly not targeting my sort anyway, the sort of people who would change graphics cards like underwear if budget permitted it.

As for liquid cooling being noisy, it all depends on what parts you get. A Laing D5 (which most people know as the Swiftech MCP655 and all other sorts of rebrands) mounted properly is almost silent, and you can get radiators with low fin density, tuned to work best with slower, quieter fans that don't make much noise. It's still noisier than a completely passive-cooled setup devoid of fans, but at least in my experience, pump noise is generally drowned out by fan noise.

Thus, I don't believe Apple's "heatsink core" approach is necessarily cooler and quieter...but it IS inherently lower-maintenance in that you don't have to top off a loop with distilled water every now and then.

Indeed, OS X is nothing more than a curiosity for me. For that matter, the Mac I want most is a Mirrored Drive Door Power Mac G4 set up to tri-boot OS 9.2.2, OS X 10.4 Tiger and OS X 10.5 Leopard, since that covers most of the Mac software base I care about: games that haven't found their way to Windows for some reason. Unfortunately, said Macs still command a bit of a premium, like $300 or so last time I checked.

Of course, when I grew up on IBM-compatibles all my life, it's only natural that I don't feel as tied to Apple. Your case is different; you've already got a lot of Mac software. (Ideally, software should be "buy one copy, get ALL the versions", but it very rarely works out that way...)

In other news, UPS delayed that MMX300 delivery by a day. First impressions will have to wait.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #19,097 of 48,562
Did you get the 2013 Edition?

I've been offered the K812 for a moderately good price but the measurements are somewhat dissapointing. Don't wanna spend that much. If I get an open headphone again it would have to fair better for that price. We'll see about Sennheiser. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #19,098 of 48,562

I've been offered the K812 for a moderately good price but the measurements are somewhat dissapointing. Don't wanna spend that much. If I get an open headphone again it would have to fair better for that price. We'll see about Sennheiser. 

Where's the measurements for it?

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #19,099 of 48,562

Never mind, I'm an idiot. Measurements look good aside from the treble being a jagged mess, though it may only look bad, not sound bad. Everything all the way up to the patented 2khz AKG bump looks splendid.. :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #19,102 of 48,562
Did you get the 2013 Edition? [mx300]

It's an MX300 that someone was recently talking about on the forums, his cat broke the cable and the owner was willing to sell it at an insanely good price rather than get it repaired himself. I... THINK it was a 2013? Maybe end of 2012, the guy said it was pretty new but we don't know the serial number.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #19,103 of 48,562
Hey erveryone. I have a titanium HD sound card, and the akg q701. Can you please recommend a good amp for this setup?

Try it first straight into the sound card, later get a FiiO E09k or Shiit Vali, read reviews and pick the one matching your taste.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #19,104 of 48,562
Hey everyone. I have a Titanium-HD sound card, and the AKG Q701. Can you please recommend a good amp for this setup?

Schiit Magni or Bravo Ocean would be these cheapest you would want to spend.

Might trying reading up and asking questions on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #19,107 of 48,562

It's an MX300 that someone was recently talking about on the forums, his cat broke the cable and the owner was willing to sell it at an insanely good price rather than get it repaired himself. I... THINK it was a 2013? Maybe end of 2012, the guy said it was pretty new but we don't know the serial number.

I wish I could find a serial number or some other identifying mark on this thing, because I can't.

What I can say is that I definitely didn't get that hard case with padded foam interior like in this review. Would've been nice to have, but the carrying bag alone should suffice.

In other news:

-They weren't kidding when they said the MMX300 feels like a solid, durable piece of kit. If this is an example of typical Beyerdynamic construction, it definitely feels trustworthy.

-The cable quality, on the other hand...let's just say it's that cheap, thin-gauge wire I expect to see on budget headsets. I notice that part, of course, because of the spliced replacement connector I got with it that needed some work...and speaking of which, THAT tripped me up for a moment because the outer ring that you'd solder the tip/left channel connection to...wasn't actually connected to the jack's tip conductor, isolated from any actual conductive bits! Fortunately, I found a part that was conductive, made a solder bridge, and that sorted it out.

This is why you keep a multimeter handy if you're gonna do any soldering work. Check those connections!

In any case, now I've got a secure, solid connection so the channels aren't cutting out and making static noises of any sort. Mission accomplished!

-I just noticed some thin black plastic bits in the headband breaking off and coming loose when I extended the earcups from the main headband. I'm guessing they help hold the tension so the earcups don't slide too easily. Still, that's another point off from Beyerdynamic's construction score...

-This thing's a lot more comfortable than I was expecting. The velour pads are nice and cushy, the cups are deep enough that nothing's really pressing against my ears and the parts that touch rest on soft foam, and big enough to be truly circumaural, and it doesn't feel like I've got a vice on my head.

-Sound isolation is moderate, for a closed set. You wouldn't wear these as earmuffs...then again, earmuffs of the sort I've been given while test-taking are insanely uncomfortable, something I'd never want in a headphone, especially a gaming headset that's going to be worn for extended periods.

-I'm not finding anything immediately offensive about the sound presentation. Vocals don't sound extremely recessed, there's some sparkle, and the bass has punch. I still don't know if this is a "bass-light" or "bass-heavy" set, given that nobody says that with a clear reference point, but these are certainly bassier than the AD700.

-The soundstage is surprisingly large for a closed set, at least enough for headphone virtual surround to do its thing. CMSS-3D Headphone frontal cues sound a bit weird and not as prominent compared to my usual open sets, though maybe I just need some time to get used to it. Mental burn-in, if you will. Rear cues are fine, and pretty exact to boot.

EDIT: I found some distinguishing features, comparing to this eBay auction listing.

-The box looks noticeably different. Less colorful, and the MMX300 is pictured at a different angle.
-The connectors are different! They don't look so cheap this time, whereas my MMX300's mic jack (still the original, unlike the headphone jack) looks like the same kind you'd find on a cheap Logitech headset.
-The earcups have black rims on that one. My set has silver rims.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #19,108 of 48,562

Is that your version? Then it's the old one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back