Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #19,036 of 48,562
Didn't mean to keep us up so late, but much fun was being had!

It's pretty cool the mic was at least clear, since I didn't do any prep we basically had a worst-case scenario for the mic... though they advertise it being a little better.

Also, three words:

Mac Pro.

HNNNNNNNNNGH!

Yeah, that Mac Pro is a thing of beauty. But since I don't do much video editing any more and my MBP is still excellent with my interface/mic for voice over work I don't see myself getting one any time soon. That said, I can't wait till we get the house and I can once again have a permanent desk location. I want to try my recording setup for gaming again. It was fun to be that over-the-top.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #19,040 of 48,562
Question about the sony MA900... When you are wearing them, if you shake your head back and forth side to side or tilt your chin all the way down, do they move?  I found a pair of them open box in the sony store for $150, but now that I have them at home, I am noticing that they are not staying on my head very well.  Thoughts anyone?  When i look down the back of the pads slide all the way to the back of my ears where they finally stop.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #19,041 of 48,562
Like I said, inconsistent drivers. You just didn't get a premium DT770 that sounded like the MMX300. They are out there. Again, the MMX300 doesn't just have one sound either.

There have been both bass heavy MMX300 and bass light/balanced.

How can you tell them apart without having to audition them first?

Also, three words:

Mac Pro.

HNNNNNNNNNGH!

I'm gonna be honest, I don't like the new Mac Pro's design for a few reasons:

-Those graphics cards sure look proprietary to me...as does everything else in the Mac Pro, actually. Goodbye, upgradability! Hello, planned obsolescence!
-The thermal core idea is interesting, but they cheaped out and used aluminum instead of copper, presumably to keep the weight down. I'd rather have better cooling performance.

Then again, as a custom-building PC enthusiast, Apple's direction pretty much goes against everything I stand for, best represented in this huge Corsair 800D tower next to me, crammed with a custom water-cooling loop and carefully picked PC parts. I'd probably rather Hackintosh or try and find an old Mac Pro on the cheap (yeah, right).

Speaking of Hackintoshing, that's probably something I could do with my old Q6600 box right now...

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #19,042 of 48,562

How can you tell them apart without having to audition them first?

I'm gonna be honest, I don't like the new Mac Pro's design for a few reasons:

-Those graphics cards sure look proprietary to me...as does everything else in the Mac Pro, actually. Goodbye, upgradability! Hello, planned obsolescence!
-The thermal core idea is interesting, but they cheaped out and used aluminum instead of copper, presumably to keep the weight down. I'd rather have better cooling performance.

Then again, as a custom-building PC enthusiast, Apple's direction pretty much goes against everything I stand for, best represented in this huge Corsair 800D tower next to me, crammed with a custom water-cooling loop and carefully picked PC parts. I'd probably rather Hackintosh or try and find an old Mac Pro on the cheap (yeah, right).

Speaking of Hackintoshing, that's probably something I could do with my old Q6600 box right now...

I've entertained the idea of making a hackintosh myself, but right now I find my mind drifting towards the notion that building a Steam Machine could be a better use of time.

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #19,043 of 48,562
Anyone have a solution for the Astro Mixamp 5.8 chat cable? I have the mixamp but would like to be able to chat with people on my PC/PS3. I can't seem to find this cable anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/New-ASTRO-Gaming-USB-Chat-Cable/dp/B005ETV4LQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #19,045 of 48,562
  Keep in mind that SteamOS isn't meant to replace a desktop OS. It's meant for the living room.

Exactly. I already have a MBP and it's my main computer. A hackintosh might not get as much dedicated use. But the ability to stream from the MBP to a Steam Machine could be just what I'd need.

Granted, buying one is simpler. And that iBuyPower model seems interesting. Can't wait to see more specs.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #19,047 of 48,562

I asked this recently.

Get a Xonar soundcard. Anything from the DGX to STX, depending on how much you want to spend. Then hook that up to a Schiit Magni amp. You can get both from Amazon/Newegg.

EDIT - Actually, if you are getting a Schiit Magni, make sure you are either getting a soundcard with an RCA output or know that you may also need to get a 3.5MM to RCA adapter if the soundcard does not have RCA out.

Does the STX even really benefit from an amp though?  It's plenty strong as it is. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #19,048 of 48,562
  I have a stupid question. Since I only have an SPDIF out on my PC would these not work for me?

Your motherboard/soundcard doesn't have a front port connector for USB or 3.5mm? If not, then yeah you would need something to convert it to whatever connector the headset has.

Does the STX even really benefit from an amp though?  It's plenty strong as it is. 

Depends. I was harangued by Mad Lust Envy for not reading 1,270 pages of thread to determine this, but some headphones need a more powerful amp to be fully powered.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #19,049 of 48,562
The STX should powerful most headphones very well. Some headphones may benefit from more, like the AKG 70x, Mad Dogs, HD650, and definitely the single digit Hifiman planars like the HE-4.

The first three mentioned do sound well with the STX's internal amp though so it's not a necessity to get a stronger amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back