Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 15, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #18,991 of 48,562
Cubemonkey,
Should be good kit! hope you enjoy/love it and have many moments that just take you away and feel so good :)

I keep thinking to make more vids and "guide" articles in my thread, I know a lot of other people have done it but I think that next I'll make a guide with general tips to plan out choosing a music system (headphone-amp-DAC-processing-source). While I don't want to ruin the fun of "picking the right component for me," I do think a lot of people would benefit from understanding the vocabulary and how to scale their audio chain for their budget.

Rnght now though I'm just going to sleep, because my iPad keeps crashing Safari every 3 minutes. It's really starting to irk me.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #18,992 of 48,562
Hi! I just bought Skullcandy SLYR Headset, but I can hear static sound when is quiet, for example in the Xbox Dashboard or the PS3 XMB. I tried with other headphones in the GMX Mixer and the sound is there no matter what, I don't hear it when I play, but if someone talks I can hear static. I don´t know if this is normal. Help please, I'm from Mexico and I don't want to return them, it's very difficult to send things to USA :frowning2:

Yes, I saw your post earlier but I'm not sure how to help.
I believe Mad said the mixer just has background hiss normally in his SLYR review... ditch the Mixer for something better like a Turtle Beach DSS on eBay.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #18,993 of 48,562
Hi! I just bought Skullcandy SLYR Headset, but I can hear static sound when is quiet, for example in the Xbox Dashboard or the PS3 XMB. I tried with other headphones in the GMX Mixer and the sound is there no matter what, I don't hear it when I play, but if someone talks I can hear static. I don´t know if this is normal. Help please, I'm from Mexico and I don't want to return them, it's very difficult to send things to USA :frowning2:

Tu nombre es una contradiction, hahaha. I like it a lot.

The Slyr's mixer is a little hissy. It is not a problem with the headphone itself. If you dont plan on using the mic on the mixer, you can try and find a used DSS as evs stated. It will give you better audio and dolby headphone.

Sadly, most of these amps that are bundled with certain headsets tend to be hissy.

I should be getting the Slyr back tomorrow, so I'll give it a test and see how the Mixer acts. It's been awhile since I've used the Slyr, let alone the Mixer.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #18,994 of 48,562
Just remembered I could still play ps4 without a controller...my Vita. Remoteplay still plays with the ps4 displaying on the tv...

Ah well. Not a good idea for COD, since the Vita's analog sticks are terribad.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #18,996 of 48,562
So... it's December 15th.

I turned 31. So in order to celebrate, I'll be putting up 31 new reviews in the near future....

Okay, maybe it's more like 3.1 reviews. :D

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #18,998 of 48,562
Tu nombre es una contradiction, hahaha. I like it a lot.

The Slyr's mixer is a little hissy. It is not a problem with the headphone itself. If you dont plan on using the mic on the mixer, you can try and find a used DSS as evs stated. It will give you better audio and dolby headphone.

Sadly, most of these amps that are bundled with certain headsets tend to be hissy.

I should be getting the Slyr back tomorrow, so I'll give it a test and see how the Mixer acts. It's been awhile since I've used the Slyr, let alone the Mixer.

Muchos me dicen de mi nombre :) Well, thank you very much. I can handle the noise, isn't that loud. I maybe get the DSS 2 for christmas but I don't know if the mic will work. If I buy the Astro Mixamp I can use the mic? Or the DSS 2 can work with my mic?

Thank you again and happy birthday!

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #19,000 of 48,562
So... it's December 15th.

I turned 31. So in order to celebrate, I'll be putting up 31 new reviews in the near future....

Okay, maybe it's more like 3.1 reviews.
biggrin.gif

Congratz for being another year older :D
OT-That's cheating! 31 it is :p

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #19,001 of 48,562
Huzzah! Wanna test it out tonight? I could get on borderlands 2 again
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm all for some more BL2. I'm free tonight around 11ish. Break the seal on multiplayer gaming with the HD650s and try out the DX mic. I was very impressed with MLE's sound for the price, so let's see if I too drew the lucky straw on quality.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #19,002 of 48,562

Best games for sound? That's easy: the original Thief trilogy (The Dark Project/Gold, The Metal Age, Deadly Shadows)!

It's a combination of excellent sound design and pinpoint positioning, which you're going to need if you want to sneak your way past things. No Soliton Radar System for you here!

Other PC games from that era of DirectSound3D/OpenAL had the positioning down just fine, but Thief stands out because of its sound design adding to its sense of atmosphere, not just being a competitive gameplay advantage, but being critical to the game's immersion.

Worst games for sound? Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is easily among them, and a grave insult to the series at that.

Positioning? What positioning? All I heard was canned panning and no decisive sense of direction! I actually thought for a long time that the Frostbite engine just had terrible audio positioning until I tried Battlefield 3 during the $5 Origin sale and found that wasn't necessarily the case. Can't comment on Battlefield 4 yet.

The actual effects and overall sound design are pretty good, it's just that they're all mixed so terribly. No setting I've adjusted can fix it.

Dead Space had been mentioned a few times back in August, but I thought I'd just remind people about how the first two games (especially the first), had some of the best audio in any game that I can remember.  While I'm not quite sure about the positional qualities yet (I haven't played it since I started using DH), it had by far the best atmospheric audio.

Also, was reading over the reviews on the first post again, and just wanted to mention that the "holes" in specific positions aren't necessarily because of the headphones themselves, even if the headphone might pronounce an issue more than another.  The "5 to 7 hole" that the DT880s supposedly possess have more to do with your decoder/drivers than anything else.  The cues were "okay" with the Essence STX and these headphones initially, but after grabbing the custom, unified drivers and then the custom 7.1 profile, I was able to clearly hear things coming directly behind at 6 instead of sounding like it was between 4 and 5 and 7 and 8.  The simulated center speaker actually sounded like a center for a change too instead of it sounding either like a center that was elevated to the top of my forehead, or was simply coming from the left and rights that were closer together than they should be.

I just finally played through Half Life 2 and both episodes with the FFCM mod (after owning HL2 since 2004 and almost finishing it multiple times...), and I'd often just walk around when NPCs were talking just to make sure I wasn't imagining things.  The detail was excellent and it didn't sound like the "fake" frontal and rear cues from just making a huge frontal and rear cone like it did prior to the newer drivers and profile.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #19,003 of 48,562
Hi everyone. I am new here, and want to thank mad lust envy for the amazing guide. because of it, and me being an impulsive buyer, I ended up buying the X1's and Annie's. Now I'm starting to think I only needed one pair, especially since I am primarily interested in immersive/fun gaming.

I don't think I'm allowed to sell the Annie's on this website am I (on the classified section)? If there is anyone that wants a pair, I can sell them to you for a much cheaper price than what they are going for now (on amazon they're $430) 

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #19,004 of 48,562
  Hi everyone. I am new here, and want to thank mad lust envy for the amazing guide. because of it, and me being an impulsive buyer, I ended up buying the X1's and Annie's. Now I'm starting to think I only needed one pair, especially since I am primarily interested in immersive/fun gaming.

I don't think I'm allowed to sell the Annie's on this website am I (on the classified section)? If there is anyone that wants a pair, I can sell them to you for a much cheaper price than what they are going for now (on amazon they're $430) 

There's a for sale section of the forums that is very lively. You can sell the Annies there. Pop up a listing and you'll get responses pretty quick. My last few listings had bites within hours of posting.

That said, there are minimum requirements to sell in the forums. I don't know what the new requirements are. When I joined a couple years ago it was a minimum 50 posts. I believe it has since changed.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #19,005 of 48,562
Dead Space is one of my favorite auditory experiences in gaming.  Incredible atmosphere and sound design.  The audio is literally award winning. 

Bioshock also has excellent audio. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back