Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 14, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #18,976 of 48,562
Originally Posted by raif89 

As I'm playing with my settings with my Xonar STX settings, anyone have recommendations on how to set up the STX to work well with the headphones for music/movies/gaming? I've got all these features that I don't know how to use (or if I should use em). I can't find anything labeled gain or something but have stuff like Dolby Headphone which I'm assuming is more for gaming to get that surround sound, but I've got some like 5 buttons with different settings like Hi-Fi or Music/Gaming/Movies and then there is the Effect with the range of kilohertz that I've left on default. I also put the sample rate to 192KHz and the channels at 8 channels. As you can see, I'm a little lost. 

Google = friend: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18298469
There's also a big thread on the STX here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #18,977 of 48,562
Dec 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #18,978 of 48,562
  All you should need to change is the Audio Channel setting in the Xonar control panel.
6 or 8-channel for surround sound (movies and gaming) and 2-channel for music audio (or basic internet videos)

OK, it´s just that MLE mentioned to be sure to configure it to 7.1 in the control panel as well. But maybe that can be set to 7.1 permanently and then just change in the xonar panel afterwards?

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #18,980 of 48,562
I've had an issue with my left analog stick on my PS4 controller since I've first received it, and now it just flat out disregards L3 half the time. So now I have to RMA it, and wait 7-10 days AFTER they receive the damn thing. So I'm basically without my PS4 for 2 weeks.

Gotta love life at the moment. Everything just likes to dump on me all at once.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #18,981 of 48,562
QFT

Microcenter's off-season CPU + Motherboard prices still probably beat online retailers prices during Black Friday.

I think they price them so nice just to get you down there in the store, so you'll be tempted to buy other things too.  The only reason I went there today was to return my AMD CPU + board, but I ended up looking around at stuff for an hour.  Once you get inside it's hard to break free and leave. 

Does Micro Center do price protection on CPUs?  If so, how did you go about getting that handled? 

I'm going back next week to grab an intel CPU (4670K ) + motherboard. The price protection might come in handy should they have some kind of after-Christmas/New Years sale a bit later.

The first time a neighbor took me there for computer parts, I felt like a kid in a candy shop...it's not every day that you find a retail store with the part selection Newegg offers, let alone competitive prices and even extra enthusiast things like compression fittings for custom water-cooling loops.

It's even better if you're shopping for computer cases specifically, as you get to see them in person and understand exactly what you're going to be working with if you buy one for a new build.

I'm not entirely sure on the details of their price protection program, but my i7-4770K was still within the return period (15 days) during that sale, meaning that I could have made them go through a complicated full refund + repurchase process if they didn't have such a system in place.

I've had an issue with my left analog stick on my PS4 controller since I've first received it, and now it just flat out disregards L3 half the time. So now I have to RMA it, and wait 7-10 days AFTER they receive the damn thing. So I'm basically without my PS4 for 2 weeks.

Gotta love life at the moment. Everything just likes to dump on me all at once.

Reliability problems? That sucks...especially when the DualShock 4 is otherwise such an awesome gamepad.

Seriously, a DualShock 4 with the DualShock 2/3's analog buttons and native PS3 support would practically be gamepad perfection.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #18,982 of 48,562
So you can't use the older PS3 controllers as backup? Anybody heard of reliability issues with these new PS4 gamepads, or have you just pulled an unlucky dud MLE?

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #18,983 of 48,562
Hi! I just bought Skullcandy SLYR Headset, but I can hear static sound when is quiet, for example in the Xbox Dashboard or the PS3 XMB. I tried with other headphones in the GMX Mixer and the sound is there no matter what, I don't hear it when I play, but if someone talks I can hear static. I don´t know if this is normal. Help please, I'm from Mexico and I don't want to return them, it's very difficult to send things to USA :frowning2:

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #18,984 of 48,562

The first time a neighbor took me there for computer parts, I felt like a kid in a candy shop...it's not every day that you find a retail store with the part selection Newegg offers, let alone competitive prices and even extra enthusiast things like compression fittings for custom water-cooling loops.

It's even better if you're shopping for computer cases specifically, as you get to see them in person and understand exactly what you're going to be working with if you buy one for a new build.

I'm not entirely sure on the details of their price protection program, but my i7-4770K was still within the return period (15 days) during that sale, meaning that I could have made them go through a complicated full refund + repurchase process if they didn't have such a system in place.
in

I know what you mean.  It's a little overwhelming going in there and seeing the in-stock selection.

It's nice to be able to physically see the computer cases in person, and not have to rely on online pics or one of those "360 3D" spin views.

I was blown away by the size of some of the full tower ATX cases.  For reference, in the below pic that small looking case on the left is actually what most people would consider your normal sized desktop (mid ATX).  The case on the right is really just that big in comparison!

That 15 day price matching makes since, as you could make them do it anyways through a full return/new buy, but it saves them a lot of work to just give you a little refund.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #18,985 of 48,562
That case...it looks like Cooler Master's answer to the Corsair 900D in its massive full-towerness.

I remember a few years back, when the Corsair 800D had just released to rave reviews everywhere, and I wanted it. I saw it in Micro Center and wanted it even more. Now I own it, and I like it...except this thing REALLY needs some casters, it's so heavy when fully-loaded! (And the power button assembly is some seriously cheap crap for a $300 MSRP case. Good thing I only paid about half that.)

Now, as for more headphone-related news...Head-Fi is ruining my finances again. I still have no experience with anything AKG, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser...but I'm about to scratch the second one off that list. Good thing I know how to solder.

Mad Lust Envy, you might want to prepare for a review within the next month, especially seeing as you have DT770 experience...

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #18,986 of 48,562
  First off, I wanted to thank anyone who helped me pick out my headphones (especially MLE for making this thread) I just got my X1's and I must say as  Headphone virgin... holy crap. Why did I not buy something before hand?

As I'm playing with my settings with my Xonar STX settings, anyone have recommendations on how to set up the STX to work well with the headphones for music/movies/gaming? I've got all these features that I don't know how to use (or if I should use em). I can't find anything labeled gain or something but have stuff like Dolby Headphone which I'm assuming is more for gaming to get that surround sound, but I've got some like 5 buttons with different settings like Hi-Fi or Music/Gaming/Movies and then there is the Effect with the range of kilohertz that I've left on default. I also put the sample rate to 192KHz and the channels at 8 channels. As you can see, I'm a little lost. 

Any help would be cool and highly appreciated. As these headphones are awesome I want to do em justice for each area of use (Music/gaming/movies)

thanks!

Out of curiosity, why did you go with the STX over one of the cheaper Xonar cards like the DGX?

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #18,988 of 48,562
I admit I was confused by the application of "semi-open" to the Q701s, but I read it a few different places. 

Ok, so they're open. Wife and I have a little overlap in the time we're in the same room while I'm gaming, but not much. I'm going to give them a shot and see how it goes.

Problem is I have very little basis for understanding how much sound escapes from an open headphone. People on the headphones subreddit told me to just leave my G35 playing on my desk and that would be a good comparison. Others have said it's just like having desktop speakers playing. Given that these people are audiophiles, I'm surprised at how wildly different those comparisons are.

If the Q701s don't work out, I'll find a closed set. You like the Mad Dogs, but man are they ugly. 

I made a practical (low-science) video demo comparing the sound leaking from different types of headphones. I'm evshrug there as well as here, just search my name.

Several headphones leak a fair bit less while you're wearing them.

Point made.

So Mad Dogs + Mixamp Pro + E17 + Modmic as a starter kit?

Then again, could the Mad Dogs live on just the Mixamp?

One thing to consider: the Mixamp and the E17 are both DACs. The Mixamp or other surround processor must get a digital signal directly from the computer, so you could only use an E17 as a power amp for the Mixamp.

The Mixamp is really only intended for current-gen Consoles, you could figure out a work-around but it's simpler (and cheaper) to just get something made for a PC. The SoundBlaster I just got for my PC works really well, sounds very clean.

Try Dxtory instead of fraps. When my friends and I were recording PS2, Dxtory gave you more options and caused fewer FPS problems.

Thanks for that suggestion, I've asked how to create YouTube vids with baked-in surround a few times so I could make examples for others, but I hadn't heard of DXTory before, thanks for that. Now, I can finally make the samples I "need" to complete my guide on virtual surround.

I know how you feel all too well, because people keep asking me about headphones I've never, ever heard, which happens to be the majority of them.

There's a REASON I redirect them to your guide for headphone recommendations; you've sampled all the usual AKG, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser sets, while I've mostly centered on Stax systems whose pricetags are downright intimidating because of the amp requirements, and most people don't keep speaker amps around to use with the transformer boxes, either.

There's a MUCH simpler way to do this that doesn't require any cables; it's usually called "Stereo Mix", or "What U Hear" on certain Creative devices. Just record from that.

By the way, instead of FRAPS, it looks like people are faving DXTory, or if you've got a Kepler-architecture NVIDIA GPU, ShadowPlay.

Haven't heard of ShadowPlay before and I just updated NVIDIA Experience last night, I'll have to check it out. Just activate shadowplay, and then What U Hear with the soundcard's surround turned on, right?

Huzzah! My DX microphone has finally made it over on the slow boat from China. Now I can try gaming with my HD650!

Huzzah! Wanna test it out tonight? I could get on borderlands 2 again :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #18,989 of 48,562
I made a practical (low-science) video demo comparing the sound leaking from different types of headphones. I'm evshrug there as well as here, just search my name.

I'd already seen it and it was very helpful. Thanks.

After changing my mind ten times I've gone with DT 990 250 ohm, a Xonar DGX, a Magni, and a modmic. I think that will do to start.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #18,990 of 48,562
Hi! I just bought Skullcandy SLYR Headset, but I can hear static sound when is quiet, for example in the Xbox Dashboard or the PS3 XMB. I tried with other headphones in the GMX Mixer and the sound is there no matter what, I don't hear it when I play, but if someone talks I can hear static. I don´t know if this is normal. Help please, I'm from Mexico and I don't want to return them, it's very difficult to send things to USA :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back