Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #18,631 of 48,565
I'm in the market for a new hp that is going to complement my DT990, and it'll be either the Sony MA900 or the AKG 612 Pro. I've heard that the latter is supposedly even better than Sony, but I couldn't find much on the internet. D:

Is there anyone here who had the chance to hear both?

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #18,632 of 48,565
I'm in the market for a new hp that is going to complement my DT990, and it'll be either the Sony MA900 or the AKG 612 Pro. I've heard that the latter is supposedly even better than Sony, but I couldn't find much on the internet. D:

Did not hear the K612, can recommend the MA-900 as a great balanced can.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #18,633 of 48,565
It's amazing, you replied to my post, and yet it seems like "Q701" was the only part you read. Meh. I did hear that the Dragonfly was superb, and I have heard that the K550 don't sound much like the Q701, different soundstage and less natural tone. I like having one closed headphone and one great open headphone, less overlap, though to be honest I always reach for the open headphone if I can.

Both on offer in my local hifi store.they are just for browsing the web listening to stuff like this..http://soundcloud.com/guidosloungecafe/guidos-lounge-cafe-broadcast-089I thought I would get myself a bargain for Christmas for under $400!

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #18,635 of 48,565

I own both. Overall I find the K612 the better sounding of the two. Both are good headphones and the sound signature is different , but overall I find the K612 the more balanced and refined sounding of the two. But like most AKGs it can be a bit difficult to find the right synergy for them as they are quite picky.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #18,636 of 48,565
baku, what are you plugging your DSS to? If the DSS is getting a Dolby Digital signal, there is no way it isn't doing proper Dolby headphone (the light should be on).

If you're gaming on PC... your PC has to have an optical out that is capable of sending a olby Digital signal. For example, my Alienware laptop has an optical out, but it ONLY does 2 channel pcm, no Dolby. In order for me to get Dolby from my PC, I have to use my Xonar U3 external soundcard. It does Dolby Headphone OR it can send out an untouched Dolby Digital signal if you really wanna use the DSS.

I'm using this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3KX16D4582

I have an optical cord going from that to the DSS annd from the DSS a 3.5mm to the headset.

is that external sound card my weak link?

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #18,637 of 48,565
Got my NFB-15.32 today and it sounds awesome with USB and music and with optical input. But does the soundcard do anything ? Because when I jump between 2 channel and 8 channel nothing changes aswell when i enable or disable dolby headphone option theres no change compared to before I used the NFB-15.32, am i doing anything wrong  or is it supposed to be like this ?
I have SPDIF out box checked and  PCM

And thanks to everyone that helped me pick out a headphone + amp/dac before =)

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #18,638 of 48,565
Hi there,

Sorry to post again, but I am still a little lost!

These will primarily be used for gaming but also music and other needs. They wont leave my PC desk so they don't have to be mobile. My needs are: comfort > gaming > music. Someone asked what type of music I listened to as a reference, here it is.

My decision seems to be Philips X1 vs Sony MA900 vs AKG 701/702.

MA900 is currently winning as it's $100~ less than the X1s. I don't like what they look like, though. The X1's seem to never go on sale which is hurting them for me. The AKG's have multiple versions right now: 702s, 702 anniversary and 701 QJ. I don`t think I'd notice that much of a difference getting into higher end pairs like the anniversary edition though, so those are probably out too. A big problem with the AKGs is that Amazon doesn't seem to let me order them from Canada. I can order the rest, but none of the AKGs ship to Canada. Are there other places that ship to Canada I should be looking out for? I don't mind waiting until Christmas for a pair, so I'm fine waiting for a sale on any of these.

Either way I'm sure I'll be more than happy with all of these for my needs, so I guess the best action is to just wait for one to go on sale and make the purchase?

Finally, what else will I be wanting/needing to pick up with these headphones? Will I need a soundcard (My MoBo is ASUS Maximus VI Hero which apparently has pretty decent sound)? Will I need an amp? If so, any recommendations? Is this a long-lasting purchase that I will be able to use for years?

Thanks and apologies for posting so many questions. This is a big purchase and I've never had more than $29 plantronics from Future Shop. Also, I don't really have a strict budget, so if something like the Anniversary AKGs are really worth it for what I need I'll gladly shell it out.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #18,639 of 48,565
  Hi there,

Sorry to post again, but I am still a little lost!

These will primarily be used for gaming but also music and other needs. They wont leave my PC desk so they don't have to be mobile. My needs are: comfort > gaming > music. Someone asked what type of music I listened to as a reference, here it is.

My decision seems to be Philips X1 vs Sony MA900 vs AKG 701/702.

MA900 is currently winning as it's $100~ less than the X1s. I don't like what they look like, though. The X1's seem to never go on sale which is hurting them for me. The AKG's have multiple versions right now: 702s, 702 anniversary and 701 QJ. I don`t think I'd notice that much of a difference getting into higher end pairs like the anniversary edition though, so those are probably out too. A big problem with the AKGs is that Amazon doesn't seem to let me order them from Canada. I can order the rest, but none of the AKGs ship to Canada. Are there other places that ship to Canada I should be looking out for? I don't mind waiting until Christmas for a pair, so I'm fine waiting for a sale on any of these.

Either way I'm sure I'll be more than happy with all of these for my needs, so I guess the best action is to just wait for one to go on sale and make the purchase?

Finally, what else will I be wanting/needing to pick up with these headphones? Will I need a soundcard (My MoBo is ASUS Maximus VI Hero which apparently has pretty decent sound)? Will I need an amp? If so, any recommendations? Is this a long-lasting purchase that I will be able to use for years?

Thanks and apologies for posting so many questions. This is a big purchase and I've never had more than $29 plantronics from Future Shop. Also, I don't really have a strict budget, so if something like the Anniversary AKGs are really worth it for what I need I'll gladly shell it out.

Well the AKG K701/2 needs an amp to sound their best, I wouldn't suggest them unless your willing to buy an amp. The MA900 doesn't need an amp but like most headphones would benefit from one. I don't think the X1 needs an amp either. The Anniversary's aren't really worth it imo, they are not really necessarily better than the Q701 and the K712 is cheaper and a bit better(found it slightly more refined) than the Anniversaries. If you want a sound somewhat similar to the Annies without sacrificing much if any refinement, the K612 is a much cheaper option.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #18,640 of 48,565
  Got my NFB-15.32 today and it sounds awesome with USB and music and with optical input. But does the soundcard do anything ? Because when I jump between 2 channel and 8 channel nothing changes aswell when i enable or disable dolby headphone option theres no change compared to before I used the NFB-15.32, am i doing anything wrong  or is it supposed to be like this ?

If I'm reading this right you're using a Xonar. In your windows sound control panel you should have your soundcard selected (speakers by default) not SPDIF. I think this is a common mistake and hopefully this works. What headphones are you using with the Audio-GD Hoff?

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #18,641 of 48,565
Also make sure the sound devices option for the Xonar/configure speakers is set to 7.1.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #18,642 of 48,565
  If I'm reading this right you're using a Xonar. In your windows sound control panel you should have your soundcard selected (speakers by default) not SPDIF. I think this is a common mistake and hopefully this works. What headphones are you using with the Audio-GD Hoff?

Yea that seems to have been the problem thanks man. I got a AKG K702 headphones and a Xonar DGX soundcard.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #18,644 of 48,565
I've narrowed my choices down to the MA900 and the HD598. Which do you guys recommend?

I own the HD558.
I would say to get the Sony MA900, reviewers really seem to like it's bass and every else about it.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #18,645 of 48,565
  Got my NFB-15.32 today and it sounds awesome with USB and music and with optical input. But does the sound card do anything ? Because when I jump between 2 channel and 8 channel nothing changes aswell when I enable or disable Dolby Headphone option there's no change compared to before I used the NFB-15.32, am i doing anything wrong  or is it supposed to be like this ?

Are you feed it a 2-channel music sound or 5.1 movie audio or gaming or other ?
What sound card are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back