Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 26, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #7,741 of 48,562
Quote:
I have no idea if this is a good place to ask this, but how are the HD558's for games like red dead redemption and demons souls.(No I don't play online game's).
Also how bad is the sound leakage on them? I'm not interested in bringing the outside but I need to know if it's bad enough to annoy people 10 feet away or wake them up.

They're pretty good - they've already been mentioned many times in this thread =534479&output=posts&action=disp]if you search.

They will leak some, If someones in the same room they will probably hear it.  Sort of like a pair of laptop speakers on very low volume.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #7,742 of 48,562
I find the sennheiser ie8 is good for competitive game like cs go. I can hear someone stalking behind me while trying to stab me.
For the AT M50, yes I agree with envy. The soundstage is not there for competitive game, but I enjoyed it more than ie8 while playing l4d2 and sc2. Music wise, I love it but I can hear more details with the ie8.
1 serious problem is the comfort issue. I already do the stretch mod and even getting the stand like pictured

still no help. I got discomfort after just 30 mins. I use glasses and I think I got a pretty big head...
Questions for envy, how is the senn hd650 (if you have exp with it) for gaming compared to dt770 pro 80 and dt990 pro 32? Soundstage wise between these 3 cans and gaming quality? Since I want to replace my m50.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #7,743 of 48,562
so its asking me for different things..
first it says i need Dolby Gui Software, but there isnt one i can download.
Says i have it in the disk for the motherboard driver, so i try to install dolby theater, then it says i need to download PCEE to install Dolby Theater :[.
anyway someone can link me it? or maybe upload the setup somewhere so i can download? thanks so far to those helping me.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #7,744 of 48,562
Quote:
so its asking me for different things..
first it says i need Dolby Gui Software, but there isnt one i can download.
Says i have it in the disk for the motherboard driver, so i try to install dolby theater, then it says i need to download PCEE to install Dolby Theater :[.
anyway someone can link me it? or maybe upload the setup somewhere so i can download? thanks so far to those helping me.

So far I've learned Dolby Gui software is somewhere buried on the Gigabyte CD and it's called DCC_x64
Do you still have the Gigabyte CD?

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #7,745 of 48,562
This is why I game on consoles.

:tongue_smile:

Lol. I agree. If it's not plug and play, it's not for me.

As for the HD650, never used it, and fwih, it's not great for gaming.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #7,746 of 48,562
Quote:
1 serious problem is the comfort issue. I already do the stretch mod and even getting the stand like pictured

still no help. I got discomfort after just 30 mins. I use glasses and I think I got a pretty big head...
Questions for envy, how is the senn hd650 (if you have exp with it) for gaming compared to dt770 pro 80 and dt990 pro 32? Soundstage wise between these 3 cans and gaming quality? Since I want to replace my m50.

Do you...do you have a Sieveking for an M50?? They cost as much (if not more) than the headphone!
If you want a headphone for pure gaming, I'd just skip over the 650. It's known for tricky amping requirements, and not known for gaming. On the other hand, the Beyers are known for gaming and easier amping, so you might as well go with those. If I were you I'd pick a 990--as MLE mentioned recently, the 770 can sound a little muffled. 

Consider picking up a 250 ohm model if voice chat isn't necessary.

Are you using an kind of MixAmp-like device?

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #7,748 of 48,562
Quote:
okay i got it to work. I didnt see DDL, but they sound better without the mixamp. that normal? My only option without the mixamp was Home Theater/ Dolby Headphone and Natural Bass.

Why do you need the mixamp connected to your PC if you already have Dolby Headphones in your options?

The mixamp is really just meant for consoles. To even use it with a PC you'd have to be able to transmit Dolby Digital Live with it and in most cases if you already have DDL then you'll likely also have DH.

In any case, if you really want to connect the mixamp, set your pc sound options to Home Theater and try that out.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #7,750 of 48,562
Quote:

Why do you need the mixamp connected to your PC if you already have Dolby Headphones in your options?

The mixamp is really just meant for consoles. To even use it with a PC you'd have to be able to transmit Dolby Digital Live with it and in most cases if you already have DDL then you'll likely also have DH.

cause i was told they work better with the mixamp :/.
But i use my mixamp for my consoles anyways, but if it sounds the same i will just use without.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #7,752 of 48,562
Quote:

If you want it to sound better than the only real option would be to get a desktop amp and hook it up to your pc.

I love the way they sound, i was just trying to figure out what i was doing wrong. Even with the mixamp and dolby digital live enabled they sound the same.
But in a good way. lol. maybe the desktop amp would help.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #7,754 of 48,562
Quote:
cause i was told they work better with the mixamp :/.
But i use my mixamp for my consoles anyways, but if it sounds the same i will just use without.

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, will do Dolby Headphone surround sound and it's $30.99 minus $10 mail in rebate = $20.99.
The DG comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier.
So if you can't get your current setup to finally work, just get the DG and leave the mix-amp hooked up to your console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back