Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 24, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #7,681 of 48,562
The bumps bothered for a few days. Then my head got desensitized to them, and they didn't bother me in the least. What bothered me more was that I have a long-ish head, and the Q701 were fully extended at all times on my head. If they extended a bit more, I'd give them a 10/10 in comfort after the initial discomfort.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #7,682 of 48,562
I currently use the Xonar Essence STX and the HD598 for PC gaming.  Despite popular opinion, my head seems to dislike the fit of the HD598 (I've tried clamping them tight and really loose, but I always seem to get some serious physical fatigue on my head after 30 minutes to an hour and have to endure).  It seems like nowadays Q701 seems like a popular recommendation.  The review by Mad suggests that the fit of the Q701 are hit or miss -- can anyone comment on whether or not the Q701 might in fact be good for someone that has issues with the HD598?  Furthermore, is there an improvement in competitive sound going from one to the other?  If so, I may try to sell the HD598's and get something new.  I tend to buy all-rounders that don't compromise competitive sound for gaming.  I use DH for music (I find it fatiguing without) and gaming.  Thanks.

I bought Mad's previous Q701's from him, before that I mostly used Audio Technica AD700 and Sennheiser PX100 (which right now need new earpads). I have that fun condition commonly referred to as "Thinning up top" or "deforestation" or "OMG, how am I supposed to put sunscreen on this?" Aka really fine hair that doesn't do much for padding. Also fun, I have a pretty sensitive head.

So how do I like the Q701's? The bumps make no sense to me. The headband flexes nicely, the clamping pressure is light yet just right, the earpads are huge enough to not touch my ears at all, the whole system is suprisingly light weight, and the self-adjusting system really works without looking quite as goofy as the AT "wings." But the bumps don't have much give, so it's gonna feel like you have something hard resting (lightly) on your head. So I have to move the headband forward or backwards every half hour or so.

That said, I have worn them for several 8 hour sessions so far. I think the bumps are hard for the sake of durability. In the past week I have taken to placing a piece of foam on my head as a buffer, and I don't have to do anything to wear the headphones almost indefinitely after that. These are, hands down, the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. There is a nice weight distribution balance between clamp and headband, while the higher end sennheiser's I've tried out had more clamping force than I like for long sessions. The ear comfort of the Q701 was a revelation.

To the fellow wondering about open vs closed headphones in a dorm single... My AD700 are considered very open, yet my buddy next door never knew when I was listening to music or gaming. Meanwhile, the walls are thin enough that I would always hear if he got a text message on his phone. Finally, if you are a freshman... Let me tell you, there will always be those two or three people in range who use their speakers at all hours and don't give a damn if you can hear it or not. Open headphones were never a problem, but comfortable earplugs are the only things with enough seal to let you live (and sleep) in your own little world.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #7,683 of 48,562
Hmm, I have never thought about the dimensions of my head.  I've always just considered it "roundish." :)  I guess I'll check out some youtube reviews of these bumps since it seems you are saying that the Q701, in your experience, is straight up better than the HD598.  Thanks!

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #7,684 of 48,562
The bumps bothered for a few days. Then my head got desensitized to them, and they didn't bother me in the least. What bothered me more was that I have a long-ish head, and the Q701 were fully extended at all times on my head. If they extended a bit more, I'd give them a 10/10 in comfort after the initial discomfort.

Lol I want to post pictures of Stewie Griffon and that kid from rug rats.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #7,685 of 48,562
Hmm, I have never thought about the dimensions of my head.  I've always just considered it "roundish." :)  I guess I'll check out some youtube reviews of these bumps since it seems you are saying that the Q701, in your experience, is straight up better than the HD598.  Thanks!

Would you like me to post a video to YouTube about the fit and what the bumps are like? I won't be able to post it till tomorrow (unless I go to a place with free wi-fi tonight), but I wouldn't mind. It could be part of my Q701 overall review.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #7,686 of 48,562
Quote:
The CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) has a nice sound, has cups on the small side that barely fit around the ear (at least my ears).
The Takstar Hi2050 (Technical Pro HPT990) are semi-open and come with decent Velour ear pads.

Quote:

If you don't need chat you could get the DSS v1 cheaper and then have more money for headphones.

CAL! i find for $110 and DSS v1 i find for $67. It's a good pair with this price?

About Dolby Headphone, can i plug the DSS v1 by USB to desktop/notebook, and use a player that do DH, and turn off any enhance by DSS? I will get the same DH sound if my X-Fi on desktop output Dolby by DD Live?

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #7,687 of 48,562
Sep 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #7,688 of 48,562
Quote:

CAL! i find for $110 and DSS v1 i find for $67. It's a good pair with this price?

About Dolby Headphone, can i plug the DSS v1 by USB to desktop/notebook, and use a player that do DH, and turn off any enhance by DSS? I will get the same DH sound if my X-Fi on desktop output Dolby by DD Live?

$67 is fine, although that's how much it goes for new and it's about $20-30 cheaper used on ebay or whatever.  $110 is more then the CALs usually go for.  The CAls are great for music, but I'm not sure they'd be my first choice for gaming.  They're closed, and although they are good for closed headphones I would want something open with a larger soundstage myself.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #7,689 of 48,562
Is that Philips Fidelio X1 out yet?

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #7,690 of 48,562

USB is only for power, not for sending audio from your PC to the device.
If you already have an X-Fi sound card, you should already have virtual surround sound capabilities with that card.
I have seen used DSS for less than half that price (United States Dollar).

I thought about replying to your other posts, but sometimes the language barrier makes me not know if you are saying one thing or something else.

Good Luck :)

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #7,692 of 48,562
Quote:

$67 is fine, although that's how much it goes for new and it's about $20-30 cheaper used on ebay or whatever.  $110 is more then the CALs usually go for.  The CAls are great for music, but I'm not sure they'd be my first choice for gaming.  They're closed, and although they are good for closed headphones I would want something open with a larger soundstage myself.

This price is the product + shipping to Brazil final price. The prices i put are from Ebay, the best from sellers who ships to Brazil. About DSS i don't care if is new or used, but it's hard to find these things on Ebay.

I think that the use will be 75% for movies and 25% for games, and at first post the OP have a good impression for it, i don't know if have best headphones in this price range for general use...

Quote:
USB is only for power, not for sending audio from your PC to the device.
If you already have an X-Fi sound card, you should already have virtual surround sound capabilities with that card.
I have seen used DSS for less than half that price (United States Dollar).
I thought about replying to your other posts, but sometimes the language barrier makes me not know if you are saying one thing or something else.
Good Luck
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a X-Fi XtremeGamer on my Desktop, but i bought last year just to use DTS Connect to play/view 5.1 movies on my HT, because it has only 1 Toslink input. Now my desktop is a HTPC, i don't use it more (audio goes trought Nvidia GT520 HDMI). 

Sorry for bad english in any post, it's not my native language. The question is that i have a notebook with P2 and HDMI output, so if i want to output any 5.1 sound, or i will have to buy a X-Fi USB card that makes a Dolby Live, or output from HDMI.

I want the headset + amp (DSS, ax720, etc) to see movies on my notebook with Dolby Headphone audio, and to play Wii (RCA audio, easy to convert to P2) and Xbox (optical), so this DSS will take the Pro Logic II from Wii and Dolby Digital from Xbox and output to Dolby Headphone fines. And from notebook, i will need to use Media Player Classic to output the audio on Dolby Headphone, and with the DSS take the DH audio from P2 and output it on my Headphone? Or i just plug the headphone direct on notebook?

Dolby Headphone by DSS is the same DH from software? (Foobar, MPC)?

About DSS, i took a read on DSS manual, it says that it can take audio from USB, but only stereo.

Sorry for a lot of text and questions, and any question about "language barrier making not know what i'm saying", fell free to ask and i will try my best to write again, being "clear".

Once again, thanks a lot for attention.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #7,693 of 48,562
Quote:
Is that Philips Fidelio X1 out yet?

Seems they're available in Europe already. Hopefully we see Philips bringing over more like this. Currently the only way to get the L1 model, which has been out for a bit now, in the US is through Apple's website. I haven't seen any US stores for the X1, which is new. Of course there's always the importing option too. I've wanted to hear the L1 for portable gaming myself.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #7,695 of 48,562
Quote:
I've heard the L1 is a bit muddy though.
frown.gif

I could definitely see that, considering the size of the cups. But there's a post in the L1 thread claiming that lifting the pads can reduce the muddiness as well as increase the soundstage a bit. My biggest drawback would be the pads. Supposedly they're not replaceable like the X1's are, and I'd hate to have the pads degrade and have to buy all new cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back