Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #6,706 of 48,583
Quote:
NamelessPFG,
One thing I love about pc gaming is just how long the lifespan of a game can last. Someday I'll have to track down copies of those older games with hardware-accelerated headphone 3D to get a full experience... Perhaps the continued Console stagnation will continue to bring back mainstream PC Gaming for games other than WoW, runescape, and Starcraft. Which FPS would you recommend first as a first-rate sound experience: BF2, BF 1942, or something I'm not even aware of? Have you tried Metro 2033 on PC?

Generally speaking, any game that uses DirectSound3D or OpenAL will have proper positional audio, which covers most releases from 2006 and prior. I just happen to prefer stuff like the earlier Battlefield games and Unreal Tournament because of my tastes in FPSs. (It also helps that BF2 and BF2142 were designed with the X-Fi DSP in mind in addition to using proper 3D audio APIs, as the highest sound quality settings can't be enabled without a proper X-Fi card.)

Other games like Counter-Strike would probably benefit even more from proper positional audio just due to the nature of their gameplay, but I never really got hooked on CS.

Also, if all the other people still playing it weren't so curb-stompingly good, I'd try out Descent 3 in multiplayer some more. The first two games were DOS and didn't support 3D audio (I don't think the DXX-Rebirth and D2X-XL source ports have even bothered implementing it from what I can tell), but the third one does use DS3D. It's only fitting that a game with actual 3D, 6DoF gameplay would have some 3D sound to go with it.

If we weren't talking multiplayer FPSs specifically, then the Thief series sets the benchmark for sound design and positioning in video games, in no small part due to how sound is so integral to the gameplay. Do note that all are DS3D (need ALchemy) and that some versions of ALchemy will act up with 1/2 or Deadly Shadows, while other versions work perfectly fine with both. (Thankfully, the ALchemy version included with the X-Fi Titanium HD's drivers falls into the latter category.)

I'm just glad that I'm not the only one to notice that the recent Battlefield games (from Bad Company 1 and 2, Medal of Honor, BF3) are quite lacking in positional cues. It's really a damn shame because the sound quality is absolutely among the best I've heard in a video game.

One of these days, I'm going to have to show you first-hand what Battlefield games USED to sound like, even if you'd never play those entries in the series due to the simple matter of all of them being PC-exclusive. (No, BF2: Modern Combat is not the same thing as BF2 on PC, before anyone asks.)

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #6,707 of 48,583
You can try and record the gameplay with the processsing, like I've seen on youtube, albeit quite rarely.

PC gaming audio sounds so non-user friendly with all the optimizing. I prefer simple plug and play. =/

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #6,708 of 48,583
Quote:
PC gaming audio sounds so non-user friendly with all the optimizing. I prfer simple plug and play. =/

It's not as complex as it sounds to me. It's all a matter of having the right sound card and ticking the right settings. Most of it is set-and-forget, though Vista's new, DirectSound3D-free sound stack just had to throw a wrench in the works for older games, adding a few steps to the mix.

Still, I won't deny that PC gaming is a complex experience if you want to get the most out of it. I tend to tinker around with things a lot, so it doesn't bother me at all, but I can understand why people would just want to pop in the game and play. (Now if the current consoles didn't start adding PC complexity without PC flexibility through game installs, firmware updates, stuff like that...it's like they're trying to be PCs now.)

I've thought about recording some gameplay footage using various mixing settings between my X-Fi Titanium HD and my SU-DH1 for comparison's sake, but I have some things I still need to sort out:

-what program to record with
-what game to record (some of the games I like don't seem to have demo recording functions for consistent results)
-how to ensure YouTube won't butcher the audio quality without having to make people download the video files prior to watching

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #6,709 of 48,583
Assuming you can get at least 720p vids for youtube, the audio should be relatively fine, and what's most important is audio cues, which should remain intact.

As far as games, one of the older ones you talked about. :)

I realize I could just run an audio cable from the Mixamp to the PC's mic input and record some game audio (no video feed) for some Dolby Headphone demos, but it's gonna be hissy as all hell.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #6,710 of 48,583
Quick question about PS3 gaming.

So I'm trying to find the best audio settings for DAO. I'm using mixamp pro, objective 2 amp (this amp sucks imo), and these Q701. I know I can only effectively run in Dolby 5.1 and not DTS 5.1, but what about the freqs?

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #6,711 of 48,583
One quick question guys. As I stated before, I have a Astro A30, and going with Mad Lust recommendations, I think I'll upgrade to the CAL!.

Do you think this is a worthy upgrade, is there going to be a significative difference in immersion with the CAL!,?

Or are the A30 decent enough that I am better off holding on to my money and save for something more expensive, like a DT 770 Pro for instance, when I have the chance to go to the US?

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #6,713 of 48,583
Honestly I'm into immersion aswell, coming from having A50s a week ago, I believe CAL would be worlds better as far as immersion goes. A50s did nothing for me. Sadly, I thought my older PX3s were better for immersion than the A50s. But I also don't believe they were made for that crowd anyway. DT770 pro 80s seem to be mentioned whenever immersion pops up, so they have a reputation. But I haven't had either of them so I couldn't say for sure. If A30s are anything like the A50s, I'd make the switch to whatever you feel most comfortable with. That's just me

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #6,714 of 48,583
Quote:
One quick question guys. As I stated before, I have a Astro A30, and going with Mad Lust recommendations, I think I'll upgrade to the CAL!.

Do you think this is a worthy upgrade, is there going to be a significative difference in immersion with the CAL!,?

Or are the A30 decent enough that I am better off holding on to my money and save for something more expensive, like a DT 770 Pro for instance, when I have the chance to go to the US?

If you need closed then yes the DT770 is going to be the best you can buy in this price range. I would do it for the velour pads alone. I have the HM5s and they are wonderful but I hate the pleather so so much.

I will be getting the CALs this weekend. Hope I enjoy it. If not I to am going to just save up for a DT770pro 250ohm as a closed headphone. (Probably should have done this from the beginning.)

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #6,715 of 48,583

Quote:
I will be getting the CALs this weekend. Hope I enjoy it. If not I to am going to just save up for a DT770pro 250ohm as a closed headphone. (Probably should have done this from the beginning.)

I think I'll get the CAL only because the DT 770 Pro is way more expensive where I'm getting it: 209 euros for the 770 vs 69 euro for the CAL is just too much of a difference

Let me know your impressions of the CAL after you get it!

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #6,716 of 48,583
Meant to post this before, but I forgot the actual link, lol.

Thought you guys might enjoy this. This is from the Ultrasone Demo CD that came with the Pro 900s (and I assume others like the Pro 2900). It's a binaural recording, and sounds like the band is playing right around you.

Just put on your headphones and enjoy. Those with open headphones should appreciate it even more. :)

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQRrCVosJs[/VIDEO]

The video clips at times, however.

Just got my Monster Turbines. They'll do, though not exactly highly detailed. The bass isn't bloated though. Strong, but nothing I can't handle. Mids seem right in the same level as the highs.Hhad to order some tips, because these are very uncomfortable.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #6,718 of 48,583
So I'm trying to find the best audio settings for DAO. I'm using mixamp pro, objective 2 amp (this amp sucks imo), and these Q701. I know I can only effectively run in Dolby 5.1 and not DTS 5.1, but what about the freqs?

Repost. Any idea on these kHz? 44.1 - 88.2 - 176.4
DD 5.1 - DTS 5.1 - AAC

Insight anyone?

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #6,719 of 48,583
Just set it to 44.1/48, Dolby Digital 5.1. Uncheck everything else.

What's wrong with the O2?

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #6,720 of 48,583

As a fellow Q701 owner (who got to play BF3 campaign a bit last night, setting "headphone" and "Enhanced Stereo On" in audio prefs sounded nothing like ES: Oblivion through Yamaha's Silent Cinema), I'm very curious about your opinion that the O2 sucks. Is it like what WiR3D said in his recent review of the VAMP amp, that having one pleasantly colored element in your audio chain creates the best experience and the Q701 and O2 aren't a good match because they're both transparent, or do you have a basis for comparison and you don't think the O2 stands up to the other amp for musicality? What amp would you like?
And is DAO that star trek MMO? I wouldn't expect an MMO to have the highest sound quality, especially one that takes place in a vaccum :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back