Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 7, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #5,386 of 48,562
Quote:
In other words, how much does the addition of another amp  buy you in terms of overall sound quality.

The reason for double amping the mixamp is to improve the volume, not the sound quality...

And you may not even need the volume.

May 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #5,387 of 48,562
Quote:

The reason for double amping the mixamp is to improve the volume, not the sound quality...

And you may not even need the volume.

That makes the most sense to me. I was wondering if I added the modmic and used it in COD MW if the volume would fall off a cliff.

MLE said: "I basically use my E9 only when I use my mic with the Q701,and I don't see it as more than a volume boost."
I know that you have personal experience with the set up too and you once said "Once I tried my M-stage for fun and found out it improved the sound stage I hooked that up as well."

That being said. I see all kinds of conflicting information surrounding the Q701 or K70x. One person says it may not be loud enough with only the Mixamp. Another says it will be fine with Mixamp alone. I saw one person on here who said they would not sound right without an additional amp. However, most of such comments sound like conjecture rather than experience.

Both yourself and MLE actually have a Mixamp and the Q701 and it sounds like you are both telling me it's fine, even with voice chat.
Is that what you two are trying to beat into my thick skull???

May 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #5,388 of 48,562
Quote:
I saw one person on here who said they would not sound right without an additional amp. However, most of such comments sound like conjecture rather than experience.

That does sound like conjecture.  It also sounds like they were talking about music, and/or generally adhering to the strict "x70x Must have an amp at all times" Head-fi policy. 

When you register on head-fi's forums and accept the terms of agreement, it also says that you must agree that x70x needs an amp, always.  Don't you dare enjoy them out of anything else.  =\

Quote:
Both yourself and MLE actually have a Mixamp and the Q701 and it sounds like you are both telling me it's fine, even with voice chat.
Is that what you two a trying to beat into my thick skull???

Pretty much.

May 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #5,389 of 48,562
LOL OK OK.
deadhorse.gif

Message received

May 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #5,390 of 48,562
Quote:
Is that what you two a trying to beat into my thick skull???

Pretty much.

I game with Q701 plus modmic and the Mixamp Pro has plenty volume when I set the mix level at 1 'o clock (towards the voice side).  It still leaves plenty volume for the game, to a point my volume dial is only at the most 70% or around the 2 'o clock mark.  And I consider this volume way too high for me sometimes when playing Gears of War 3 horde mode.  Sometimes the screams and explosions make me jump and I have to dial it down a bit.

May 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #5,391 of 48,562
Quote:

I game with Q701 plus modmic and the Mixamp Pro has plenty volume when I set the mix level at 1 'o clock (towards the voice side).  It still leaves plenty volume for the game, to a point my volume dial is only at the most 70% or around the 2 'o clock mark.  And I consider this volume way too high for me sometimes when playing Gears of War 3 horde mode.  Sometimes the screams and explosions make me jump and I have to dial it down a bit.

So, I guess you are pretty satisfied with that setup.  Fun / Competitive / or both???

May 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #5,392 of 48,562
Quote:
So, I guess you are pretty satisfied with that setup.  Fun / Competitive / or both???

It does both great.  I tested at the beginning with a friend's AD700, but the 'metallic' sound was annoying me after a while playing competitively in Halo to a point it started to distract me. After reading MLE and chicolom countless posts (thank you both!), I decided to get the Q701, and I'm never going to look back or forward.  This is it for me, unless the Stax come down to the $600 price range 
bigsmile_face.gif

I only considered for my gaming setup open for the large soundstage, therefore didn't bother with any other headphones that I have for listening at work.

May 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #5,394 of 48,562
Quote:

That does sound like conjecture.  It also sounds like they were talking about music, and/or generally adhering to the strict "x70x Must have an amp at all times" Head-fi policy. 

When you register on head-fi's forums and accept the terms of agreement, it also says that you must agree that x70x needs an amp, always.  Don't you dare enjoy them out of anything else.  =\

Pretty much

Chicolom.
I see that you "had" both the DT880 and DT990 but "have" neither. How did those stack up for you for gaming fun/competitive???

May 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #5,395 of 48,562
Quote:
Chicolom.
I see that you "had" both the DT880 and DT990 but "have" neither. How did those stack up for you for gaming fun/competitive???

DT880s are fun, but not as good competitive as Q701.  DT880 has a great signature - pretty balanced with some slight sparkle and some fun bass, but the soundstage isn't as great for competitive as some other cans.  It's also smaller than 990 and Q701 soundstage. 

The 990 signature was too hot and crisp for me, and the treble made the sound un-fun.  I compared the 990s and Q701s already > http://www.head-fi.org/t/592630/akg-q701-vs-dt990-600-ohm-comparison-review

May 9, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #5,396 of 48,562
Alright, I'm trying to clean up the format on the first post, but this forum really likes screwing with it and adds unnecessary java... I'm not too well versed in such things, and it's being quite a pain in the ass. That's why the first post looks so messed up. I didn't add all those spaces between things. Sigh... in any case, I've separated the sections quite a bit better, so it SHOULD look a bit less cluttered now. Please lemme know what you guys think.

Since I felt a little productive, I have also added the DT990 Pro as well as the HE-4 to the list, so check it out.

edit: 5/9/2012:

Added the HE-4 and DT990 Pro
Somewhat fixed the format of this post
Adjusted the DT880's score
Moved my top choices to the top of the page before the individual scores
Added a bit of info after the top choices
Added an All-rounders top list

Before anyone asks about the DT880's competitive score going from an 8 to a 6.5, I had to directly compare the score to the HE-4 (again, this is a SPECIAL case... for everything else, scores should NOT be compared), as I felt they were very similar, though the HE-4 is slightly better for competitive use due to better positioning. That, and it just felt odd to give them an 8 for competitive when I've been quite vocal on their issues with rear sound placement.

Lol, I edited for about an hour, finally done. I had to re-edit over an over again as to not make some mistakes with the lists.

May 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #5,397 of 48,562
Quote:

Hey IronSnake,

Could you please post a pic of your Q701 looks with the modmic?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just wondering where did you attach the sticky magnet to and how does it look.

Thanks!

May 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #5,398 of 48,562
Quote:

Hey IronSnake,

Could you please post a pic of your Q701 looks with the modmic?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just wondering where did you attach the sticky magnet to and how does it look.

Thanks!

Here's what mine looks like.  I prefer having boom mics on the left. If you put it on the right there would be a lot more room since there's no cable.

May 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #5,399 of 48,562
my modmic comes in today! 

May 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #5,400 of 48,562
Quote:
Alright, I'm trying to clean up the format on the first post, but this forum really likes screwing with it and adds unnecessary java... I'm not too well versed in such things, and it's being quite a pain in the ass. That's why the first post looks so messed up. I didn't add all those spaces between things. Sigh... in any case, I've separated the sections quite a bit better, so it SHOULD look a bit less cluttered now. Please lemme know what you guys think.
Since I felt a little productive, I have also added the DT990 Pro as well as the HE-4 to the list, so check it out.
edit: 5/9/2012:
Added the HE-4 and DT990 Pro
Somewhat fixed the format of this post
Adjusted the DT880's score
Moved my top choices to the top of the page before the individual scores
Added a bit of info after the top choices
Added an All-rounders top list
Before anyone asks about the DT880's competitive score going from an 8 to a 6.5, I had to directly compare the score to the HE-4 (again, this is a SPECIAL case... for everything else, scores should NOT be compared), as I felt they were very similar, though the HE-4 is slightly better for competitive use due to better positioning. That, and it just felt odd to give them an 8 for competitive when I've been quite vocal on their issues with rear sound placement.
Lol, I edited for about an hour, finally done. I had to re-edit over an over again as to not make some mistakes with the lists.

Nice job MLE!!! A soon as I logged on I was like "wow that looks a lot cleaner". and thanks for the Q701 include as well.
I just got my Q701's delivered to work so I have yet to try them. It sounds like my Astro Mixamp should do fine to drive them but now I am likely going to have to do something to use them with my PC. I take it I will need some amplification over my X-fi Extreme Gamer card which has no dedicated headphone amp.

Well, I guess I will try them out on bothe PS3 and PC tonight and see how it goes. Thanks again MLE and Chicolom for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back