Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 9, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #47,326 of 48,562
Hi. This is very informative thread - I hope you can help me with some recommendation.

I have Sennheiser HD555 for many years - using it mostly for gaming and music too, connected to Sound Blaster Z.
Recently I wondered if it is maybe time for some upgrade, so I got two questions:

1. Is it worth upgrading my headphones to let's say HD599/HD560S/AKG K702 (I don't think about HD650 because often I see that is not recommended for gamers but rather for music listeners). Does it make any sense to spend money for HD599 or the difference is too small to bother?

2. Similar question about sound card - is it worth to upgrade my good old SBZ to G6 or maybe X4 (however I have no idea if Super X-Fi technology itself is worth resigning from G6 which have overall better parameters)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #47,327 of 48,562
Hi. This is very informative thread - I hope you can help me with some recommendation.

I have Sennheiser HD555 for many years - using it mostly for gaming and music too, connected to Sound Blaster Z.
Recently I wondered if it is maybe time for some upgrade, so I got two questions:

1. Is it worth upgrading my headphones to let's say HD599/HD560S/AKG K702 (I don't think about HD650 because often I see that is not recommended for gamers but rather for music listeners). Does it make any sense to spend money for HD599 or the difference is too small to bother?

2. Similar question about sound card - is it worth to upgrade my good old SBZ to G6 or maybe X4 (however I have no idea if Super X-Fi technology itself is worth resigning from G6 which have overall better parameters)
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones, more of a fiesta sound.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133823404906
Plug it into the SB-Z sound card

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #47,329 of 48,562
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask about VSS but I'm wondering if anyone recommends a VSS headphone device for Dolby Pro Logic ii decoding for a Gamecube (so RCA or Stereo Jack)? I have an Earforce DSS v1 which apparently supports DPLiix but testing on a youtube video and it sounded like it wasn't working. The manual didn't clearly state if it did DPLii decoding over stereo analog.

Appreciate any help.

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #47,330 of 48,562
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask about VSS but I'm wondering if anyone recommends a VSS headphone device for Dolby Pro Logic ii decoding for a Gamecube (so RCA or Stereo Jack)? I have an Earforce DSS v1 which apparently supports DPLiix but testing on a youtube video and it sounded like it wasn't working. The manual didn't clearly state if it did DPLii decoding over stereo analog.

Appreciate any help.
Try to hunt down (on Ebay) an old Astro Mixamp (with RCA input). It'll decode DPLII into Dolby Headphone 2, and it's pretty convincing. It'a little worse than using Dolby Digital, but it's def still worthwhile on the GC/Wii.

edit: THIS ONE

But really, as long as you have literally any external VSS device with an optical digital input, and a TV that outputs Dolby Digital through its optical out, it'll take the DPLII from the GC/Wii and send that digitally contained within the Dolby Digital stream. Though I guess if you're playing retro with a CRT, you need to connect directly anyways, so you'll want the one linked.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #47,331 of 48,562
Try to hunt down (on Ebay) an old Astro Mixamp (with RCA input). It'll decode DPLII into Dolby Headphone 2, and it's pretty convincing. It'a little worse than using Dolby Digital, but it's def still worthwhile on the GC/Wii.

edit: THIS ONE

But really, as long as you have literally any external VSS device with an optical digital input, and a TV that outputs Dolby Digital through its optical out, it'll take the DPLII from the GC/Wii and send that digitally contained within the Dolby Digital stream. Though I guess if you're playing retro with a CRT, you need to connect directly anyways, so you'll want the one linked.
Awesome, thank you for such an informative reply! Thanks to your guide I also plan to pick up a SU-DH1 for DTS conversion. Super grateful for your guide and the hard work you've put into it.

You're bang on the money! I use CRTs as my first choice to play retro consoles so this Astro amp looks perfect. Cheers!

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #47,332 of 48,562
Awesome, thank you for such an informative reply! Thanks to your guide I also plan to pick up a SU-DH1 for DTS conversion. Super grateful for your guide and the hard work you've put into it.

You're bang on the money! I use CRTs as my first choice to play retro consoles so this Astro amp looks perfect. Cheers!
That's awesome. I'm a CRT lover as well. Been hunting for a component input accessible progressive scan CRT. No luck though. I'll have to do with Retroarch with CRT filters. Though I hate that I need emulation.

I'm saddened by the new crowd that thinks retro games should have a raw pixel look. It NEVER looked that way back when those games were a thing. Scanlines or bust!

Best of luck finding a SU-DH1. Those things are hella rare. If you manage to find one, then you don't need the Mixamp, as the SU-DH1 will do DD and DPLII as well.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #47,333 of 48,562
That's awesome. I'm a CRT lover as well. Been hunting for a component input accessible progressive scan CRT. No luck though. I'll have to do with Retroarch with CRT filters. Though I hate that I need emulation.

I'm saddened by the new crowd that thinks retro games should have a raw pixel look. It NEVER looked that way back when those games were a thing. Scanlines or bust!

Best of luck finding a SU-DH1. Those things are hella rare. If you manage to find one, then you don't need the Mixamp, as the SU-DH1 will do DD and DPLII as well.
Yeah, a real CRT feels great and it's nice that emulation filters have evolved to be so much more than simple horizontal lines for those who can't get one.

Raw/Sharp pixels has become its own art style now which is understandable but the way artists used scanlines and the inherent CRT properties to create pixel art decades ago feels like magic! I find it difficult to play older games without a period-correct display or filter.

Oh that's good to know about the SU-DH1, they seem to be reasonably priced in Japan but don't come up to often on auction sites, I'll keep an eye out and see if I get lucky.

Another thing I liked about your guide was how you explained how there's a lack of LPCM/PCM audio virtualization. I'm kind of bummed that there's no cheap solution to compress it into a Dolby stream for those who love VSS and want it for WiiU/Switch.

I wonder if they'll ever be hardware that incorporates the newer audio spatial sound solutions (Atmos, DTS Headphone X v2 etc) which I assume would have better 5.1 surround mixing than older hardware VSS solutions based on Dolby Headphone.

Btw, what's your opinion on Logitech/SBX solutions vs the available hardware Dolby solutions for 5.1 and consoles like PS3/360? It's kind of nice Xbox One and PS5 (although I've heard mixed things about the Tempest audio PS5 uses) have decent software solutions now but I'm still on the hunt for the best solution for that gen.

EDIT: Just realised the GC7 might do Super X-Fi processing for PS3/360 5.1 streams? oh my, I'm probably going to end up with a collection of these devices

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #47,334 of 48,562
I have some reward points from work that I can spend on the Sennheiser GSP 670. I'd like some thoughts on pairing with PS5. Mostly used for Battlefield 2042 and general gaming. Are the GSP 670's one of the best wireless headphones out?

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #47,335 of 48,562
The Audeze employee in me wants to steer you towards the Audeze Penrose instead, but the reviewer in me says the GSP 670 looks like a fine headset if that's the way you're going.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #47,336 of 48,562
The Audeze employee in me wants to steer you towards the Audeze Penrose instead, but the reviewer in me says the GSP 670 looks like a fine headset if that's the way you're going.
Respect and appreciate the honesty! I would get the Audeze Penrose if it was offered. Perhaps I could sell the 670s? It's a work anniversary gift through a corporate rewards shop so there's a limited number of gaming headsets. Really surprised to see the 670s offered.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #47,337 of 48,562
Yeah, it sounds like a good deal. I'd go for it.

EDIT: Just realised the GC7 might do Super X-Fi processing for PS3/360 5.1 streams? oh my, I'm probably going to end up with a collection of these devices
Yeah, the GC7 will do SXFI for any Dolby Digital source via optical digital input.

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #47,338 of 48,562
Is it going to have too much treble? It is, isn't it? :frowning2:

Have the 900 Pro X now - far from too much treble - its almost the opposite this time is seems - even the Tygr have a bit more treble energy from my testing so far. Enjoying them for music, a lot, but for gaming at the moment, they don't as open/wide soundstage wise so not sure I like them as much as the 990 for this purpose. They are easily driven by game console controllers though this time which is a plus.

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #47,339 of 48,562
Hey guys, i know this maybe silly, but i'm wondering about what is the proper way to do the head measurements for Waves Nx.

I mean like should i just leave the measurement tape slightly touch my ears, or press it against my head? This a little detail that leads to like 1 or 1.5 cm of difference, yeah it's small but maybe this is enough to alter my perception of sound direction and depth from the audio?

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #47,340 of 48,562
Hey guys, i know this maybe silly, but i'm wondering about what is the proper way to do the head measurements for Waves Nx.

I mean like should i just leave the measurement tape slightly touch my ears, or press it against my head? This a little detail that leads to like 1 or 1.5 cm of difference, yeah it's small but maybe this is enough to alter my perception of sound direction and depth from the audio?

Over your ears according to this. Also includes pics:

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-personalize-the-nx-3d-audio-apps

"Using an ordinary measuring tape, measure the full circumference of your head over the back of the head, ears and eyebrows."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back