Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 15, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #42,454 of 48,562
Do you guys think the g6 should have a feature that allows you to switch between a fixed or variable output for the line out port?

Yes. Did you post to that to r/SoundBlasterOfficial as a feature request? It's a good idea, hopefully u/Creative_Ryan will respond.

May 15, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #42,457 of 48,562
May 16, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #42,458 of 48,562
IF Audeze were to sell the cable separately we could use it to add mic capabilities to other headphones that use dual minixlr connector (Higher Beyerdynamic models, Kennertons, Empyrean) or even use mini xlr adapters to connect it to literally everything. We've had microphones that were used as replacement headphone cables before but we've never had one that was dual entry.

I'd buy them for my LCD2C if they were <$100. But I feel like in this market they could sell those easily for $200.

May 16, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #42,459 of 48,562
I have thoughts on this. First of all, this headset is going to be a ground loop nightmare for people. If you plug the headphones into your dac/amp, and the microphone into your motherboard, you are going to need a dac with galvanic isolation or you have to use optical.

"the LCD-GX is strictly analog – no digital processing – just for the real purist who wants the best possible sound"

I hate when people bring up purity. Games take place in a 3d environment and internally have object based audio. Playing them the "pure" way means converting that to stereo and losing a bunch of spatial information in the process. Digital processing, in the form of an hrtf setting, or virtual surround sound for headphones, allows you to replace that conversion with something better.

The GX will come with an audio/mic splitter, so you can use your amps without problem. The GX Audeze sent me for review didn't have one, but thankfully I had one laying around. I haven't been extensively testing the mic cable though, just the standard.

Also the GX is its own thing. They are not repurposed LCD2s or anything. They see their own design. No fazor, comes with single sided magnet, extreme efficiency. Lightweight for an LCD at 420g. The headband is perfection though and makes the weight feel inconsequential.

It sounds like an LCD, however. But with plenty of upper range, unlike the LCD2.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #42,460 of 48,562
You can fix the upper midrange dip of the LCD-2C with Velour pads. Also resolves a couple of more issues.

Looking forward to your GX review. I'm mostly curious what kind of soundstage performance (width, depth, imaging) the GX's brings to the table. I trust the tonality, decay because of the MX4 heritage and the lessons they learned from the Mobius.

May 18, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #42,462 of 48,562
Hopefully some of you audio experts can help me out here. I am looking for the best gaming headphones possible for under €200/€250. I am not looking for headphones that will allow me to hear the footsteps of people in FPS games. I want something that will create the most immersive experience possible when playing horror / fantasy games, such as resident evil. In addition, I would like something that emphasizes music quality when playing games with high quality soundtracks. To my knowledge there are 5 "rivals" in this price range, which are the ATH-AD1000x's, the Fidelio X2's, the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro-250's ,the K712 Pro, the Hifiman 400i . Are those the 5 that I should choose from? If so, can you guys help me choose one based on my preferences? The headphones will be hooked up to an Topping DX3 pro.

May 18, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #42,463 of 48,562
I have thoughts on this. First of all, this headset is going to be a ground loop nightmare for people. If you plug the headphones into your dac/amp, and the microphone into your motherboard, you are going to need a dac with galvanic isolation or you have to use optical.

"the LCD-GX is strictly analog – no digital processing – just for the real purist who wants the best possible sound"

I hate when people bring up purity. Games take place in a 3d environment and internally have object based audio. Playing them the "pure" way means converting that to stereo and losing a bunch of spatial information in the process. Digital processing, in the form of an hrtf setting, or virtual surround sound for headphones, allows you to replace that conversion with something better.

So would Creative Sound BlasterX G6 be the perfect match for Audeze LCD-GX (because the kinda galvanic isolation of USB and mic input)?

May 19, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #42,464 of 48,562
Finally got to try out Overwatch with Atmos today. It actually sounds pretty great and it is disappointing more games do not use this. Height in particular is actually noticeable, in addition to fairly accurate rear cues.

I only played around with it for about 20 minutes but it was enough to immediately hear it. Thumbs up. (To the one game that uses it.... :frowning2: )

May 20, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #42,465 of 48,562
Hahaha. Yeah, I mean, why is it so hard for companies to utilize spatial audio like that?

Then there is something like Hellblade, which has binaural tracks, but it's canned -pre-recorded effects, and not actual gameplay that is binaural. So the game itself is stereo, but the voices in her heasd are binaural. I waa hoping the whole game was binaural. So if you turn on virtual surround dsp, the game is corrected, but the voices in her head won't sound proper.

What a conundrum.

I guess for that game I'd play in stereo if only because of the novelty of haing binaural effects in a game. It ain't the first game to have it, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back