Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 24, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #42,346 of 48,562
Battlenonsense has a video about that.

Thanks found this video analysis of his for Overwatch with RealTek onboard audio in-game audio delay

Looks like a very common audio delay (from input activation to mesurable audio output) is c. 180-210 ms in many FPS 3D games with his setup, whether VSS is active OR not.

That is huge.

It would be interesting to find out, if this can be lowered at all with different sound cards. Clearly the in-game settings AND the soundpath (DirectSound) both appear to set a lower limit for the delay, below which it is probably impossible to get.

But even getting this down to 60ms would be a great feat.

Apr 24, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #42,347 of 48,562
Thanks found this video analysis of his for Overwatch with RealTek onboard audio in-game audio delay

Looks like a very common audio delay (from input activation to mesurable audio output) is c. 180-210 ms in many FPS 3D games with his setup, whether VSS is active OR not.

That is huge.

It would be interesting to find out, if this can be lowered at all with different sound cards. Clearly the in-game settings AND the soundpath (DirectSound) both appear to set a lower limit for the delay, below which it is probably impossible to get.

But even getting this down to 60ms would be a great feat.

When i use the x7 and enable and disable the sbx on it while watching youtube videos i obviously hear the echo that's added to a stereo source but ignoring that i also notice a delay with the sync between there mouths moving and what I'm hearing. it drives me insane (as does the echo on stereo sources!), this is the reason i game in plain stereo, i find my onyx blackjack usb interface is quite snappy but i struggle to notice a difference between that and the on-board sound delay wise i get a felling the usb card is slower, but that's probably a psychological thing more than a real thing, how could i test the difference?

if i wrote a program that takes the time then plays a file while monitoring a line in for a signal and when it detects it capture time and subtract one form another but there seems to be soooo much wrong with that, it would also depend on the capture devices latency in itself but using the same capture device and then taking the output from other cards would allow me to tell which is faster than the other but id still have no good idea as to how fast they actually are just which is faster than which. it seems a bit errr unscientific, this is an area I'm VERY interested in however!

if you use a usb connected sound card id assume the ports polling will play a factor too, mice (office grade ones) poll at 125hz(8ms delay) where as gaming grade ones poll like 1000hz (1ms delay) and some even up to 2000hz (0.5ms delay) i suppose the area of 1-10ms makes next to no noticeable difference? these mouse people "overclock" their ports to push them into that crazy 2000hz range, wonder if that would impact usb soundcards...

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #42,349 of 48,562
Same here. I don't think there's really anything to worry about in terms of audio delay with anything that ain't Bluetooth.

I'd be way more worried about display lag, which is WILDLY variable even on the same display.

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #42,350 of 48,562
I would get the HyperX version with better mic for $300.
I have the Mobius and for the most part I love it EXCEPT... and this is a almost a deal breaker for me. You either have to use it in USB mode or charge it every couple of hours. So for me since I have an X7 and use the headphone jack I have to charge the headphone and use like my Fidelio X2s while they are charging

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #42,351 of 48,562
It has a 10 hour battery life. How the hell are people running out of battery so quickly...

I definitely don't use headphones that long. Maybe 8 hours total a day on my days off, and that's for gaming. In Bluetooth, I'd likely use that even less. Well, for a full size headphone. I do use my PortaPro wireless every work day for over 6 hours.

I'd never approach anything close to 10 hours otherwise.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #42,353 of 48,562
Same here. I don't think there's really anything to worry about in terms of audio delay with anything that ain't Bluetooth.

I'd be way more worried about display lag, which is WILDLY variable even on the same display.

It is difficult to notice something, that the sensory system is accustomed to (i.e. when you don't have a baseline to compare to).

It is easy to get measurements for input lag, display lag and pixel response delay on most gaming monitors. Professionally done, along with variance. We know it is possible to get down to sub 5ms levels in displays.

In sound cards in fast paced 3D shooters, the measured latency has already been shown to be 200+ ms. This is 40 times as long delay. That is considerable. Especially when we know from sensory evaluation that sound can work as as a priming cue for vision (i.e. you hear the sounds first, then your gaze is directed and focused on that direction of the sound).

The problem is that we don't have professional measurements for variance of card-to-card differences in sound delay.

Claiming that you haven't heard it, or that is is nothing to worry about, doesn't make this issue go away NOR diminish the fact that it is measurably at least 40x as large as display lag (currently).

Apr 25, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #42,354 of 48,562
Interesting planar headphone. Could it give MLE both a deep earthshattering welcome and a bit of zingyness?

For 169 Dollars it hopefully turns out to be a bargain like a few other Takstar headphones.

HTB1.0q4QQvoK1RjSZFNq6AxMVXaj.jpg

HTB1TNu4QHrpK1RjSZTEq6AWAVXam.jpg

HTB1VNToQNjaK1RjSZKzq6xVwXXai.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...w-distortion-powerful/314156_32997885429.html

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #42,355 of 48,562
Apr 25, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #42,358 of 48,562
Apr 25, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #42,359 of 48,562
All I see from that graph is headache inducing highs.
Those graphs may not be compensated. Rawer graphs tend to be harder for me to read. Almost all raw graphs look too bright to me when they may be neutral to slightly south of neutral. I'm only making an assumption and they may be hella bright....

Though looks like the peak is at 10khz, which IMHO is not the worst area for peaks.

Apr 26, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #42,360 of 48,562
550g.... Holy smokes are they made out of a vehicle? That's probably the heaviest headphone I've seen yet.

But man the cloth pads look glorious. I want them just to have and swap around.

If anyone knows of they would sell the pads separately....I WANT THEM.

jpcsxe.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back