Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 8, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #42,256 of 48,562
Yeah, I'm glad Creative fixed all the major issues on the G6. It's a fine device, for sure.

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #42,257 of 48,562
Is the surround as good as the X7 now?

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #42,258 of 48,562
I don't have the X7 anymore so not sure, but I find it just fine overall. Enough to not drop the G6 for something else atm. DH is better, GSX is better, but it's not like I'm hurting for positional cues on the G6's version of SBX.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #42,259 of 48,562
Is the surround as good as the X7 now?
Hi,
The g6 now can have the surround set between 0 and 100 the same as the x7 (used to be 0 50 100 only) that is pretty cool. I will hook up the x7 again and compare later.
The g6 sounds smoother via its hp amp than the x7 which with very clean op amps let you hear how direct mode was much better than its built in dsp chip. The g6 feels more musical, suits ad700 k712 and hd800 better than x7. But if you just love revealing raw detail x7 beats g6.
The mic monitor on both has the surround mode applied to it which drives me insaine as does chat. This is why i dont game with it on often. If you use closed headsets and need monitor the g6 with updated firmware is a winner its like the gamedac,mixamp tr, tac, and 720 one. Its pretty much instant when it has no processing turned on, yay! The x7 delay is horrible in that regard.
After more gaming i realised open back is for me so i turned off mic monitor and am ready to retry the x7 and surround for a giggle and ill let you know, from memory they seemed simular but i think the flat sound signature difference between the two will play a big factor when trying to compare

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #42,260 of 48,562
I only need the dsp part if the g6, the amp/dac is of no interest to me. It's going to be plugged into yggdrasil anyway.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #42,261 of 48,562
I only need the dsp part if the g6, the amp/dac is of no interest to me. It's going to be plugged into yggdrasil anyway.
so,
if i optical out of the g6 and x7, but put them into the x7 optical in then in wondows record the optical in on it i should get a pretty consistent comparison between the two?

what would you want recorded? i can record the surround test in windows sound settings.

i can record 5.1 on g6 and x7, then 7.1 on g6 but x7 doesnt have that option.

is there any good reference benchmarks or games i could use?

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #42,262 of 48,562
so,
if i optical out of the g6 and x7, but put them into the x7 optical in then in wondows record the optical in on it i should get a pretty consistent comparison between the two?

what would you want recorded? i can record the surround test in windows sound settings.

i can record 5.1 on g6 and x7, then 7.1 on g6 but x7 doesnt have that option.

is there any good reference benchmarks or games i could use?
Video game footage. Something with good positional audio.

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #42,263 of 48,562
started recording the g6
upload_2019-4-9_7-40-12.png

this is the 7.1 on top and 5.1 on bottom with sbx on 100% on both, the 7.1 doesnt seem to change the surround channels data at all compared to 5.1 it just seems to add two more channels, kinda suggest enabling 7.1 just gives it extra to play with without messing with the other channels, so if you feed it 5.1 audio you will hear no difference between turing 5.1 or 7.1 on in the cards settings. only reason i can see to use 5.1 over 7.1 on this card is if you dislike the extra audio channels or feel that level of addional info is just not as pleasing.
the picture shows the end of the rear channel in 5.1 then the first extra surround channel on the 7.1 stream, below is the less zoomed full capture:
upload_2019-4-9_7-45-35.png

as you are intrested in g6 vs x7 i will focus on the 5.1 streams and compare the 100%,50%,11%(the default i got when i installed the new firmware) and also 0% sbx of the 5.1 stream (that order top to bottom on next screenshot:
upload_2019-4-9_7-50-52.png

the first two hits are the front left and front right hits, the bottom 0% shows them as hard paned zero echo effect, if i zoom in alot i can still see a stereo difference on the surround speakers on the 0% wave too suggesting there is an effect applied to them but VERY subtle, the higher the % of sbx the more pronounced the stereo bleed is.

attached are the sound files.
first number is level of sbx second number is channels eg:
10071= 100% sbx 7.1 audio
051= 0% sbx 5.1 audio

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-9_7-39-28.png
    upload_2019-4-9_7-39-28.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 0
  • g651.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • g671.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #42,264 of 48,562
there seems to be the same relationship with the x7, the higher the % the more crossover there is (100% on top, 50%= grey, 11%, 0%=grey bottom):
upload_2019-4-9_8-32-5.png

What is intresting is the comparison. i have added the sound clips for the above like before for the g6.

upload_2019-4-9_8-40-40.png

the g6 is on the top and x7 on the bottom, they look almost the same but the x7 appears to have a much hotter signal. i have no idea why this might be the case, they both outputting optical and im caputing optical too, both devices were set to 100% output for both tests too. odd but it gets odder! i will normalize this signal to see if the wave form is the same..., that did not work, the x7 seems to give a more pronounced bleed over, this visually shows they will not be percived in the same way by the listener. the really odd thing is the 0% behaviour, check this out!!!

upload_2019-4-9_8-45-14.png

g6 at the top and x7 at the bottom again, all looks simular for the front and center speakers, the bass and surround is hotter on the x7, this may make surround seem even more present? but look at the g6 surround when its set to 0, its like a surround crossfeed but the x7 presents it like its a hard pan downmix type signal! so g6 is like a no reverb surround on 0% where the x7 is downmix to hard setero on 0%

Attachments

• x751.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #42,265 of 48,562
TLDR: x7 g6 seem to use simular/same algorythim but the surround channels on the x7 seems to be a compromise between the side and rear found on the g6's 7.1 mode.

trying to record a overwatch match using windows game capture but on playback it doesnt sound like it did in game, seems stereo. i will try and install obs and see if i can get it working. the x7 does seem very apparent its surround sound!

i played one match of overwatch per video in bot match and i know i suck but it was to show surround in an actual game so you can settle in and see which plays out best

ok so i did x7 100% sbx:

g6 100% sbx in 5.1:

g6 100% sbx in 7.1:

windows sonic for headphones on g6:

windows atmos with 7.1 virtua on g6:

plain direct stereo on g6:

youtube video links to be added once uplaoded and cropped to remove all the waiting for a game bits...

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #42,266 of 48,562
done! hope it helps! sorry youtube took ages to crop them all!

errrr quite a few of them dont sound like what i remeber hearing when i was gaiming! god knows what i did wrong on this.

ahh so obs was capturing at 44khz and i was at 48khz, that sucks, ill re do x7 5.1 100% and g6 7.1 100% and re up

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #42,267 of 48,562
How do you guys setup G6 mic on PS4? Mine doesn't seem working on ingame chat. Adjust microphone level on PS4 works but no one hear me in game. I tried both modmic 4 and boompro. I googled but couldn't find any answer related to this issue.
Setting also seems reset once I plugged back on PS4. I can see the led light is changing back to default red. Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #42,268 of 48,562
How do you guys setup G6 mic on PS4? Mine doesn't seem working on ingame chat. Adjust microphone level on PS4 works but no one hear me in game. I tried both modmic 4 and boompro. I googled but couldn't find any answer related to this issue.
Setting also seems reset once I plugged back on PS4. I can see the led light is changing back to default red. Any help would be appreciated.
when you plug into the ps4 the light returns to red, it seems to enter some form of ps4 default mode that you cannont change, the mic will work always unless you enable direct mode, to check look at the right hand side when its on and plugged into the ps4, if the front light is flashing then its in direct mode, keep your finger on this button for like 5 seconds to disable it, i would also make sure you push it one more time to ensure its not got a constant white light on that button as thats the sneaky type mode that boosts the mids like crazy and makes ears want to cry. aside from that not sure what would be stopping it outside of the mute on the mic itself or the mic volume level is too low. to change the volume level of the mic in ps4 mode hold the volume button down for like 5 seconds until the volume light switches from white to red, then ramp up the volume, hold it again to return to master volume mode (white light) tapping the volume wheel in white mode will mute audo to headphones and tapping it in red mode will mute or unmute the mic monitor function. hope this helps!

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #42,269 of 48,562
Got my Magni 3 in today. FeelsGoodMan

Expect the Massdrop x Hifiman Edition XX review to be posted either today or tomorrow.

One thing I don't like about the G6. The volume level is the same whether you plug in a headphone or use the line out, so since I'm using the Magni, I have to set the volume to near max when using the line out, but if I wanna compare to the G6's headphone jack, I have to adjust the volume back down to low levels before connecting the headphone back to the G6. On the X7, it would auto switch and keep them separate.

In short, you can definitely blow your headphone drivers if you don't adjust the volume before plugging back in.

Also, I could swear I already did the updates for the G6. Why is the surround only 3 settings for me? Apparently it's like the X7 now and goes from 0-100? Not for me.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #42,270 of 48,562
when you plug into the ps4 the light returns to red, it seems to enter some form of ps4 default mode that you cannont change, the mic will work always unless you enable direct mode, to check look at the right hand side when its on and plugged into the ps4, if the front light is flashing then its in direct mode, keep your finger on this button for like 5 seconds to disable it, i would also make sure you push it one more time to ensure its not got a constant white light on that button as thats the sneaky type mode that boosts the mids like crazy and makes ears want to cry. aside from that not sure what would be stopping it outside of the mute on the mic itself or the mic volume level is too low. to change the volume level of the mic in ps4 mode hold the volume button down for like 5 seconds until the volume light switches from white to red, then ramp up the volume, hold it again to return to master volume mode (white light) tapping the volume wheel in white mode will mute audo to headphones and tapping it in red mode will mute or unmute the mic monitor function. hope this helps!

Thanks. That could be volume problem. My brother said he can see the volume icon next to my ign. I think scout mode is off, no light on the button.
There is no microphone light is on by the way. Only Dolby and headphone/speaker light is on. Is yours showing the light?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back