Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #42,211 of 48,562
I MAY BE wrong, though I'm gonna assume I'm correct based on my testing a few days ago:

Forst and foremost, update the drivers and software of the G6 to the latest versions which came out yesterday. This MAY have actually enabled multi-channel out through the spdif. It may have happened before, but do it to be safe.

If you wanna pass JUST 5.1/7.1 so that your external device reads the signal as multi channel audio (no processing), make sure you have the G6 software under setup on Spdif direct, and also, make sure bit and sampling rate is set to at the most 24bit/48khz. (this is changed within the windows audio panel itself i.e. clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar and going into those properties for the G6.)

The G6 is capable of 32 bit/and WELL ABOVE 48khz, but if you want multi channel audio, you must NOT go higher than 48khz, as that is the limit for 5 to 7 speakers. This is what you want if you just want your headset to do its OWN virtual surround. This is how I'm getting Dolby Headphone to work properly on my Mixamp 5.8 that is attached to the G6.

I'll try and re-test in the morning and re-edit this to be more correct, as I'm going off memory at the moment.

I see the Z906 is a speaker system, so you want the G6 to be in spdif direct mode. You do NOT want the G6's SBX VSS to be enabled on the G6 for the Z906. You just need it to send a straight 5.1/7.1 signal. Again, go to Windows audio panel, and set the bit depth/sampling rate to 24bit /48khz.

Please let me know how it turns out.

In the bolded statements above, I know you're referring to output over SPDIF-Direct. I just want to confirm, though, that when using the G6 and SBX, either with headphones directly connected to the G6, or the SBX mix being piped out via the line out, will 32bit/96kHz be ok to use with consoles/PC, or is 24bit/48kHz a better choice in those situations too?

Thanks.

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #42,212 of 48,562
In the bolded statements above, I know you're referring to output over SPDIF-Direct. I just want to confirm, though, that when using the G6 and SBX, either with headphones directly connected to the G6, or the SBX mix being piped out via the line out, will 32bit/96kHz be ok to use with consoles/PC, or is 24bit/48kHz a better choice in those situations too?

Thanks.

For some reason I thought that when you used 32bit, it wouldn't allow for 7 speaker configurations. That was my mistake. 32bit is fine. It was sampling rate than can limit the choice of how many speakers the G6 can output to, not the bit depth. I also made another error. 7 channels isn't limited to 48khz sampling rate. It is limited to 96khz. I apologize. This is why I said I may have been wrong, as I was going off memory and not at home to do the proper testing at the time. That being said, the G6 DOES go all the way up to 384khz in stereo. If the G6 is set to two speakers/stereo, the windows panel will pick up many more sampling rates (up to 384khz).

3450fw3.jpg

So when setting up the G6 for 7 speakers/SBX, do not go higher than 32/96khz.

Sigh, I'm not certain why the Mixamp can do virtual surround right when attached to the G6. I'm stumped or I'm hearing things. This is why I diodn't wanna state that the G6 did Dolby Digital through the spdif out as fact.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #42,213 of 48,562
I think I also got confused with the devices, as I know the Sennheiser GSX1000 is very limited in bit depth and sampling rate compared to the G6. I think it can only do 16/48 at max when using 7 speaker setting, but can do 24/96 when set to stereo.

Now to test other games with this questionable virtual surround coming off the Mixamp from the G6.

So I changed games, and headphones. it sounds like Dolby Headphone to me. So I dunno what to say. I don't think there will be many people that need Dolby Digital from the G6's spdif out, or plan on attaching another headphone virtual surround device to the G6 (since it's admittedly redundant), but there you have it. I can neither confirm nor deny whether the G6 is doing DD 5.1 through the optical out when set to spdif direct and the G6 is set to 7 speakers (SBX off, of course). My logic wants to say no. My ears are saying that MAYBE, due to the testing conclusion that the Mixamp is doing what sounds like Dolby Headphone to me).

I do vaguely remember testing this but with the G6 taking from a Dolby Digital encoded source through the spdif in, and it NOT passing Dolby Digital through the output. So it is weird that the USB would, if it does.

So testing the PS4 with its obvious Dolby Digital output, I can clearly hear the difference between the Mixamp getting DD directly vs getting a signal from the G6.

So in the case of the G6 getting a proper Dolby Digital signal through its optical in, no it absolutely does not pass that through, which leads me to believe I'm wrong about the USB as well, and my mind is playing tricks on me and Dolby Headphone really is that good even on an improper signal. I don't even know anymore. I would, if I had my Xonar U3 which is frustratingly missing.

In that case @meganeet I'm sorry but I don't think you'll be able to use the G6 in your case for your Z906 speaker setup.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #42,214 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy

ciukacz and I had a back and forth before where we wondered what the deal was with the 2.0 downmix on the g6. It turned out it was using a dolby prologic II downmix, so if you use it with a dpl II decoder, you can get back a 5.1 signal. And then you can use that surround sound for input to dolby headphone.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #42,215 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy

ciukacz and I had a back and forth before where we wondered what the deal was with the 2.0 downmix on the g6. It turned out it was using a dolby prologic II downmix, so if you use it with a dpl II decoder, you can get back a 5.1 signal. And then you can use that surround sound for input to dolby headphone.

Really? NO WONDER. I always thought the Pro Logic II mix turned into Dolby Headphone was actually not that bad. It's the only way the PS2 and Nintendo Wii were able to get virtual surround, and they sounded great. Not as good as a proper Dolby Digital to DH conversion, but good enough.

If this is true, then it's no wonder why I was fooled.

Thanks for giving me this possibility. Now I won't be going crazy.

That being said, that's such an odd decision to include that on the G6.

Edit: YES, I FOUND MY XONAR U3. Now I can use DH on my PC by sending that signal through the optical out to my Mixamp 5.8. I prefer DH over SBX, personally.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #42,216 of 48,562
I may be reading the last few pages completely wrong, so apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but I use the G6 with my PS4. I've been using 7.1 and Audio Effects.

Should I switch to SPDIF-Out Direct?

Just want to double check and make sure I'm getting the best possible setup.

I do like the G6, but X7 seemed a lot more straight forward than this.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #42,217 of 48,562
The spdif out is for when you wanna use another DAC or home theater receiver. It doesn't affect you otherwise, and you'll not wanna do that if you're actually using the G6. I was doing it because I was using another dac/amp with its own technologies.

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #42,218 of 48,562
I was playing the original 1993 doom with the qzdoom source port. I was surprised to find that it had surround sound. It is absolutely surreal to play a game this old with great positional audio.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #42,219 of 48,562
Because i am interesting to buy the dt990 pro for gaming does anyone have these headphones for to tell me his experiences in gaming?

how the dt990 pro are hearing in gaming?

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION FOR DT990 Pro? is it worth to buy for gaming and music?

what rate you would put for the music which i hear? trance, house, psy trance, techno, deep house, chill out,, drumerbase,, uplifting trance?.. techno trance, electro,dubstep, trap,hardstyle?

what rate you would put for 0 to 10?

HOW MUCH YOU WOULD RATE THE DT990 PRO FOR gaming ?_

look because i am playing different genres in gaming like

Action games Action-adventure games Adventure games Role-playing games Simulation games Strategy games Sports games Puzzle games Idle games

Shooter

Fighting

Survival

] Action-Adventure Games

MMORPG

I MEAN in all these genres of game which i am playing will the dt990 pro will be very good?/

HyperX Cloud Alpha

HyperX Cloud II

HyperX Cloud Flight

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

Sennheiser HD 58X

Samson SR850

CoolerMaster MH751

HyperX Cloud Flight,,

Sennheiser G4ME OnLogitech G933 Artemis Spectrume, Corsair VOID Pro RGB Wireless Carbon,,

Creative Sound Blasterx H7 Tournament,, SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC??

Asus ROG Strix Wireless Gaming Headset??and etc?

Razer Nari Ultimate

Audeze Mobius Copper all these gaming headphones are better from dt990 pro in gaming my friend>?

what rate you put for dt990 pro for gaming like details,, bass,, soundstage, Sound:,,Bass:,,Mids:,Treble:,Positioning:,Clarity:?? and etc?

from 0-10 for the gaming? in dt990 prO?

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #42,221 of 48,562
Really? NO WONDER. I always thought the Pro Logic II mix turned into Dolby Headphone was actually not that bad. It's the only way the PS2 and Nintendo Wii were able to get virtual surround, and they sounded great. Not as good as a proper Dolby Digital to DH conversion, but good enough.

If this is true, then it's no wonder why I was fooled.

Thanks for giving me this possibility. Now I won't be going crazy.

That being said, that's such an odd decision to include that on the G6.

Edit: YES, I FOUND MY XONAR U3. Now I can use DH on my PC by sending that signal through the optical out to my Mixamp 5.8. I prefer DH over SBX, personally.

thanks for trying to figure everything, it's driving me nuts too lol
however, if it is indeed Pro Logic II, how would G6 have an option to send a 7.1 mix over the spdif? because i thought Pro Logic II can only do 5.1 channels? and Pro Logic IIx is only a decoder and not an encoder (pls correct me if i'm wrong)
and is there a possibility that spdif direct simply sends a unaltered 2 channel PCM signal? since dolby headphone can also decode 2 channel signal
another question about the term "audio effects" that G6 uses in the software, is it only referring to the EQ and misc settings, or does it actually include the VSS processing as well? the reason for this question is it sounds to me to get the assumed Pro Logic II encode to work, maybe we have to select audio effects option instead of spdif direct?
i just wish creative had better documentations for this instead of so much trial and error from us

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #42,222 of 48,562
Well usually the 7 channel output is just 5 channels with 2 'virtual channels' created from the mixture of the other speakers. This is why there really isn't much of a difference between 5 channels and 7 channels in terms of virtual surround. You are correct in that spdif out technically does not do 7 channels.

I don't think it's unaltered 2 channel PCM through the spdif direct' option because I was definitely getting some Dolby Headphone levels of virtual surround from my headphones. That can only happen if the Mixamp receives Dolby Digital or Pro Logic II. If not, it would all sound like extended and reverb enhanced stereo.

The term audio effects in the G6 software simply means that using that mode will keep all the enhanced sound settings that the G6 uses, like EQ, SBX, Crystallizer, etc. Just remember that even in Audio Effects mode, all those things can simply be turned off.

Direct = analog out with no effects applied for say, attaching another amplifier or powered speakers.

Spdif direct = same thing as the normal direct but for a digital signal like to another dac or receiver.

You can basically get the audio effect option to sound unaltered like the direct option by just tunring off all the enhancements in the G6 software. No eq, no SBX, etc.

Spdif direct would carry Pro Logic II because it's not using the G6 'effects'. It's simply carrying a multi channel encoding in the form of Pro Logic II (if it indeed is PLII, which I think it is).

If I ever get in contact with Creative again, I'll ask them directly whether the spdif out is capable of DPLII, DD, etc. Though usually my very technical questions are outside the scope of my contact's knowledge.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #42,223 of 48,562
You know how we would know whether the G6 does PLII or not through the spdif out?

victor-su-dh1.jpg

The rare and elusive Victor SU-DH1. I forgot if it lights up when it picks up the signal, or if it's an option. Been a very long time since I was loaned one.

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #42,224 of 48,562
You know how we would know whether the G6 does PLII or not through the spdif out?

The rare and elusive Victor SU-DH1. I forgot if it lights up when it picks up the signal, or if it's an option. Been a very long time since I was loaned one.

that would be brilliant if we could get a definitive answer

but another curiosity is if G6 really is using Pro Logic II encoding, why didn't they simply go with Dolby Digital Live?
Is it because G6 also has analog line out, so Pro Logic II can possibly pass a encoded 5.1 signal through analog for another device for decoding, whereas Dolby Digital 5.1 can only be passed through SPDIF?

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #42,225 of 48,562
That could be the reason. I wouldn't doubt the possibility. PLII can pass through both analog and digital, while DD can't. Another good point I hadn't considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back