Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #41,837 of 48,562
Thx for the reply. Yes I'm gaming on PC and m graphic card just died and now I'm upgrading whole thing.

CPU: i5 4670K
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Graphic card: Sapphire RX 580
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Power: XFX PRO 650W XXX Edition

This is my current build. Still waiting for my graphic card to come (day or two). In near future i'm also upgrading my board and than RAMs, CPU and so on. But for now only graphic card (bought also freesync monitor) and sound (headphones, amp).

Senheiser 599 cost me 110€ and K701 are around 120-130. No difference here, just need to know which are more suitable.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #41,838 of 48,562
Thx for the reply. Yes I'm gaming on PC and my graphic card just died and now I'm upgrading whole thing.
CPU: i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
This is my current build. Still waiting for my graphic card to come (day or two). In near future I'm also upgrading my board and than RAMs, CPU and so on. But for now only graphic card (bought also freesync monitor) and sound (headphones, amp).
Sennheiser 599 cost me 110€ and K701 are around 120-130. No difference here, just need to know which are more suitable.

Your current motherboard comes with Creative Labs Cinema software (comes with headphone surround sound) and a built in headphone amplifier, so whatever headphone you get could be plugged directly into the motherboard's on-board audio, for FPS gaming.
Maybe hold off buy an add-on sound card or external DAC/amp, until after you have bought a new motherboard.
Some newer motherboards are coming with a built in DAC chip (and hopefully a decent built in head amp) and decent headphone surround sound software.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #41,839 of 48,562
Been using an internal DAC for years so thought of getting an external one. Is Sound Blaster G6 the way to go? Heard alot of praises for it. GSX1000 ive tested once and felt music felt really flat on this one.

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #41,840 of 48,562
The GSX1000 makes a better gaming amp with its gsx surround than simply a music one. I still would say that it's my fave due to how amazing gsx surround is to me. If you can live with the less surround and want better for music, then I guess the G6 is a better buy. It's really hard choosing between them as standalones. But if you wanna use them for external stuff, the G6 is a better option.

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #41,841 of 48,562
I sold off my X6 and nowadays am just fine with the G6.

I use the G6 sending an optical signal to my Mixamp 5.8. Zero issues. Beforte anyone asks, it's because the Mixamp 5.8 can't do virtual surround for my PC, which is my main use, so I just have the G6 send SBX surround to y 5.8 (Dolby Headphone button off, obviously as SBX is already doing surround).

Can I ask:

- Why did you sell your SoundBlaster X7?
- How/Why do you like the SoundBlasterX G6 better than X7?
- If you could have Sennheiser GSX1000/GSX1200 with digital output with the 3D virtualization OR incl. with a beefier headphone amp, would this be your choice over the SoundBlasterX G6 for gaming?

I'm still on X7 with my favourite closed headphones, Audeze Mobius still unopened in box and thinking which route to go. Once I settle, I don't like to tinker and change the system every day (not enough time for that).

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #41,842 of 48,562
The X7 had driver fixes waaaaaay after release. Remember NOT having SBX being piped through the optical and analog out? I sure do. They added that way down the line. They certainly didn't have to. No one else does that. Creative did. That wasn't a feature that was there for likely the first 1-2 years.

So to say they don't listen to the community, I don't believe that, because it was the community that begged for things like that.

No small amount due to the work you're doing (and Namless or EVShrug? I think it was) on here letting them know what we should be expecting.

I doubt without this thread there would have been something that came to their attention to actually implement - credit to them for doing it, but also to you for bringing it to their attention.

- Why did you sell your SoundBlaster X7?

- If you could have Sennheiser GSX1000/GSX1200 with digital output with the 3D virtualization OR incl. with a beefier headphone amp, would this be your choice over the SoundBlasterX G6 for gaming?

I'm still on X7 with my favourite closed headphones, Audeze Mobius still unopened in box and thinking which route to go. Once I settle, I don't like to tinker and change the system every day (not enough time for that).

Not MLE, but my opinion:

MLE sold because he's moved away from gaming etc and was overkill for his setup?

GSX1000 (for me) is the best VSS solution I've found for headphones - bar none (as far as the VSS goes - isn't the most powerful, just works the best to my head/ears)

X7 is definitely my daily though - suits my setup perfectly - speakers, headphones, excellent dac and amp. It's not the best any any of the options, but is the only one that does EVERYTHING really, really well.

Mobius it a totally different thing though (at least to me) - the head tracking gives me 100% VSS compared to maybe 75% at best on other methods.

The Mobius though, is still just in occasional use - my PC station is used for so much more and I have other sets of cans so that the X7 is the goto.

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #41,843 of 48,562
Hello guys, im new here and just logged in to ask this question.

I read about MLE's reviews about gaming amps & headphones.

Im using the asus xonar u3 usb sound card with ad700x for a few months now.
I use dolby headphone feature and its statisfying generally for music and general gaming stuff for fps games though its another story.

I'm not quite pleased with its directional audio performance. So I read in MLE's review he compared u3 with amps like gsx 1000 and g6, now, im interested in positional accuracy the most because i like competitive playing.

Im wondering if the upgrade to gsx 1000 or g6 (i lean towards gsx because the general comments say its better for gaming with vss) will be worth it since im living in a 3rd world country and this stuff is quite expensive here :D I wanted to ask and know you guys opinions, should i continue on with my u3 or get one of these for gaming. Btw thank you for this informative guide.

Cheers.

@raband lol thanks :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #41,844 of 48,562

I use dolby headphone feature and its statisfying generally for music and general gaming stuff for fps games though its another story.

I'm not quite pleased with its directional audio performance. So I read in MLE's review he compared u3 with amps like gsx 1000 and g6, now, im interested in positional accuracy the most because i like competitive playing.

Im wondering if the upgrade to gsx 1000 or g6 (i lean towards gsx because the general comments say its better for gaming with vss) will be worth it since im living in a 3rd world country and this stuff is quite expensive here :D I wanted to ask and know you guys opinions, should i continue on with my u3 or get one of these for gaming. Btw thank you for this informative guide. Cheers.

Im wondering if the upgrade to gsx 1000 or g6 (i lean towards gsx because the general comments say its better for gaming with vss) will be worth it since im living in a 3rd world country and this stuff is quite expensive here :D I wanted to ask and know you guys opinions, should i continue on with my u3 or get one of these for gaming. Btw thank you for this informative guide.

Cheers.

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #41,845 of 48,562
Creative SX-Fi for TV, home theater and PS4 estimated launch 3rd qtr!

“During a brief meeting with Mr Sim at CES 2019, The Straits Times was shown a prototype of a Super X-Fi media box, called Sxfi TV. This media box has two HDMI ports - one input and one output - and four USB ports.

Users will need a pair of new Super X-Fi headphones - called Sxfi Theatre. It looks similar to the Sxfi Air, but is not Bluetooth-enabled. Instead, it comes with its own USB wireless dongle known as Sxfi Transmitter.

The user's Super X-Fi profile will be stored on the Sxfi Transmitter. When the Sxfi Transmitter is plugged into the Sxfi TV, users can enjoy 3D sound on the Sxfi Theatre, regardless of the input source, whether it is from a PS4, Blu-ray player or Apple TV. As such, up to four can enjoy 3D sound right at their homes with the Sxfi TV.

The Sxfi TV, Sxfi Theatre and Sxfi Transmitter are expected to launch during third quarter of this year. Pricing is yet to be confirmed.”

https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/w...ve-shows-off-more-of-its-super-x-fi-offerings

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #41,846 of 48,562
Hello guys

I need really serious advice

I have Denon D600 with Asus STX II soundcard (Dolby Headphone option enabled)

I’m really satisfied with this combo, very comfort headphones with big soundstage and rich bass, great soundcard, but I just want something more, like an upgraded D600, headphones which will be better than D600 in every aspect (not worse at least)

First step is new headphones, second is external DAC. This post is about first step

May be I should create new topic but I decided to post here

So here is my specific needs:

Headphones type: Closed over-ear

Usage and needs:

60% first person shooter gaming -> Big/wide soundstage and very accurate sound positioning

30% music (generally hip-hop mp3 320kb/s) -> Rich bass

10% movies, youtube, etc. -> Max comfort wearing like my D600 which I can wear for 6-8 hours without any discomfort

Price limit: 1000$

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #41,847 of 48,562
Hello guys

I need really serious advice

I have Denon D600 with Asus STX II soundcard (Dolby Headphone option enabled)

I’m really satisfied with this combo, very comfort headphones with big soundstage and rich bass, great soundcard, but I just want something more, like an upgraded D600, headphones which will be better than D600 in every aspect (not worse at least)

First step is new headphones, second is external DAC. This post is about first step

May be I should create new topic but I decided to post here

So here is my specific needs:

Headphones type: Closed over-ear

Usage and needs:

60% first person shooter gaming -> Big/wide soundstage and very accurate sound positioning

30% music (generally hip-hop mp3 320kb/s) -> Rich bass

10% movies, youtube, etc. -> Max comfort wearing like my D600 which I can wear for 6-8 hours without any discomfort

Price limit: 1000$

In my opinion there is no matter what kind of headphones/dac u get for mp3 =)

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #41,848 of 48,562
Hello guys! I need some help of you guys.
So, for gaming, my corrent setup is gsx1000, shp9500s and v-moda boom pro.
I think is time to step up the headphones. What do you guys recomend?
I was looking to gsp 500/600 or AKG712 or hd5xx jubilee or hd6xx...
Do you guys recomend any of those or anything diferent?

Thanks

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #41,849 of 48,562
Hello guys! I need some help of you guys.
So, for gaming, my corrent setup is gsx1000, shp9500s and v-moda boom pro.
I think is time to step up the headphones. What do you guys recomend?
I was looking to gsp 500/600 or AKG712 or hd5xx jubilee or hd6xx...
Do you guys recomend any of those or anything diferent?

Thanks
Stick with the shp9500. The only headphones I consider to be an upgrade are the focal elex but those are $700 on massdrop.

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #41,850 of 48,562
Stick with the shp9500. The only headphones I consider to be an upgrade are the focal elex but those are $700 on massdrop.

I'd echo this - I have the SHP9500, 58x and K712Pro. I prefer the SHP over the 58x for Gaming and while the 712Pro is an improvement - I'm not convinced the additional cost is justified. Music listening is a different answer though :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back