Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #40,591 of 48,562
I miss the Mixamp a lot.

It was my first real dedicated and "knowledgeable" foray into VSS (after the Tritton abortion)

I got it and the 598's at the same time(ish)

Made the mistake of thinking "this is awesome"

"wow - lets make it better"

Was at the same time NwAvGuy was designing his stuff

Ended up with the HD650's (they must be better than the 598's) and an O2Odac because it needed to be driven.

I think I had the HD650's hooked up to the O2, hooked up to the MixAmp hooked up to the PC, using the Soundblaster motherboard drivers effects or something.

Optical from the PC => MixAmp => 3.5mm => RCA to the O2 => HD650's, Modmic => MixAmp => USB => PC (mixamp was usb for mic, not noise)

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #40,592 of 48,562
I think the mixamp was more for console gaming, because it really needed a dolby digital source iirc. I think the spirit of the mixamp is alive today for pc in the gsx 1000, in that it is pretty simple hardware solution to set up. I still use an old asus xonar dgx, configured to output dolby headphone over optical. I really like it, but it is awkward to recommend, since it's so old, and process of setting it up is kinda complicated, since it involves configuring through a driver panel rather than pressing buttons on an external thing.

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #40,593 of 48,562
I think the mixamp was more for console gaming, because it really needed a dolby digital source iirc. I think the spirit of the mixamp is alive today for pc in the gsx 1000, in that it is pretty simple hardware solution to set up. I still use an old asus xonar dgx, configured to output dolby headphone over optical. I really like it, but it is awkward to recommend, since it's so old, and process of setting it up is kinda complicated, since it involves configuring through a driver panel rather than pressing buttons on an external thing.
and it's a pcie device which makes it unsuitable for laptops and mini itx pcs.

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #40,594 of 48,562
and it's a pcie device which makes it unsuitable for laptops and mini itx pcs.

That's true, but idk if that's a huge deal, since I think gaming on mid towers is very popular. But on the other side of things, having to use optical is a pain. That means you can't use some great budget dacs like the topping d10 and jds labs ol dac usb edition, and you can't make use of the super low jitter usb inputs on higher end dacs like the smsl m8a and topping d50.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #40,597 of 48,562
i have one question with my soundblaster ae-5 and akg 712 pro can i have surround sound ?
Yes, the software has SBX surround which is Creative's virtual surround. You must make 100% sure that you go to your sound devicee settings, and configure your AE-5 in Windows to 7.1 speakers, even if you don't have speakers. If you don't do that, you won't get proper surround.

The software has Surround slider that needs to be turned on as well, I recommend all the way to 100%. Also, when NOT gaming, I recommend turning that surround button off. I do hope the manual tells you this.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #40,598 of 48,562
That's true, but idk if that's a huge deal, since I think gaming on mid towers is very popular. But on the other side of things, having to use optical is a pain. That means you can't use some great budget dacs like the topping d10 and jds labs ol dac usb edition, and you can't make use of the super low jitter usb inputs on higher end dacs like the smsl m8a and topping d50.
Well, I have two pcs in front of me right now, a laptop and a mini-itx pc so using control group of one we can say that it's 100% percent useless. In all seriousness though, pcie interface is a huge limiting factor.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #40,599 of 48,562
Jul 27, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #40,600 of 48,562
thanks for the help

also i played alot of games with akg 712 pro and sounblaster ae-5 and this akg 712 pro are amazing guys

cant compare with gaming headphones

with akg 712 you can every detail in the games.

i have one last question because i want to buy one modmic for my akg 712 pro and the use of modic will be for GAMES,, CHATS SKYPE,., FACEBOOK,, DISCHORD,, CHATING AND MORE STUFF

which modmic to buy?>?
MODMIC 4 or MODMIC ,, BUSINESS ??
which from these 2 are the best?
also i have mechanical keyboard./.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #40,603 of 48,562
i have one last question because i want to buy one modmic for my akg 712 pro and the use of modic will be for GAMES,, CHATS SKYPE,., FACEBOOK,, DISCHORD,, CHATING AND MORE STUFF

which modmic to buy?>?
MODMIC 4 or MODMIC ,, BUSINESS ??
which from these 2 are the best?
also i have mechanical keyboard./.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #40,605 of 48,562
MixAmp (3rd gen) makes the most sense on consoles IMHO, there are way too many other viable options on PC. Also, the inability to use it on both Console and PC simultaneously makes it less versatile.

To use the Astro PC app to control the Mixamp you have to disconnect the USB from the console and connect it to the PC.

My solution for this annoyance is a USB Switch, with the press of a button I can switch between xbox and PC.

The main benefit of the MixAmp Pro TR (for me) when using it with an Xbox Console is that it supports chat over USB, which means no wires to the chat port on the controller!

But apart from that it's DAC and sound is not that impressive as a general sound device, i do however find the MixAmp built quite well, the knobs have some heft to them and feels nice. (considering it's only around 150usd)

COD games have in general quite a poor sound design. Compared to DICE they don't hold a candle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back