Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 19, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #39,736 of 48,562
Shame Sennheiser is limiting the GSX to PC only. I find their VSS miles ahead of Dolby headphone or DTS headphone X.

I would love a GSX for consoles along with the GSP600. I know I can just plug the Sennheisers in to the 3.5 jack but that would be a disgrace :)

Only competition they would have is Astro (which dropped the ball in quality recently) and Turtle Beach (never considered them to be quality). Yes, soundblaster’s x7, g5 etc work with consoles but I think Sennheiser has money waiting in the console game and would easily became leaders (although their stuff is pricey).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #39,737 of 48,562
Shame Sennheiser is limiting the GSX to PC only. I find their VSS miles ahead of Dolby headphone or DTS headphone X.

I would love a GSX for consoles along with the GSP600. I know I can just plug the Sennheisers in to the 3.5 jack but that would be a disgrace :)

Only competition they would have is Astro (which dropped the ball in quality recently) and Turtle Beach (never considered them to be quality). Yes, soundblaster’s x7, g5 etc work with consoles but I think Sennheiser has money waiting in the console game and would easily became leaders (although their stuff is pricey).
Yesterday I played Medal of Honor single player for the first time on W10 I think. First I tried Sonic for Windows, then Atmos via GSX1000 set to Stereo. Especially the voice over with the virtual team mates was hardly listenable to much reverb I think. Then switch to GSX1000 W10 set to 7.1 GSX set to 7.1, wow, so much better, so much clearer. Much better localisation of enemies. All with the GSP600 on btw.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #39,739 of 48,562
Yesterday I played Medal of Honor single player for the first time on W10 I think. First I tried Sonic for Windows, then Atmos via GSX1000 set to Stereo. Especially the voice over with the virtual team mates was hardly listenable to much reverb I think. Then switch to GSX1000 W10 set to 7.1 GSX set to 7.1, wow, so much better, so much clearer. Much better localisation of enemies. All with the GSP600 on btw.

Which of these do you suppose is better?
beyerdynamic MMX 300 2ND GEN.
Sennheiser GSP 600

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #39,740 of 48,562
Which of these do you suppose is better?
beyerdynamic MMX 300 2ND GEN.
Sennheiser GSP 600
Sorry, I do not own the MMX. But I have some Beyerdynamic cans, so I think that the MMX is also a very good choice. As my earlobes are quite large, I prefer oval shaped earpieces/earpads. The round design of the Beyers are a bit problematic for longer listening sessions for me. So comfort wise I prefer the Sennheisers. And I love that swiveling the mic arm up mutes the mic. That is very handy at times.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #39,742 of 48,562
My Focals arrived yesterday. I don't expect impressive gaming performance but boy, do they sound lovely. I'm a proper audiophool now.

Attachments

• focal.jpg
    focal.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 28, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #39,743 of 48,562
Nice. What did you gain overall in comparison to what you used before? Do a mini review Yesl

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #39,744 of 48,562
Nice. What did you gain overall in comparison to what you used before? Do a mini review Yesl
Compared to Shure SRH1840 that I used previously:
  • More bass (Shures were rather bass light, these are very neutral sounding)
  • Less brightness (especially appearent on the vocals)
  • More detail, separation and dynamics (not quite the Utopia level but pretty close)
  • Smaller soundstage (Shure had a very impressive soundstage, those are just decent)
  • Better comfort (Shure had this very thin headband that was uncomfortable to use for bald people, this didn't bother me back when I bought them since I had long hair back then but since I started shaving my head they got quite tiresome to use)
  • Great set of accessories (hard case, short minijack cable, long regular jack and long XLR)
If you're looking for an endgame set of headphones and are not bothered by average-sized soundstage totally go for them. And if you consider buying Elears, save up some more and buy Clears instead, the additional $500 is worth it.
I don't think I'll ever need to upgrade from these.
Although I do remember saying the same thing about Shures so who knows.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #39,745 of 48,562
Compared to Shure SRH1840 that I used previously:
  • More bass (Shures were rather bass light, these are very neutral sounding)
  • Less brightness (especially appearent on the vocals)
  • More detail, separation and dynamics (not quite the Utopia level but pretty close)
  • Smaller soundstage (Shure had a very impressive soundstage, those are just decent)
  • Better comfort (Shure had this very thin headband that was uncomfortable to use for bald people, this didn't bother me back when I bought them since I had long hair back then but since I started shaving my head they got quite tiresome to use)
  • Great set of accessories (hard case, short minijack cable, long regular jack and long XLR)
If you're looking for an endgame set of headphones and are not bothered by average-sized soundstage totally go for them. And if you consider buying Elears, save up some more and buy Clears instead, the additional $500 is worth it.
I don't think I'll ever need to upgrade from these.
Although I do remember saying the same thing about Shures so who knows.

Just had an impressive gaming session with @Fegefeuer . We did some Wildlands together. Me using the brandnew Sennheiser GSP 1000 and the GTX 1000 set to 7.1. The GSP 600 is the best sounding and most comfortable headphone for gaming that I came across so far. Especially the earpads help that the headset disappears after some time, you just forget that you wear it. Voice over and sound whoring is fantastic.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #39,747 of 48,562
Mar 1, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #39,748 of 48,562
Just had a reply on twitter from Sennheiser in regards to bringing their GSX series to consoles (probably means nothing):

Hi there,
so I talked to one of our Product Managers.
The thing is yes, we are working on it, but it's currently not a priority.
the problem is though that the PS4 does not allow 7.1 over USB (and it does not do 7.1 in general only 5.1) you would need an optical input to achieve that which makes things quiet a bit more complicated.
I hope this generally answers your question a bit more in detail.
Best,
Monika

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #39,749 of 48,562
Just had a reply on twitter from Sennheiser in regards to bringing their GSX series to consoles (probably means nothing):

Hi there,
so I talked to one of our Product Managers.
The thing is yes, we are working on it, but it's currently not a priority.
the problem is though that the PS4 does not allow 7.1 over USB (and it does not do 7.1 in general only 5.1) you would need an optical input to achieve that which makes things quiet a bit more complicated.
I hope this generally answers your question a bit more in detail.
Best,
Monika
It does do 7.1 over hdmi which would be preferred input over optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back