Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 10, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #39,256 of 48,562
Welcome back MLE! Love you reviews, you definitely have a way with words making purchasing easier.

For anyone:

I had a pair of Fidelio X1's that I dearly loved for a few years now. The pads ripped and I don't seem to have any way to get another pair, or any pair that fits for that matter. I've got a limited choice of headphones in my country and have narrowed it down to the Fidelio X2 or the AKG 712 pro. Looking for a fun, good bass, musical but somewhat accurate gaming, super comfy (wear these nearly 10 hours a day) set and just can't pick between these.

Any advice? The x2 is more expensive than the 712 for me by 100$ so if the x2 is just an upgraded better x1 I may just go for it.
I know there was some controversy with the ear pads and glue issues on the X2 I don't know if that's been rectified or if it was just blown out of proportion but all I've ever heard about the X2s are that they are really amazing and better than the X1s. Somebody with a little more experience than me might have better information

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #39,257 of 48,562
Im sure its been done to death but Looking for a multipurpose set of cans for music and gaming with a wide variety of genres.

Something with ease of use and hence low powered for plug and play with a variety of peripherals (phone, laptop, desktop and ps4)

thinking open back for the soundstage/imaging and something good across the board.

heres a list Id like to update with suggestions:

Open-back:
•AKG K712 Pro, K702, K701, K612 Pro, Q701
•Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, ATH-AD700x, ATH-AD500x
•Beyerdynamic DT990, DT880
•HiFiMAN HE400i
•Monoprice Monolith M1060
•Philips Fidelio X2 (X2/27, HR), SHP9500(S)
•Sennheiser HD598 (SE, SR), HD558
•Status Audio OB-1
•Superlux HD681, HD681 EVO, HD668B

Closed-back:
•AKG K550, K52
•Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
•Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus, DT770
•Status Audio CB-1
•Superlux HD669, HD662, HD662 EVO
•V-MODA Crossfade M-100

but narrowed to these open, dynamic, easy to power models that seem to be the pick of the bunch:

below $100:
•HD681 EVO
•Philips SHP9500
•OB-1

above $100:
•ATH-AD900x
•Philips X2
•DT990
•Sennheiser HD598 or 599

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #39,258 of 48,562
I had a pair of Fidelio X1's that I dearly loved for a few years now. The pads ripped and I don't seem to have any way to get another pair, or any pair that fits for that matter. I've got a limited choice of headphones in my country and have narrowed it down to the Fidelio X2 or the AKG 712 pro.
Looking for a fun, good bass, musical but somewhat accurate gaming, super comfy (wear these nearly 10 hours a day) set and just can't pick between these.

Any advice? The x2 is more expensive than the 712 for me by 100$ so if the x2 is just an upgraded better x1 I may just go for it.
Haven't had chance for longer testing, but 7xx AKGs definitely have very light feel which is never bad thing for comfort.
Also without bumps in headband there isn't that reservation.
K712's frequency response is rather similar to Fidelio and Beyerdynamic DT990 (I'm using) so it should give very good balance between having above neutral strength in bass without it starting to drown everything else.

Other aspect to consider is that as bigger more commonly sold maker you're likely to have far easier time in finding new pads for AKG than Philips...
Because eventually you'll need to replace them again, and ear pads are obviously cheaper than whole new cans.
After all we gamers sure have enough things to spend money frequently in updating PC, without also swapping things which don't get technically obsolete.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #39,259 of 48,562
Im sure its been done to death but Looking for a multipurpose set of cans for music and gaming with a wide variety of genres.

Something with ease of use and hence low powered for plug and play with a variety of peripherals (phone, laptop, desktop and ps4)

above $100:
•ATH-AD900x
•Philips X2
•DT990
•Sennheiser HD598 or 599
You have two very different type cans in that list:

AD900x and HD598/9 are very neutral bass type headphones.
Which is needed for the highest level of "competitiveness" in hearing foot steps and such.
But that also cripples "fun factor"/immersion rather badly with grenades etc not sounding of much anything.
(before DT990 had HD595... with bad experience from durability of that fashion design)

DT990 and Fidelio again have clearly above neutral bass, but without it starting to drown everything else...
Unlike in cheap (especially closed) gaming junks.
That drops competitiveness one notch down, but gives vastly better overall balance with good "fun factor"/immersion.
As for mobile use with low impedance Fidelio would be easier for low operating voltage devices, assuming noise floor of source is low.
(high sensitivity, low impedance cans are very sensitive to noise/interference)
Standard integrated Realtek chips of PCs easily drive 250 ohm DT990 far to hearing dangerous volumes.
But some weaker smart(/toy)phone output might have problems with higher dynamic range content. (32 ohm DT990 would behave similar to Fidelio)
Also for some music you might want to tone down 8kHz band in equalizer for DT990.
In games/movies that treble isn't much of problem.

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #39,261 of 48,562
Hey I’m brand new to this thread and I’ve read thru a good 300 pages from back to front after reading the first page thoroughly, I game competitively on Xbox one in rainbow6 currently just using hd598 with a dss2 is there anyone that can give me tips on better synergy amp+dac for the hd598 or better cans for the game in general with a recommended setup, budget around $1000. Was also wondering if anyone uses Dolby atmos or window sonic for rainbow6 and which one is a better option and just overallthrow some knowledge my way, thank you.

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #39,262 of 48,562
You have two very different type cans in that list:
Yes as Im not sure which to go with as an across the board pair for music, media and competitive gaming. I will definitely go low powered for my first cans but if anyone has any more recommendations that would be great.

That info does help Im thinking more annalytical rather than fun for the competitive edge.

Nov 11, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #39,263 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy - That first post was a solid effort to clean up. So many broken calls and tags from the site transition. You should be able to edit it again.

I'm thinking that's got to be the single longest post on the site. I need a mini-vacation after that.

pnznkqgsrgw4tx0qdpxr.jpg

I'll go ahead and edit that post then. What would I do without you?

edit: So was able to add to the first page. I noticed you took away my underlines and stuff. :'( But a necessary sacrifice. Lol. Thanks again, m8.

was able to add Evs and Sennheiser's GAME ONE contribution to the special thanks section as well.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #39,264 of 48,562
Hey I’m brand new to this thread and I’ve read thru a good 300 pages from back to front after reading the first page thoroughly, I game competitively on Xbox one in rainbow6 currently just using hd598 with a dss2 is there anyone that can give me tips on better synergy amp+dac for the hd598 or better cans for the game in general with a recommended setup, budget around $1000. Was also wondering if anyone uses Dolby atmos or window sonic for rainbow6 and which one is a better option and just overallthrow some knowledge my way, thank you.
Don't read the thread from front to back, some of the info from the earliest discussions is severely outdated now.

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #39,265 of 48,562
hello guys

can someone help me to get best gaming experiance possible ??

right now my on the go audio gaming was AKG k702 ( no bump edition)

with a chinnese dac FX audio x-6 but i have best onboard (period on the z27x generation) an maximus ix hero motherboard so i often to switch up from onboard to my dac fx-x6

i only play comepetive CS GO , overwatch and pubg also mainstream game like dota 2 or others

i really want the best experiance for gaming as possible i can

i laid my eyes on sennheiser GSX-1000 gaming dac/amp ??

its have good christmast price in my country arround 170 usd ish

will the GSX-1000 boost my experiance in competitive gaming ???

as i really love the akg-702 i prefer it over ad700x

or should i spend my money on better dac like chord mojo or something ???

please enlight me i really want the best gaming experiance as possible (if can pls no advice to change headphone cause for me this headphone is good)

thanks fellow gamers :D

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #39,266 of 48,562
i laid my eyes on sennheiser GSX-1000 gaming dac/amp ??

as i really love the akg-702...
please enlight me i really want the best gaming experiance as possible (if can pls no advice to change headphone cause for me this headphone is good)
If you read the first page of thread K702 should be among the best ones for competitive gaming.
So no need/sense to look for other headphones.
Unless you want to have more balance between some strength in bass for more fun/immersion and little lower competetitiveness.

While having good binaural-simulation that's only thing GSX has for itself.
It uses low end Conexant DAC/output buffer chip meant for budget phones.
For comparison even ~30$ budget sound cards have better D/A converters. (that's what DAC means)
And obviously GSX isn't any good at driving more demanding headphones, with integrated Realtek chips matching it and half cheaper sound cards having more beef.
So as not a proper headphone amp or even as good DAC it's very overpriced...
(just like Razer/SteelSeries/what ever gaming brand headphones)

But now back to that what benefits headphone gaming most: binaural-simulation
Here's very good comparison...
With standard stereo at ~13mins if you want to start from super lousy "in left ear- in center of head - in right ear" immersion.

With good headphones difference between that standard stereo and then first minute is like between two different games.
Binaural simulation is something what fashionable "DACs" don't give.

Nov 12, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #39,267 of 48,562
I really can't give updated advice myself as I have been long gone from the headphone audio game. What I like has probably been outdone by now. The latest review was more a favor for a friend to see how good they were in my opinion.

Headphone audio, prices, quality changed considerably from when I first started reviewing.

Hell, I just noticed yesterday that such a thing as the HD660S existed. I'm sure the current mid-fi would blow my mind.

Yet, I still want a legit Denon D7000

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #39,268 of 48,562
I really can't give updated advice myself as I have been long gone from the headphone audio game. What I like has probably been outdone by now. The latest review was more a favor for a friend to see how good they were in my opinion.

Headphone audio, prices, quality changed considerably from when I first started reviewing.

Hell, I just noticed yesterday that such a thing as the HD660S existed. I'm sure the current mid-fi would blow my mind.

Yet, I still want a legit Denon D7000
You're always welcome to return to us completely! :wink:

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #39,269 of 48,562
IHeadphone audio, prices, quality changed considerably from when I first started reviewing.
Likely many newer models are more like "version updates"/incremental changes just like in PC part, phones etc...
Like Sennheiser HD599 replacing HD598.
(I wonder what next time because 600 is already taken)
While there's now evidently some purposeful messing:
Sennheiser also introduced closed model with HD598 model number.
Like all that naming mess of PC parts and smartphones wasn't enough....

Also Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition/Premium and Pro prices have come down considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back