Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 13, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #38,716 of 48,578
it works for movies but usual games only read the 2.0 from the DAC. The whole system is BS right now. I don't know what they were thinking. Should have been a virtual soundcard with 7.1.4 LS where you define the output of your choice in its settings. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #38,717 of 48,578
it works for movies but usual games only read the 2.0 from the DAC. The whole system is BS right now. I don't know what they were thinking. Should have been a virtual soundcard with 7.1.4 LS where you define the output of your choice in its settings. 

Bingo! That is what I am trying to say lol.

This whole "virtual surround" isn't even close to what some of us use (Dolby headphone or SBX).

M$ letting me down.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #38,718 of 48,578
The only way for a decent 7.1 solution to work is with a 7.1 signal that uses a series of crossfeeds for the various pairings, but even that's going to be dicey. Simulating 7 speakers with 2 speakers is never going to "feel" like 7.1. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #38,719 of 48,578
  The only way for a decent 7.1 solution to work is with a 7.1 signal that uses a series of crossfeeds for the various pairings, but even that's going to be dicey. Simulating 7 speakers with 2 speakers is never going to "feel" like 7.1. 

I haven't heard it myself, but I understand the Smyth Realiser might come pretty close. I think @Evshrug's heard it extensively (I think). But the "cheap" version is $1600, so you might as well just get a nice 7.1 system at that point.  

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #38,720 of 48,578

I haven't heard it myself, but I understand the Smyth Realiser might come pretty close. I think @Evshrug's heard it extensively (I think). But the "cheap" version is $1600, so you might as well just get a nice 7.1 system at that point.  

I'm of the mind that if 7.1 surround is that important to you, then you should be using speakers, not headphones. No matter what, headphones are stereo, anything they can do is simulation at best.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #38,722 of 48,578

The Atmos processing is added to the output while in digital form, and then typically sent to your computer's DAC to be converted to analogue for your headphone amp. You are just sending it to a better DAC for conversion, after the Atmos effect has been added.

It works great for me and I can tell the difference straight away. My HD800S and Ether flows sound amazing in games. It's pretty notocable to me actually. It may not be wiz bang audiophile 7.1 $3000 speaker great but for what it is, for my ears it sound pretty damn good.

I can't complain, in fact am enjoying it right now :)

Edit: using chord mojo with it.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #38,725 of 48,578
I'm of the mind that if 7.1 surround is that important to you, then you should be using speakers, not headphones. No matter what, headphones are stereo, anything they can do is simulation at best.

Read impressions about people that have tried the Realiser in person. They are literally dumbfounded and can't tell a difference between the "simulation" and real speakers.

Haven't tried it personally as I'm way up in Canada, but as far as I've seen the reviews are all very positive.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #38,726 of 48,578
Read impressions about people that have tried the Realiser in person. They are literally dumbfounded and can't tell a difference between the "simulation" and real speakers.

Haven't tried it personally as I'm way up in Canada, but as far as I've seen the reviews are all very positive.

For $1700 I'd just get actual speakers if that's what I'm trying to achieve.

The other problem is that true 7.1 doesn't move with you. Unless this thing has motion tracking then it means the "7.1 surround" is going to rotate and shift with your head, meaning you can't "look at" where the sound is coming from. It's just a futile pursuit, IMO. For the cost, it's not worth it.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #38,728 of 48,578

The other problem is that true 7.1 doesn't move with you. Unless this thing has motion tracking then it means the "7.1 surround" is going to rotate and shift with your head, meaning you can't "look at" where the sound is coming from. It's just a futile pursuit, IMO. For the cost, it's not worth it.

It does indeed have motion tracking 

You turn/move and the sounds remain coming from the correct points in space

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #38,729 of 48,578

It does indeed have motion tracking 

You turn/move and the sounds remain coming from the correct points in space

That's definitely a good step, then. 

I dunno, I'm just not sure the appeal of spending that kind of money instead of a few speakers, unless you really, really can't have them.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #38,730 of 48,578
Realistic multi channel listening through headphones, with you able to have different room setups, dynamics, systems regardless of your own environment at the push of a button.

Legit 5.1 for media that's 5.1, 7.1.2 for media that it supports, 2.0 with the realism of a speaker system for stereo, spaciousness of a concert hall even if the listening room is the size of an outhouse.

Late night or listening in densely populated areas with no concern that you're intruding upon family or neighbours.

The ability to have setups through the A16 that you couldn't afford otherwise

The ability to ignore actual room dynamics and have the sound play as if the room was perfectly conditioned

The ability to move the set easily to other areas, rooms, locations and still have it sound exactly as it does elsewhere.

How'd you like to have your (or someone else's) $xxxxxxx sound system replicated perfectly so you can listen to it in bed while the other half sleeps?

Gaming/VR etc with the soundstage actually matching the environment

Loungeroom design such that the TV is stuck in a corner (we don't all have perfectly designed and designated listening or theater rooms)- won't matter - A16 will place the speakers where they're meant to be, regardless of walls, furniture etc

From what I've read and seen - the A16 should do all this and more - all for a price that's reasonable to many (far less than some spend on cabling alone)

We're all here because we've chosen headphones for various reasons - the thought of being able to use them to replace a multi dollar, multi speaker system makes a hell of a lot of sense to many.

If it's honestly as good as it's being reported to be then hell yeah - I can see the appeal (have pre-ordered)

Main area I see it falling short is in LFE (where a subwoofer would be in a speaker system) - hopefully a transducer (buttkicker etc) will alleviate much of that issue.

edit: because you're asking in the gaming headphone thread - PC/Console gaming audio that would put to shame the other VSS solutions and almost all peoples computer audio setups - if you think the THX demo videos etc sound good now with headphones, wait til they sound like you're in an actual theater while wearing the cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back