Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 21, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #36,271 of 48,583
  if pc gaming why not download the razer surround software (its free) set it up and play a few rounds of your fav game through the razer then vanilia odac to compare if virtual surround in general helps you pinpoint locations better, if it does its then onto, dts:x,dolby headphone, sbx, razer surround etc etc.

Razer Surround is really, really bad when compared to DH or SBX. The only software solution worth considering is Out Of Your Head (whcih unfortunately is pretty costly and has some issues, but sounds amazing).

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #36,272 of 48,583
  Razer Surround is really, really bad when compared to DH or SBX. The only software solution worth considering is Out Of Your Head (whcih unfortunately is pretty costly and has some issues, but sounds amazing).

thanks for the info about the "out of your head" thing. i just watched the 6 min video. used the t70's i must say i hate the processing on movie soundtracks and even more on stereo music tracks but it is a convincing image of stereo speakers in front of you. i prefer using hd800 and clean stereo though.

for gaming and 5.1/7.1 could be good! i suggested the razer stuff cos its free and the person can then get an easy sample of the surround effects in what ever game they want to try.

the more i a/b my stuff the more often im settling with the x7 with t70's/cloud revolvers for closed competivite/fun and hd800/ath-adg1 for open fun/competitive.

for ease of use and quick setup i have a lot of love for the TAC but its noise floor leave that only workable with hd800, ath adg1, and t70's.

im having have messing around with it all! :D

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #36,273 of 48,583
  thanks for the info about the "out of your head" thing. i just watched the 6 min video. used the t70's i must say i hate the processing on movie soundtracks and even more on stereo music tracks but it is a convincing image of stereo speakers in front of you. i prefer using hd800 and clean stereo though.

for gaming and 5.1/7.1 could be good! i suggested the razer stuff cos its free and the person can then get an easy sample of the surround effects in what ever game they want to try.

the more i a/b my stuff the more often im settling with the x7 with t70's/cloud revolvers for closed competivite/fun and hd800/ath-adg1 for open fun/competitive.

for ease of use and quick setup i have a lot of love for the TAC but its noise floor leave that only workable with hd800, ath adg1, and t70's.

im having have messing around with it all! :D

The "free" part is the only good thing about Razer Surround IMO. For me the simulation was just really unconvincing, it sounded as if someone added reverb to the basic stereo signal. Unfortunately, OOYH does not provide an easy to use demo. Their trial version mutes audio after two minutes, it requires restart afterwards. However their gaming preset is really nice.

How are the T70 for gaming? I thought that maybe for my next headphone upgrade, instead of buying a full set I'll buy drivers only and transplant them into the COP shell to take advantage of the headset cable and variable bass.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #36,274 of 48,583
  Napalmhardcore your a legend! i have an onmi but can't be arsed to install the drivers (will do later to compare the delay and ill let you know compared to the x7)

Focusrite Scarlett! i was going to buy one and an audio technica xlr headset to use with razer surround to get what I'm after on the PC.

can you try reading a paragraph to yourself from a book with the monitor on and closed or in ear hp's on the omni and then the scarlett?

I'm almost sure the Scarlett is pretty close to zero delay, I'd compare that to the delay on the mixamp,TAC,Tritton ones, plantronics rig, and sound blaster x-fi platinum that i have. (but not zero delay on my zxr when playing with surround processing on!)

when i try reading with a delay i get all messed up. that's the issue i have with delays.

its like the analogue is still processed to some level prior to feeding back.

i have the same experience as you on the x7 and the crystal voice stuff, i like your explanation.

man i just hooked up the x7 again, its significantly better than the TAC. my bass is a little too punchy like its deviating, I'm reading the x7 thread that yethal mentioned and the poster says the op amps run on 22v. my muses are rated to 17v i think. switched them back to the originals and got an improvement. pretty sure they are not supplied 22v though as the two mono amps are rated at like 18v on the stock amps. i need a hand held multi meter!

thanks for checking the omni out again.

I've not had a chance to test yet, but in the case of the Scarlett, do you mean to try monitoring the signal once it has been sent to a DAW (digital audio workstation) with effects applied or zero latency monitoring? If the latter, I can already tell you the answer. When set up for zero latency monitoring, the Scarlett (I'm using the 6i6) doesn't do any analogue to digital conversion, it's an all analogue path. You can configure it in the software and then unplug it from the computer and use it as a stand-alone device. I've tried playing guitar etc through it and there seems to be no delay whatsoever.

If you mean to test it with effects applied (routing it into a DAW and back out again) I'd have to set up and test. I would expect the latency to be pretty low (depending on how it is setup). When routing in and out of a DAW it would be utilising optimised ASIO drivers. Outside of a DAW however, it uses Windows drivers and only operates in 16 bit mode and I can't remember off the top of my head what sample rates are available.

I'll test the Omni again in a bit and try reading a couple of passages to myself.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #36,275 of 48,583

I've not had a chance to test yet, but in the case of the Scarlett, do you mean to try monitoring the signal once it has been sent to a DAW (digital audio workstation) with effects applied or zero latency monitoring? If the latter, I can already tell you the answer. When set up for zero latency monitoring, the Scarlett (I'm using the 6i6) doesn't do any analogue to digital conversion, it's an all analogue path. You can configure it in the software and then unplug it from the computer and use it as a stand-alone device. I've tried playing guitar etc through it and there seems to be no delay whatsoever.

If you mean to test it with effects applied (routing it into a DAW and back out again) I'd have to set up and test. I would expect the latency to be pretty low depending on how it is setup). When routing in and out of a DAW it would be utilising optimised ASIO drivers. Outside of a DAW however, it uses Windows drivers and only operates in 16 bit mode and I can't remember off the top of my head what sample rates are available.

I'll test the Omni again in a bit and try reading a couple of passages to myself.

sorry my suggestion was a tad patronizing. the direct monitor on the Scarlett without any processing would be my benchmark of zero latency monitoring (this is how i find the Mixamp and TAC monitor) how does the omni compare is what i was asking.

the reading a book while using isolating headphones is the way i test how close to zero it is. oddly my x7 with non of the crystal voice on is actually pretty much on point (previously i must have been using the remove back ground noise option to get the delay, as you explained before), it has a horrible hiss without the crystal voice cleaning it up but better than my logitech g633's monitor(hissyer?). i still by a mile favor the TAC mic monitor.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #36,276 of 48,583
  sorry my suggestion was a tad patronizing. the direct monitor on the Scarlett without any processing would be my benchmark of zero latency monitoring (this is how i find the Mixamp and TAC monitor) how does the omni compare is what i was asking.

the reading a book while using isolating headphones is the way i test how close to zero it is. oddly my x7 with non of the crystal voice on is actually pretty much on point (previously i must have been using the remove back ground noise option to get the delay, as you explained before), it has a horrible hiss without the crystal voice cleaning it up but better than my logitech g633's monitor(hissyer?). i still by a mile favor the TAC mic monitor.

You weren't being at all patronising. I understood what you were getting at. I just wasn't sure if you wanted to know if the latency of the Scarlett with effects was low enough for voice monitoring or if you wanted me to test if the Omni is usable (I assume you mean with no effects applied). I'll hook em up in a while and test it for you :)

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #36,277 of 48,583

The "free" part is the only good thing about Razer Surround IMO. For me the simulation was just really unconvincing, it sounded as if someone added reverb to the basic stereo signal. Unfortunately, OOYH does not provide an easy to use demo. Their trial version mutes audio after two minutes, it requires restart afterwards. However their gaming preset is really nice.

How are the T70 for gaming? I thought that maybe for my next headphone upgrade, instead of buying a full set I'll buy drivers only and transplant them into the COP shell to take advantage of the headset cable and variable bass.

i got the COP too! i put dynamat inside the cups and their is much less platic ring then and with the holes closed and a chinese set of protien leather and memory foam pads i get a level of isolation unlike ANY other headphones i have.

i dont game with them as they are too sensitive for the TAC plus to be honest the mmx300 and t70 are wider sounding but cannot compete for isolation! i was going to buy the custom one studio's at 80ohm hoping they would pick up less hiss on the TAC.

slapping t70 drivers in that case could be awesome! let me know if you do that how it goes!

the t70 is faster sounding and dryer than the COP by quite some margin, without a seal on the pads the bass almost disappears and sounds not great but put them on well (i wear glasses) and the bass goes low and snaps.

if you can try them out its worth it, buying blind (i did) was a surprise in a way but one I'm happy with.

im now keeping my eye out for a t5 as my end game closed set.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #36,278 of 48,583
i got the COP too! i put dynamat inside the cups and their is much less platic ring then and with the holes closed and a chinese set of protien leather and memory foam pads i get a level of isolation unlike ANY other headphones i have.

i dont game with them as they are too sensitive for the TAC plus to be honest the mmx300 and t70 are wider sounding but cannot compete for isolation! i was going to buy the custom one studio's at 80ohm hoping they would pick up less hiss on the TAC.

I find well isolating headphones to be great for single player immersion, but not ideal when game chatting. Same with iems. Talking while having my ears muffled causes some serious ear fatigue.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #36,279 of 48,583
Yethal, we have to play some Bloodborne together sometime. I'm awake during crazy hours sometimes so I hope to catch you online one of these days.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #36,280 of 48,583

slapping t70 drivers in that case could be awesome! let me know if you do that how it goes!

the t70 is faster sounding and dryer than the COP by quite some margin, without a seal on the pads the bass almost disappears and sounds not great but put them on well (i wear glasses) and the bass goes low and snaps.

if you can try them out its worth it, buying blind (i did) was a surprise in a way but one I'm happy with.

im now keeping my eye out for a t5 as my end game closed set.

I'm surprised that COP modding never became as big as i.e t50rp modding. Those headphones are very easy to modify. Everything can be disassembled, nothing is glued together. The cable is removable by default. Seems like an easy target for improvement.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #36,281 of 48,583
I'm surprised that COP modding never became as big as i.e t50rp modding. Those headphones are very easy to modify. Everything can be disassembled, nothing is glued together. The cable is removable by default. Seems like an easy target for improvement.

I think because the T50rp mods improve an already capable driver, while something like a COP mod will require actual driver swapping. Still an interesting project, nonetheless.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #36,282 of 48,583
Yethal, we have to play some Bloodborne together sometime. I'm awake during crazy hours sometimes so I hope to catch you online one of these days.

This might be tricky. I live in the EST timezone, there's 7-9 hour offset between here and the US. I work 6am-2pm but still, that's about 9pm-5am American time.
I think because the T50rp mods improve an already capable driver, while something like a COP mod will require actual driver swapping. Still an interesting project, nonetheless.

I meant mods like the ones Packdemon is doing. Swapping pretty much everything but leaving the cups and the headset cable. Last time I checked he built a COP with DT1770 drivers inside.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #36,283 of 48,583
This might be tricky. I live in the EST timezone, there's 7-9 hour offset between here and the US. I work 6am-2pm but still, that's about 9pm-5am American time.

I meant mods like the ones Packdemon is doing. Swapping pretty much everything but leaving the cups and the headset cable. Last time I checked he built a COP with DT1770 drivers inside.

You'll be surprised at the hours I'm up playing, sometimes. I'm honestly surprised I don't catch you online that often. I have a couple Euro pals I game with during late late nights/early mornings.

Damn, son. A COP with DT1770 drivers sounds like gold!

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #36,284 of 48,583
You'll be surprised at the hours I'm up playing, sometimes. I'm honestly surprised I don't catch you online that often. I have a couple Euro pals I game with during late late nights/early mornings.

Damn, son. A COP with DT1770 drivers sounds like gold!

I don't play video games at home as often as I used to. It's not that I don't like to, it's just that after 8 hours of playing them at work I'd like to do something else for a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back