Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 2, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #36,123 of 48,562

Thanks for the suggestions, I did mention that it needs to be closed back, due to the nature of my apartment. I don't think I'll get the open back ones. If I lived alone, then maybe.

It's a bit of an exeggaration. It's not that leakage from open headphones is that disturbing for other people. Unless You have a baby sleeping in the same room and the baby is super sensitive it should be okay.

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #36,124 of 48,562

It's a bit of an exeggaration. It's not that leakage from open headphones is that disturbing for other people. Unless You have a baby sleeping in the same room and the baby is super sensitive it should be okay.

Well no. But I find that I'm unable to focus when people make sounds in my apartment. Or when there's kids around as guests - unplayable. Even closed headphones with cloth pads are kinda bad at that.

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #36,125 of 48,562
Well no. But I find that I'm unable to focus when people make sounds in my apartment. Or when there's kids around as guests - unplayable. Even closed headphones with cloth pads are kinda bad at that.

What kind of sound card, dac, or amp are you using?

I can recommend the RBH-HP2 and NAD Viso Hp50 as good, comfortable closed-back options. The Beyerdynamic Dt1770 and MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs (discontinued, but often available in the Classifieds) are also great closed backs.

I personally found the Meze 99 Classics uncomfortable, but they are said to be better with the new, larger ear pads.

What's your price range?

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #36,126 of 48,562
I remember the Oppo PM3 having good isolation when I demoed it for about a week. It's also Boompro compatible, pretty easy to drive, and a great all rounder for music and games.

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #36,128 of 48,562
What kind of sound card, dac, or amp are you using?

I can recommend the RBH-HP2 and NAD Viso Hp50 as good, comfortable closed-back options. The Beyerdynamic Dt1770 and MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs (discontinued, but often available in the Classifieds) are also great closed backs.

I personally found the Meze 99 Classics uncomfortable, but they are said to be better with the new, larger ear pads.

What's your price range?

I actually wrote it in the post. Soundcard is Creative X-Fi Titanium. Price range is 250-300 max. Can be more if it is worth it.I think they don't even sell those cans here that you named. :frowning2:

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #36,129 of 48,562
I actually wrote it in the post. Soundcard is Creative X-Fi Titanium. Price range is 250-300 max. Can be more if it is worth it.I think they don't even sell those cans here that you named. :frowning2:

Go for the Oppo I mentioned.

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #36,130 of 48,562
Raimo,
It's hard to say. It seems that you like particularly tall Earpads, to keep from putting pressure on earlobes, and deeper pads. Just so you know, deeper pads mess with the sound signature.

I liked the Oppo PM-3, it's a very capable and detailed closed headphone. I found the pads surprisingly comfortable, but there's a catch: they're still going to touch your ears. The material and the padding is plush and has a great squishiness, so I actually didn't mind it touching my ear, and that also contributed to it blocking sound a bit better. I also had to fiddle with it to find an angle I liked the comfort, but there's a sweet spot and once you hit it you can wear the headphones for hours.

Soundmagic also makes good closed headphones within your price range, they're mostly known for making pads that people like to use with other headphones for comfort reasons.

For $129 USD, I'm actually pleased with the Creative BlasterX H7 headset. Nothing wrong with the sound signature and seems to sound better than the price suggests, I like it better and find it more comfortable than the CAL!2. The Earpads are again soft and squishy, the clamp pressure seems like a nice balance, the style is similar to your DT770 except the pads are pleather and are more squishy/softer. You can detach the mic if you want, connect with USB or a regular headphone cable, and it just works well.

The AKG K553 is in your price range when I look at stores here, that could be one for you to check out too.

Lastly, there's nothing that blocks out distracting sound and is as easily customizable for comfort as an IEM... Try some Audio Technica IEMs within your budget.

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #36,131 of 48,562
Raimo,
It's hard to say. It seems that you like particularly tall Earpads, to keep from putting pressure on earlobes, and deeper pads. Just so you know, deeper pads mess with the sound signature.

I liked the Oppo PM-3, it's a very capable and detailed closed headphone. I found the pads surprisingly comfortable, but there's a catch: they're still going to touch your ears. The material and the padding is plush and has a great squishiness, so I actually didn't mind it touching my ear, and that also contributed to it blocking sound a bit better. I also had to fiddle with it to find an angle I liked the comfort, but there's a sweet spot and once you hit it you can wear the headphones for hours.

Soundmagic also makes good closed headphones within your price range, they're mostly known for making pads that people like to use with other headphones for comfort reasons.

For $129 USD, I'm actually pleased with the Creative BlasterX H7 headset. Nothing wrong with the sound signature and seems to sound better than the price suggests, I like it better and find it more comfortable than the CAL!2. The Earpads are again soft and squishy, the clamp pressure seems like a nice balance, the style is similar to your DT770 except the pads are pleather and are more squishy/softer. You can detach the mic if you want, connect with USB or a regular headphone cable, and it just works well.

The AKG K553 is in your price range when I look at stores here, that could be one for you to check out too.

Lastly, there's nothing that blocks out distracting sound and is as easily customizable for comfort as an IEM... Try some Audio Technica IEMs within your budget.

Seems like the H7 is a good alternative. Can you connect straight to sound card or does it have its own built in one? Are the earpads deep enough?

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #36,132 of 48,562
Might want to also check out the Beyer T70. I've read some good things about it especially at the discounted price they were offered for around the holidays.

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #36,133 of 48,562
Raimo,

Would you say the H7 sounds on par with the K553? I guess the H7 doesn't have compatible clothpads for order?

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #36,134 of 48,562
If any of you new rev HE-400i or PM1/2 owners need an adapter to use your BoomPro with, I'm your guy. I have mine listed in the classifieds (also in my signature) but figured I'd let you fellow gamers know, if interested, since the cable section often gets overlooked.

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #36,135 of 48,562
Seems like the H7 is a good alternative. Can you connect straight to sound card or does it have its own built in one? Are the earpads deep enough?

You can connect the H7 straight to a sound card if you use the analog cable, and yes it does have a built-in one that you can use as an alternative. I felt the earpads were deep enough (and the Oppo PM-3 earpads were deep enough), and large enough, but not as large and ear-free as the cavernous cups in the (open) Sennheiser HD700 and HD800.

Would you say the H7 sounds on par with the K553? I guess the H7 doesn't have compatible clothpads for order?

Honestly, I didn't say much about the K553 because I haven't heard it myself, I just know that it's AKG (I've owned 3 open AKGs) with big earcup openings and a closed-back. I still think you could/should look into it and reviews. The H7 is less expensive and you get what you pay for, it doesn't have exhilarating performance but I can't point to any part of it and say "that's a flaw" (other than my particular unit has the R/L channels reversed if I plug it into my PS4 using USB, though that could just be a settings issue, and sounds normal with the analog cable). Creative doesn't make cloth pads for it themselves, but it's quite possible other cloth pads may connect or be compatible... but I thought you specifically pointed out that cloth pads ruined the noise isolation of your current headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back