Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 16, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #29,026 of 48,580
  Hi I'm looking to buy the Sennheiser 598's, the only thing I'm a little worried about is my microphone (Samson meteor, standing on my desk) picking up sounds from the game / voices in skype and then being heard by the people I am on skype with, anyone has some experience with this? 

Thanks!

@Evshrug and @AxelCloris both use Blue microphones when gaming with open headphones and I've never heard any of the sound leakage.  It's nothing to worry about.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #29,027 of 48,580
I'm just curious, Mad. I mean, you were the only one to volunteer to send your cans on tour, plus I wouldn't mind giving my impressions on them.

Good news regarding your X2 replacement. I know you are happy you didn't have to go without them.

Will I really need to double amp the 15g with my 5.8?

Nah, not unless you plan on using a mic. The 15g is insensitive but within the bounds of the Mixamp, IIRC. I wouldn't doubt needing an amp on lowered volume games though. I dunno.

For music though, i have my phone maxed out and the volume is just moderate.

Pm me your info. I tend to delete my messages. I'll see about sending it out tomorrow or so.

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #29,028 of 48,580
Hey All,

Since this thread is constantly moving, I am going to post this question again with some added headphones from my earlier post.  I currently have a pair of DT 990s and I am considering getting a new pair of cans.  I do not play FPS games, so I am only interested in being fully immersed with some "fun" headphones.  A "perfect" headphone would be one with generous and tight bass that will not interfere with the ambient sounds in game.  Closed back only please.  As a side note, I do enjoy multiple genres of music while leaning towards hip hop, house, drums and bass, etc.  I will be using these about 90% of the time to game and 10% music.

I will be gaming on my PS4 and PC.  I have an Asus Phoebus sound card for my PC and I have decided to use my Denon receiver to game with my PS4.  I have tried the route of the mixamp, but I find that I personally enjoy gaming in stereo.  With that said, I am looking for owners of the following headphones to share their opinions with me. 

Nad Visio HP 50
Vmoda M100
B & W P7
Ultrasone Pro 900

Any recommendations are more then welcome :)

I am not completely sure that I want to part with my DT 990s, but if I can find something with more impact on the bass end and have a decent soundstage, then I may have to do a comparison one of these days.  I tried my brother's M50's and they are much better for music then gaming, although the bass was pretty enjoyable.  Also, does anyone know if I use a splitter into my receiver's headphone jack to incorporate the vmoda boom mic with headphones, will work with the PS4?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge!

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #29,029 of 48,580
  Hey All,

Since this thread is constantly moving, I am going to post this question again with some added headphones from my earlier post.  I currently have a pair of DT 990s and I am considering getting a new pair of cans.  I do not play FPS games, so I am only interested in being fully immersed with some "fun" headphones.  A "perfect" headphone would be one with generous and tight bass that will not interfere with the ambient sounds in game.  Closed back only please.  As a side note, I do enjoy multiple genres of music while leaning towards hip hop, house, drums and bass, etc.  I will be using these about 90% of the time to game and 10% music.

I will be gaming on my PS4 and PC.  I have an Asus Phoebus sound card for my PC and I have decided to use my Denon receiver to game with my PS4.  I have tried the route of the mixamp, but I find that I personally enjoy gaming in stereo.  With that said, I am looking for owners of the following headphones to share their opinions with me. 

Nad Visio HP 50
Vmoda M100
B & W P7
Ultrasone Pro 900

I am not completely sure that I want to part with my DT 990s, but if I can find something with more impact on the bass end and have a decent soundstage, then I may have to do a comparison one of these days.  I tried my brother's M50's and they are much better for music then gaming, although the bass was pretty enjoyable.  Also, does anyone know if I use a splitter into my receiver's headphone jack to incorporate the vmoda boom mic with headphones, will work with the PS4?

Best bet are the ultrasone pro 900, they are kinda like the dt990 but more focused bass, haven't had much experience with them but they seem like what you're looking for

just two questions, which dt do you have? the classic 990's or the pro's? And are the dt990 (the ones you have) not that good for immersive gaming? Just asking cause I'm almost pulling the trigger on the dt990 pro and than I saw your post which is a similar situation to mine:  not much of a fps player looking for immersive gaming (and some strong bass aswell)... just wondering cause some people say dt990's have amazing bass for open cans while some say they don't have enough... 

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #29,030 of 48,580
Nah, not unless you plan on using a mic. The 15g is insensitive but within the bounds of the Mixamp, IIRC. I wouldn't doubt needing an amp on lowered volume games though. I dunno.

Pm me your info. I tend to delete my messages. I'll see about sending it out tomorrow or so.

Next week will be better, for me, so I'll PM you my info this weekend as a reminder.

Do you want me to send you any of mine while I have the 15g?

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #29,031 of 48,580
Hey All,

Nad Visio HP 50
Vmoda M100
B & W P7
Ultrasone Pro 900

What is you're budget?

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #29,033 of 48,580
  Best bet are the ultrasone pro 900, they are kinda like the dt990 but more focused bass, haven't had much experience with them but they seem like what you're looking for

just two questions, which dt do you have? the classic 990's or the pro's? And are the dt990 (the ones you have) not that good for immersive gaming? Just asking cause I'm almost pulling the trigger on the dt990 pro and than I saw your post which is a similar situation to mine:  not much of a fps player looking for immersive gaming (and some strong bass aswell)... just wondering cause some people say dt990's have amazing bass for open cans while some say they don't have enough... 

I have the Premium 600 ohm version.  I have had these for over two years and have truly enjoyed them from day one.  For open headphones, they do have unusually impressive bass, although that is based on what others have said over and over again.  This was my introduction into the world of audiophile headphones, so I don't have any experience with other headphones.  They are definitely immersive while gaming, but I recently heard my brother's M50s and the bass hits harder then the DT 990s.  The soundstage is perfect IMO.  Positional awareness is extremely good and the bass really is present and impactful, but after hearing the M50s, I want a little more...BOOM!  It's being satisfied with what you have until you come across something else.  I've also wanted a pair of closed cans for awhile now and I'm extremely curious about what else is out there. 

As I saidbefore, I am not even sure if I want to move on to another pair at this point.  I think that says something about these headphones too.  I was going to sell these in order to get into something else, but I may just keep them and add another to the family :) 

The Ultrasone Pro 900s do seem like a really fun headphone, so those are the number 1 on my want list so far.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #29,036 of 48,580
I have owned them for over a year. They have a slightly u-shaped sound signature, one that I am postitve you will like based on what you are looking for.

Look them up, you will enjoy what you read :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #29,037 of 48,580

I have the Premium 600 ohm version.  I have had these for over two years and have truly enjoyed them from day one.  For open headphones, they do have unusually impressive bass, although that is based on what others have said over and over again.  This was my introduction into the world of audiophile headphones, so I don't have any experience with other headphones.  They are definitely immersive while gaming, but I recently heard my brother's M50s and the bass hits harder then the DT 990s.  The soundstage is perfect IMO.  Positional awareness is extremely good and the bass really is present and impactful, but after hearing the M50s, I want a little more...BOOM!  It's being satisfied with what you have until you come across something else.  I've also wanted a pair of closed cans for awhile now and I'm extremely curious about what else is out there. 

As I saidbefore, I am not even sure if I want to move on to another pair at this point.  I think that says something about these headphones too.  I was going to sell these in order to get into something else, but I may just keep them and add another to the family :) 

The Ultrasone Pro 900s do seem like a really fun headphone, so those are the number 1 on my want list so far.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

I see, thanks for the info this is what I wanted to know and I might go with the 990's after all 
biggrin.gif
 Good luck on your purchase 

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #29,038 of 48,580

You probably already have an amp, correct? Do yourself a favor and try a planar like the MrSpeaker's Mad Dog or HifiMan HE400i. Those are both phenominal for immersion.

Or, if you feel like saving up 250$, I'm almost positive someone is selling a LCD 2.2 for that cheap.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #29,039 of 48,580
The Pro 900 is essentially like a closed DT990. The bass WILL impress you. It's simply something that has to be heard. That being said, it's very mid bass focused. Lower bass isn't anything to write home about, though neither is low bass on the 990, so you're used to that. That mid bass though, holy crap.

And yes, if you want that M50 type boom, you do need to go with a closed headphone, or something like the older gen LCD2s.

The DT770 pro 80 is a very good, cost effective bass monster (lower bass). That has more boom than the M50 by a good stretch. You have to decide if you want that gut wrenching rumble, or if you want impact. Low bass = rumble, mid bass = impact, which stuff like the 990 is already good with.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #29,040 of 48,580

Next week will be better, for me, so I'll PM you my info this weekend as a reminder.

Do you want me to send you any of mine while I have the 15g?

Well if he wants to try them out later, I'd be happy to give them a try meanwhile. I want to see what volume you consider moderate, as I do wish to use them on a phone and on a PC. I'm assuming the lower volume design is their "Safer Hearing" feature which they cleverly call it that and also add "while still producing same perceived loudness" not to scare buyers away.

I'd like the opportunity to try these Ultrasone 15G's out, these would be the first pair of highly recommended headphones I would try on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back