Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 3, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #28,786 of 48,568
So, the X7 LE is really going to be MUCH better for us Headphone gamers, than the regular X7?

As far as I can see, besides the differences in limited-edition status, case color, power supply for the speaker amp, and lower-than-the-already-low output impedance (which only provide a benefit if you game with the most ultra-sensitive in-ear canalphones), there is no difference for headphone gamers and the extra $100 is better spent on a few games.

The only difference to the headphone section is the X7 has ~2.2 ohms output impedance (already very low) while the X7 LE has ~1 ohm output impedance. Are your headphones less than 16 ohms impedance? If not, the X7 and X7 LE will perform exactly the same.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #28,787 of 48,568
HD558 is on sale for $90 on amazon right now!

http://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A

I'm considering getting one just to experience one of the better-reviewed gaming cans in the guide.

I've read that there's a mod to turn the 558 into the 598 and vice versa.

You know, I can't find Mad's HD558 review in the guide? I do see the HD598, and the PC360 (which IIRC is an HD555 + mic). I really wish I'd gone for the last big HD598 sale, but at that point I had HD700 on the way...
Don't get me wrong, the HD700 is good as a reference can and marathon session comfort can, it's like a hybrid of top of the line Grado and Sennheiser, but I have an even better reference can, and I need to sell off some gear for some long-anticipated and unanticipated expenses.

And the HD558 isn't easily modded to sound like the HD598, that was true for the 555/595 but not this gen. The HD558 mod makes it sound "different" but not like the HD598.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #28,788 of 48,568
Man, BF Hardline sounds good through the Recon3D+Fiio E11+K7XX although I had the SB Z installed in my PC, I had to return it since it is defective :frowning2:. The amp that is.

But the audio sounds pretty good so far in Hardline, sound effects are different from BF4 and sound more cinematic. Although I still feel like they can work on the sounds a bit more, then again, there is so much going on during the game that trying to be competitive gets a bit hard trying to pinpoint the shots but the K7XX does pretty well still, considering how the bass sounds with these......everything sounds just right when wearing the K7XX.

I will write something more detailed later during the week, since I barely only played 2 rounds a few minutes ago.

EDIT:

Game feels fast pace though, kind of CODish.........which I dont mind but they can slow it down a bit

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #28,789 of 48,568
Are you certain, Evs?. The Description for the LE states something about more power for headphones. It is a pretty huge jump in power being supplied.

Stillhart, the 558 does not turn into the 598 with a mod. That has already been debunked. It makesnit sound CLOSER to a 598, but not the same. I believe it has to do with internal acoustics or something. In any case, i like the 558 more than the 598, so YMMV. 558 for $90.... that's a damn good deal.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #28,790 of 48,568
You know, I can't find Mad's HD558 review in the guide? I do see the HD598, and the PC360 (which IIRC is an HD555 + mic). I really wish I'd gone for the last big HD598 sale, but at that point I had HD700 on the way...
Don't get me wrong, the HD700 is good as a reference can and marathon session comfort can, it's like a hybrid of top of the line Grado and Sennheiser, but I have an even better reference can, and I need to sell off some gear for some long-anticipated and unanticipated expenses.

So your selling your hd 700's? If so pm me.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #28,791 of 48,568
That's because i havent reviewed the 558. However, it sounds a lot like the PC360

The Sound Blaster X7 reflects the skill of its exclusive 1 ohm headphone amp output impedance, with a nice kick of extra audio amplification power.

I'd hold off on speculation that its the same as the standard X7, until Creative clarifies.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #28,792 of 48,568

I was operating under the assumption that it was pretty much the same as the 598 when I wrote that -- or at least it could be with a mod.  Since that's apparently not the case, I apologize for the misleading comment!

I am probably not going to get it since I'm trying to sell off some gear so I can upgrade to an NFB-28.  

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #28,794 of 48,568
Down that Audio GD path...

Been doing my research and I just don't see anything with the same value proposition for a balanced Amp and DAC, either all in one or separate, with a Sabre DAC.  (The NFB-10SE is the same DAC I have and I want something more neutral for my next one.)  The only things close are used Oppo HA-1 or used Mjolnir/Gungnir, but those are both hundreds more and arguably not much better.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #28,795 of 48,568
Are you certain, Evs?. The Description for the LE states something about more power for headphones. It is a pretty huge jump in power being supplied.

That's because i havent reviewed the 558. However, it sounds a lot like the PC360
I'd hold off on speculation that its the same as the standard X7, until Creative clarifies.

I could be wrong. I've read the white papers and the release info from creative (as you probably have, too), from that I gathered that the upgraded power supply allows 4 ohm speakers to hit 50W/50W peaks (100W total), but your quote is the first I've read about any power effect to the headphone amp section. Pretty sure it still uses the same OpAmp chip, and on a power basis will still have more than enough.

Down that Audio GD path...

Well hey, he's liked their products so far :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #28,796 of 48,568
I love Audio-GD. I just wish they were stateside. NFB5 is still my fave dac/amp.

Still, with the advent of the Creative X7, if I'm gonna get a desktop rig, may as well get one that also has virtual surround. :wink:

I just REALLY want them to clarify power specs.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #28,797 of 48,568
I love Audio-GD. I just wish they were stateside. NFB5 is still my fave dac/amp.

Still, with the advent of the Creative X7, if I'm gonna get a desktop rig, may as well get one that also has virtual surround. :wink:

I just REALLY want them to clarify power specs.

Yet it seems so difficult for them to do so... but why?

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #28,798 of 48,568
I've emailed them, so hopefully they'll actually look for a definite answer instead of having some no knowledge PR person answer.

I basically worded it just how we expect an answer:

"Can you clarify how much power the X7 and the X7 LE output to headphones at varying impedances? For example: ??? mw @ 32 ohm, ??? mw @ 50 ohm (this is a good one to know for Planars), ??? mw @ 300 ohm (this is good for Sennheisers like the 600, 650, 800), ??? mw @ 600 ohm"

If they can't fill out at LEAST the 32ohm and 600ohm specs... I'm gonna be upset. You would think these are things they HAVE to measure. I just added the planar, senn stuff for this post.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #28,799 of 48,568
I'm sure SOMEONE will know that answer. Let's see how long it will take for them to answer it.

In other news, I'm really thinking about trying the M50x. I don't want to pay much, but I do remember liking the OG M50 a lot when I had it. I have a feeling it may just be the portable I've been searching for this whole time, just overlooking. For the right price, I might jump on it.

Edit: I also see AT released a new set open and closed headphones. I wonder if they're stepping their game up. That R70x might be the schiit for gaming, but a bit too pricey at it's current state.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #28,800 of 48,568
I've emailed them, so hopefully they'll actually look for a definite answer instead of having some no knowledge PR person answer.

I basically worded it just how we expect an answer:

"Can you clarify how much power the X7 and the X7 LE output to headphones at varying impedances? For example: ??? mw @ 32 ohm, ??? mw @ 50 ohm (this is a good one to know for Planars), ??? mw @ 300 ohm (this is good for Sennheisers like the 600, 650, 800), ??? mw @ 600 ohm"

If they can't fill out at LEAST the 32ohm and 600ohm specs... I'm gonna be upset. You would think these are things they HAVE to measure. I just added the planar, senn stuff for this post.

The Headphone amp they use is rated at a max of 1.5 W and 700 mA. It's 1.5 W at 16 ohms, since it's rated at 1 W at 32 ohms. This is from TIs website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back