Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #2,776 of 48,583

Quote:
IISol
I don't think the DT770 pro 80 will disappoint you.
edit: GAWDAMMIT, now the bottom of the pads are exerting too much pressure on my jawbone..., and while I was enjoying them for non-bassy genres, one trance track snuck into my current playlist, and just ruined it again for me. The DT990 Pros are definitely going back.
I'm seriously screwed. I probably won't even open the DT990/600, and just straight return it. Looks like nothing is going to be good. The D7000's pads get hot, the Beyers hurt my jaw... I'm left with nothing to satisfy me. Comfort is absolute priority, and I guess there's nothing other than clip ons that don't alienate my comfort in some way.

Maybe you could switch the d7000 pads, or stretch your beyers out on a box to loosen the clamp?

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #2,777 of 48,583

Quote:
I didn't like DT990+Lyr that much (prefered DT990+E9), but well, that's another story.

My mistake... I meant E9 sounded better paired with DT990/600 for MY ears.
Lyr (Valvo/Mullards/Lorenz)+DT990 sounded very bassy, Both me and another friend (the one that bought my E7/E9/DT990) heard distortions because there was too much bass. However, in the Lyr thread are many people that loves that combo.

Quote:
LOLWHUT?
edit: I C whut u did thar
Explain... though. The Lyr dulled the DT990 too much, right? Same issue I had with the D7000+Lyr.
Hell, not looking for another journey. Just something and call it a day. If the HE500 has just enough bass and treble (I'm still a fan of v-shaped curves, but a lot more subtle v-shape), this may be where I finish. If not, maybe the HE4 again, though it would cost more, as they'd need an amp immediately, whereas the HE500 would sound great off the E9 for now.
Kinda hoping the DT990 tomorrow redeems itself, that or the comfort is good enough so I exchange for a DT880/600. That would save me like $500.

For your sake, let's hope you are happy with DT990 or DT880

Good thing is that they dropped the HE-500 price :)

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #2,778 of 48,583

Quote:
Seriously based off sound alone, if I just wanted some game and move cans, these would be it. EASILY. Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt my new favorite sound for music and movies, due to the soundstage, airyness, and yet awesome bass. The D7000 ticks everything for me, except airyness and openess.
I actually have to say the surround cues on the DT990 Pro are slightly better than the Premium DT990. They are that good when paired with Dolby Headphone.

Wait, which dt990 are you talking about?

I'm assuming the Pro's, but i cant tell.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2,779 of 48,583
It's not the clamp. The Premiums didn't really even have clamp, but because the pads rested on my jaw, it caused discomfort. Mind you, it was more of nagging is issue, than a painful one.

I seriously believe the bass on the D7000 now would be to much for me now. As much as I absolutely loved it when I owned it, I did say that the bass could be just a little less quantity-wise, and I said that when I was basshead. Now, I don't think I'd love it like before.

Honestly, if I had $900 around, I'd buy the Lyr+HE4. It's actually cheaper to get the HE500 first.

But if all goes well, perhaps the Premium DT990 is all I need, or the Premium DT880, jawbone issues aside..

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2,780 of 48,583
Wait, which dt990 are you talking about?

I'm assuming the Pro's, but i cant tell.

You assume correctly. :) The DT990 Pro reminds me a lot of the DT770 Pro 80 in terms of just how godly they sound in terms of surround positional cues. I did rate that aspect of the DT770 Pro 80s higher than ANY and every headphone I used ever. The DT990 Pro may be just as good, but I don't have the games that would really showcase this and make it a fact for me.

Obazavil, I was afraid of that. The Lyr definitely adds bass compared to the E9, which may have put the DT990/600 in DT990 Pro quantity of bass, which would make the repurchase moot for me. I guess the Lyr wouldn't be ideal for me then for the DT990s (maybe for the DT880s).

edit: I think if the Beyer T1 was in the price range of reality, those would actually be the perfect headphone for me.

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #2,781 of 48,583

Quote:
You assume correctly.
smily_headphones1.gif
The DT990 Pro reminds me a lot of the DT770 Pro 80 in terms of just how godly they sound in terms of surround positional cues. I did rate that aspect of the DT770 Pro 80s higher than ANY and every headphone I used ever. The DT990 Pro may be just as good, but I don't have the games that would really showcase this and make it a fact for me.
Obazavil, I was afraid of that. The Lyr definitely adds bass compared to the E9, which may have put the DT990/600 in DT990 Pro quantity of bass, which would make the repurchase moot for me. I guess the Lyr wouldn't be ideal for me then for the DT990s (maybe for the DT880s).
edit: I think if the Beyer T1 was in the price range of reality, those would actually be the perfect headphone for me.

Lol, I just purchased the Asgard on basis of it being cheapest and also sounding as good with HE-500 as the Lyr does (according to MalVeaux, my secret headphone insider) and that should be it for me.

Now, I'm just worried about treble spikes, since the asgard can make the treble hott on some headphones :O

that would suck with the beyers, with their already hott treble 

you can never win

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2,782 of 48,583
I don't think the HE500's treble will ever reach DT990 treble, even with the Asgard, so I'd say you're safe. :D

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #2,783 of 48,583
So, after all of that crap I said before about going full bore for the 600-ohm DT 880s and a good amp to power them, then researching amps for a couple of days and overthinking things way too much, I decided to just order the 250-ohm version after all and I'll just plug them into the X-Fi. If I don't like the basic sound signature of the headphones, I have more cash left to try something else.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #2,785 of 48,583
Dec 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #2,787 of 48,583
I guess I forgot to mention the DT990s were supposed to be a bday present for myself yesterday. I turned 29. Waaaaah, almost 30. I still feel 18 yrs old. The big 3-0 scares me. XD

Speaking of the DT990, just got them in. Let's hope for the best. edit: Already can tell, the bass is more in line with the sound, making it easier on the ears. The bass is now absolutely perfect for me, just as I remember the DT990/600 to be. The treble is also a bit sharper than the DT990 Pros, so it's the trade off.

Oh yes, the DT990/600's bass sounds like a bassy open can (quicker, and better textured), while the DT990 Pro's bass sounds like the closed can type (long decay, boomier), so the Pros are definitely for ultra bassheads in terms of overall bass presence.

The fit is definitely better on the Pros. I don't like that the Premiums just sort of sit on top of my head. The headband on the Pros is definitely more comfy.

I will keep the DT990/600. This is the type of sound I want. The treble could use a slight reduction, but it's something I was already used to. I'll have to find an amp that mellows out the treble just a smidge. Not super important. Man, I miss the sound off these. So much happier. Yep, I'm definitely keeping these.

edit: Wow, setting the E9 to low gain is BETTER than high gain with the DT990s. I been so used to using high gain all this time. Low gain sounds less compressed and more fleshed out. What? I may not even need a new amp!

As for Mixamp on Vita:

It would work if the Vita had a Pro Logic II option. IF it did, you'd have to have a wired Mixamp with an RCA in, as well as a having an RCA to 3.5mm cable. On the Mixamp 5.8, you'd need an 3.5mm to RCA cable + an RCA to optical converter box.

Pretty sure The Vita won't have that option though. It definitely can, as PLII works with all stereo signals, but I don't see devs using it, because they wouldn't think people would attach stuff to it like that. Maybe I'll be proven wrong when FPS games start making their way onto the Vita.

The Vita will most likely stick to a "Headphone Surround" mode within individual games, which wouldn't come close to Dolby Headphone.

Oh, I'm super jealous. I want a Vita... terribly.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #2,788 of 48,583
I like the clamping force with the Pros. The premiums are too loose for me.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #2,789 of 48,583
Just wanna mention that the Mixamp 5.8 alone has a hard time powering the 600ohm DT990. That's even with the Mixamp pulling its power on the game audio. This wasn't an issue with the wired Mixamp (though intense bass made it clip at times). The DT990 with the Mixamp 5.8 at max volume is barely what I consider moderate levels. Definitely need to attach the E9 to juice it well.

The 250ohm can go quite loud without maxing volume, so take that into account.

Funny, the wired Mixamp drove the 32 and 600ohms to the same volume virtually at the same spot on the volume knob.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #2,790 of 48,583
I find the wired mixamp sometimes clip on heavy bass too. This is with me running it at 60/40 chat to game volume, though I do have the volume knob at 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back